Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by twdant View Post
    Well, the knot system worked great, but the constrictor knot, even though it was 15" long, slipped every time. I suppose it's because the entire weight of that end of the hammock was being supported by that constrictor instead of just half like in a whoopie sling.
    I tied a little continuous loops of mason's twine to the unloaded end of the constrictor and prusiked it to the line the constrictor slides on. Before loading the constrictor I'd pull the unloaded end and slide the prusik up. When loaded, the prusik keeps tension on that end of the constrictor. I've also seen people use small O-rings and silicone tubing around the unloaded end of the constrictor to accomplish the same thing.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Looks like to attach the suspension the hammock must be separate, am I correct? If so I would put something like a fixed loop or a soft shackle. This way your not taking the larks head off the hammock every time. When I whip my hammocks I like to leave them whipped, less chance of failure or slippage from taking it on and off. Maybe something to think about, may be knot
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    down all around
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Looks like to attach the suspension the hammock must be separate, am I correct? If so I would put something like a fixed loop or a soft shackle. This way your not taking the larks head off the hammock every time. When I whip my hammocks I like to leave them whipped, less chance of failure or slippage from taking it on and off. Maybe something to think about, may be knot
    I don't have to take the lark's head off every time. On the hammock end, there's just a locked brummel lark's headed through the end channel. On the tree end, there's just the diamond knot chain and hugger loops.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    With all due respect...

I've only ever had amsteel or webbing break at a knot. It won't happen the first or the second time but eventually you will see stress marks around the knots and sooner or later it will break.

It is a quite ingenious concept though, kudos for that, but I'm sticking with my all-in-one whoopie slings.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I am having trouble picturing it. It looks like you have 4 diamond stoppers then a section and a last stopper. I can see the section between the last 2 goes the tree hugger but it looks like the cord goes on the outside and makes a crisscross and then back of the other stoppers. But it all looks like its on the outside like you would have to feed the whole suspension through it, twist then do it again. I may be looking at it all wrong.

Hammock
    DIY GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    down all around
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I am having trouble picturing it. It looks like you have 4 diamond stoppers then a section and a last stopper. I can see the section between the last 2 goes the tree hugger but it looks like the cord goes on the outside and makes a crisscross and then back of the other stoppers. But it all looks like its on the outside like you would have to feed the whole suspension through it, twist then do it again. I may be looking at it all wrong.
    Not quite. Imagine a really big locked brummel loop with 5 diamond stoppers at the end, about 1/2" apart. All there is to do is feed the diamond chain through the webbing loop, which leaves you with an equal length of diamond chain on one side, and parallel lines (ending with the splice) on the other side. I just stick the diamond knots through, then cross the parallel lines after the first knot, then pass the next 4 knots through and cross again leaving 3 knots. I just continue that process until all 5 knots are caught between the crisscrossed hugger lines. The whoopie bury comes after the diamond knots. The hammock side is just a locked brummel lark's head.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by twdant View Post
    Not quite. Imagine a really big locked brummel loop with 5 diamond stoppers at the end, about 1/2" apart. All there is to do is feed the diamond chain through the webbing loop, which leaves you with an equal length of diamond chain on one side, and parallel lines (ending with the splice) on the other side. I just stick the diamond knots through, then cross the parallel lines after the first knot, then pass the next 4 knots through and cross again leaving 3 knots. I just continue that process until all 5 knots are caught between the crisscrossed hugger lines. The whoopie bury comes after the diamond knots. The hammock side is just a locked brummel lark's head.
    Wait did you hear that.... Listen again.... did ya hear it again. That was me slapping myself in the head. I see exactly what your talking about now. Very nice.

As mentioned before a knot degrades the line right. What if instead of putting all those diamond knots on the UCR, you put them IN the UCR. A splice doesn't degrade Amsteel near as much as a knot right. What if where your knots are places you inserted a piece of Amsteel and made a diamond knot with that. This way the UCR is just spliced into and the knots can be replaced if need be?

Hammock
    DIY GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    down all around
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I see how that could/would work. There's still my personal issue with having to defeat the slipping bury. I guess I'm just a purist and don't want to have to tie any knots to keep it from slipping.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    You would still have the diamond knots in the exact places but instead of being part of the sling itself, they are spliced on. No knot in the sling just a splice. Exactly what ya got but knots spliced on instead of tied into.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456