Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockMan View Post
    Im confused on the downproof and all that? what is that stuff?
    Downproof just means that the nylon fabric has been hot-rolled. It flattens the fibers and tightens the weave so down won't leak out...

The fabric is great for hammocks, underquilts, etc.

just don't use "coated" fabrics. DWR is ok (durable, water resistant) means it sheds water (mostly). Coated (Polyeurothane or Silicone) is waterproof and good for tarps, bad for hammocks...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Yes - 1.1 nylon (no coating except DWR as John said)
    Yes - www.DIYGearSupply.com (my #1 go-to)
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Stretch marks!?

Hi

I bought material from DIY gearsupply and the material has got stretch marks after some usage (around 10 nights), it is getting worse and I am worried that the material will rip. I used the 1.1 not calendered seconds, maybe it would have been better with calendered which is supposed to keep the material together!? In a month I will be out for 12 nights and naturally I dont want it to rip apart. Im 85 kilos/187 lbs. Any experience on the issue?

Quick delivery from DIY buy the way!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    That may or may not be a problem. Most likely not unless you can see the weave separating. I say this because nylon stretches quite a bit. It's a normal characteristic of the material. Remember, your weight is not equally distributed in a hammock. I would expect the material to stretch more in one area than in another. Nylon also carries some memory of that stretch, especially when we are talking about our full body weight on a gossamer thin layer of it.

I'm curious as to which fabric you used. By posting that, others that have used that same fabric may be able to add their experiences. Personally, I have used 3 different fabrics from that supplier for hammocks, all with success.

Also, if it turns out to be a real problem, contact Scott directly. You won't be disappointed.

A final note, I have found that I prefer the stretch of nylon as I have used non-stretchy polyester for hammocks and been less comfortable.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I can clearly see the weave separate in streaks all over the place pretty much which is strange. I would guess it separeted more at the high load areas. I dont see him selling the uncalendared anymore but it was green 1.1oz Ripstop Nylon, 2nds that i bought. I will contact the shop to see what they say.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Very interesting. I have never seen that on calendared fabric, even when I exceeded the norm for weight. My current hammock is a sl 1.1 and I weigh 210#...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Very interesting. I have never seen that on calendared fabric, even when I exceeded the norm for weight. My current hammock is a sl 1.1 and I weigh 210#...
    Just to clarify, my fabric is not calendered. Maybe you made the comment as a comparison between your calendared/my not calendared?

Good customer service DIY gearsupply

All I can say is that DIY gearsupply handled my separated weave issue beyond expectations! Good job!

I dont have a enough experience on this to make a general recomendation but personally I will not buy uncalendared material for hammock projects again. Im jumping a bit to conclusions here, taking for granted that the calendared material will not behave the same way but since other people dont see the problem I hope I will have the same luck. I will report back if I have any issues after the upcoming 12 nights outing.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tordnado View Post
    ...but personally I will not buy uncalendared material for hammock projects again. Im jumping a bit to conclusions here, taking for granted that the calendared material will not behave the same way but since other people dont see the problem I hope I will have the same luck. I will report back if I have any issues after the upcoming 12 nights outing.
    I agree that you are jumping to an overly generalized conclusion. I have used uncalendared nylon as light as 1.0 oz and have not had the problem you describe. I generally prefer uncalendared nylon for increased breathability.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12