Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images

Enchanted Rock (Texas) Questions

Do any of your experience Texas hangers have any advice on hanging at Enchanted Rock? I'm going there with a group (almost entirely ground dwellers) mid-April and need to know if there are ample places to hang there. I think we're doing a car camping site as most people don't have backpacking equipment.

I've never been to this state park, so I have no idea what to expect. I've seen several posts on HF about visiting and hiking there, but only about one post suggesting that hanging was done there. Basically I want to make sure I don't end up having to go to ground, and I welcome any comments/suggestions about the locale in general.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Wood Tog
    I love Enchanted Rock. Haven't been there in years now that I live in SC. Back then, I had a cheep net hammock to lounge in.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    I was just there back in December. Sorta in my backyard (in Texas measurements that is!). There are ample hang spots. There is also a nice primitive site not far into the park that I have swung a hammock; just for day hiking. You will find trees all over the park, just not up on the rocks themselves obviously. This past December was my first stay in the car camping area. Here's a pic of what the car sites look like. ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/wckeith...57629421551569 ). They are all more of "walk-in" type sites. It's a pretty sweet little park.
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed." -- Christopher McCandless (Into the Wild)

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cashkeith View Post
    I was just there back in December. Sorta in my backyard (in Texas measurements that is!). There are ample hang spots. There is also a nice primitive site not far into the park that I have swung a hammock; just for day hiking. You will find trees all over the park, just not up on the rocks themselves obviously. This past December was my first stay in the car camping area. Here's a pic of what the car sites look like. ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/wckeith...57629421551569 ). They are all more of "walk-in" type sites. It's a pretty sweet little park.
    +1

Ample is the operative word. If you arrive during the week you should be in good shape, if on the weekend, you may have limited options.

I've hung there and hiked there. Not all of the sites will work for hammocks, (walk-in car camp or hike-in primitive), and this is definitely not a place for a group hang, but if you are the only hanger the odds are in your favor that you'll find a spot to hang.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Great, thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I should be okay, and I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    So apparently you have to book the walk-in (not primitive) sites over 1.5 months in advance. We are planning to go April 20-22 and all the Enchanted Rock sites are already taken.

I'm now trying to decide between Bastrop State Park and Hill Country State Natural Area. Has anyone been to either/both of these and can provide some guidance or recommendations? Thanks!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I loved Bastrop before the fire. They have reopened but not completely from what I hear. Call and see what they have open.

Never been to SNA but have heard great things about it from Rat. You may want to pm him for tips and details in case he misses this thread.
    Last edited by UncleMJM; 03-05-2012 at 10:22. Reason: my phone can't spell
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Thanks! Sent him a PM.

Enchanted Rock hammocking

I hammock camped at Enchanted rock last fall, during the great "gas shortage" Night time temps were nice. I really didn't need a bug net, but brought one and my tarp. There'were plenty of trees for hanging my hammock. I was camping in the primitive area behind the rock. I was awoken twice during the night by a pack of roaming coyotes...they didn't bother me, but they make a loud ruckus as they wondered through my campsite (well within 25 yards or so). There was a nearby outhouse, but no potable water source other than a small pond. I don't remember what the camping fee was, but it seemed kind of high. Trekking poles come in handy when traversing through the rocks. I would imagine it would be very hot and buggy during the summer months.
    Last edited by rkuehner; 03-12-2018 at 16:49.

• + New Posts