Hammock
    tablecloth
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tyvek Tarp Question

I've noticed a lot of people using Tyvek for tarps; I work in construction and know that your typical Tyvek house wrap is only good for 6 months exposed to UV. My question is what is ya'lls experience with Tyvek, is it exposed to enough UV while camping to degrade it as much as it would on a house?

Quote Originally Posted by thesilence View Post
    I've noticed a lot of people using Tyvek for tarps; I work in construction and know that your typical Tyvek house wrap is only good for 6 months exposed to UV. My question is what is ya'lls experience with Tyvek, is it exposed to enough UV while camping to degrade it as much as it would on a house?
    That's 6 months continuous exposure on a construction site. My current Tyvek Tarp has seen 2 years of use - between 30 and 40 nights each year. I haven't experienced any leaks, misting, or tears.

That said, both Tyvek and silnylon degrade from UV exposure and repeated stuffing/folding. Here's a discussion on Backpackinglight regarding the degradation of various silnylon shelters.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Even if it did degrade over time, it took me 30 minutes to cut out and another 30 to add tie outs. The material was free (asked for it from a worker). Worth it if it lasts a year, but I expect it to last much longer since I only use it camping a few times per year and in the backyard pretty often, but never left out for several days.

As far as the UV exposure, I've read reports of people repurposing their old camping tarp or groundsheet as a tarp to cover a shed or other stuff in their yard and it lasting several years.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I have a odd assortment of things I have made with tyvek, nine years in use now, not every day, usually I use my gear in woodland settings. I like the feel of my aged tyvek.

• + New Posts