Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Superfly

How do you cool off on hot nights?

I've ordered a double-layer WBBB, but I've never hung in a nylon hammock. I have a cotton hammock in the yard, and in the heat the cotton feels OK.

I was just wondering what solutions the experienced hangers had explored for chillin' on those hot muggy nights.

Cotton sheet?

Silk liner?

Stay home?
    "I'd rather rein in a bull than prod an ***."

Survival News Online
    The Truth About Liberty
    SNOmultimedia YouTube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Many find their backs get cool even at around 70 degrees. I just loosen my underquilts to allow more airflow or even take it right off. Nylon hammocks are cool in the summer because of the airflow around you as well as the heat loss from you back being against the nylon.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

you still go. I camped this past July at Fiery Gizzard. The day time temps were 95° to 100°. We built a fire to fight off the bugs that evening. We still brought a summer top and under quilt with us. Hamhocker uses a full length underquilt while I used a 3/4 one. The top quilts were moved to the side until you needed it.

Oh BTW I was using a WBBB and she was using a bridge hammock
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan View Post
    I've ordered a double-layer WBBB, but I've never hung in a nylon hammock. I have a cotton hammock in the yard, and in the heat the cotton feels OK.

I was just wondering what solutions the experienced hangers had explored for chillin' on those hot muggy nights.

Cotton sheet?

Silk liner?

Stay home?
    Stay home? Perish the thought! I can say that single-layer nylon feels great against the skin on hot nights- for me, anyway. I haven't hung in my double-layer on a really hot night yet, so am not sure if the second layer will change that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Many find their backs get cool even at around 70 degrees. I just loosen my underquilts to allow more airflow or even take it right off. Nylon hammocks are cool in the summer because of the airflow around you as well as the heat loss from you back being against the nylon.
    Yep, yep!

It's usually cooler when I'm in my hammock on a stupid hot night, than it is when I'm just standing, or sitting around. One trick I do use, are alcohol wipes. I carry a stack of them anyway to clean my feet at the end of the day. Take one and wipe down your neck and chest, then sit back and enjoy a little physics while the alcohol evaporates and cools your skin. Good stuff!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    It helps to swing a little, gets a little air moving around you. I tie a string to a stake and pull it to get myself swinging. Rig it up any way possible. Works fairly well.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I am assuming you are referring to very warm weather where little or no insulation is required. Generally, the hammock is more ventilated than a tent, and the airflow beneath you can make a huge difference. The nylon against your back compresses any loose insulation (yes, even a t-shirt can insulate a little) and acts like a heat sink. Your front is more likely to be hot than your back. Rocking the hammock helps, as does a highly assym position that lowers the hammock profile (more airflow). I will sometimes hang my feet slightly off the hammock too at the start of a warm night and then draw them in when it cools.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I do summer camping down here in He...er...Florida, and the hammock definitely helps with airflow over my body.

+1 on NCPatrick's method of getting swinging (I usually use the Hennessy tie-outs if there isn't a breeze), though setting up in an area that's going to get a breeze is definitely a help. Out of the two nights I slept on the FL Trail in Ocala National Forest last August, I had one sweltering night without a breeze and one very comfortable one with a breeze.

You'll be surprised by how comfortable a hammock is after a long day on the trail during the summertime. If it's going to be above 65 F for the lows, I don't even worry about bottom insulation. I bring a poncho liner along as a top quilt, and it works well enough even compressed if I need to tuck it under me due to unexpected low temperatures in that range.

Now, if you're camping somewhere where the lows will get below 70-ish (I know I said 65 above, but I'm a very hot sleeper compared to most folks), it might be worth bringing a light underquilt or pad to help out. You may or may not wind up needing it, but better to be prepared than not.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    sleep neikid.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    A silk liner used by itself should make you feel cooler. Silk is breathable and will wick moisture away from your body, and will spread that out over the surface of the liner. It dries very quickly. More moisture exposed to evaporation over a greater surace area, evaporating more quickly, will make things cooler than they would be evaporating over the surface of your body by itself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast