Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Two questions:

1. How high do you like to have the lowest part of your OCCUPIED hammock off the ground? (seems like I see many photos with them lower than I’d have imagined)

2. What’s the smallest diameter tree you’ll hang from?
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    1. How high do you like to have the lowest part of your OCCUPIED hammock off the ground? (seems like I see many photos with them lower than I’d have imagined)
    6 inches is plenty. As long as the hammock isn't touching the ground, it's just as comfortable..whether at 1 inch or 10 feet.

I do typically hang at 2ft or so off the ground, though. It's easier to get in/out that way.

5 or 6 inches in diameter is what I look for, at a minimum.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 06-22-2008 at 19:04.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    I like to hang just at the point where I can sit inside, and have my feet touch the ground. Id say about 2'-2.5' up from the forest floor.
    the smallest diameter is 4 inches, otherwise the trees around here (the good hangin' ones) will flex too much. Although Ive hung for testing purposes from a Palo Verde, which are notorious for breaking limbs off without warning. Manzanita branches held me up once, and one time I hung from a cattle fence post and a trailhead sign, in 40mph winds (unusual, but true) and by the morning my arse was rubbing the ground. Long story short, if you havent hung between a Saguaro cactus and a rock climbing bolt, you havent lived
    Last edited by te-wa; 06-22-2008 at 20:09.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

When I sit in the hammock I like my feet to be flat on the ground.... chair height, 20-22 inches.

As to the smallest tree 8-10 inches are the base of stable hangs.... That said I have hung quite comfortably in Mountain Laurel thicket on stalks of 2 inches... I've hung from red buds or iron wood at 3-4 inches.... I've hung from galvanized fence posts and some scrub bush of about 3 inch trunk section... The two adjacent posts to a barbed wire corner work well, these were about 4-5 inches and quite stable I might add.... In Texas with only a single tree we once commandered a swing set for the second "tree" chained it to a near buy fence post and hung two hammocks very nicely...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    A telephone pole and a rear tire mount on the back of a SUV worked well on the way back from Texas. Just make sure you untie before you go for coffee!!

Images

I like it as low as possible, from 6" to a couple of feet. If something ever gives way, I don't like the idea of falling 4 or 5 feet onto a rock. But storm coverage by the tarp may alter how low I hang, as well as if I am using the PeaPpod, in which case I need to be a little higher off the ground.

Of course, 2 feet or more is much better for chair use and getting in and out!

I like 4 to 6 " for hardwoods, 6" or more for pines. One night my buddie hung from a pine of marginal diameter ( don't know exactly) and I looked up to see he was in "bananna" shape due to the tree bending quite a lot. We ended up rigging a rope from that tree to another tree to stop the flexing.

In general, I like the smallest trees that will do the job, but I have hung from some very big trees.

Images
    When it is cold or storms, closer to the ground. A little below chair height. Like pan in good weather or vertical rain the hammock is at chair height. The tarp goes high enough I can standup straight underneath when I can.

As for the trees, I tree for 6". I hit and try to shake the tree. If it feels solid, than it is usually good to go. I always try to look up for branches that could fall.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    4" to 6" for hardwoods (they shouldn't bow when you load the hammock, you can shake 'em to test 'em), more for pines (actually, I avoid pines because of the sap, and their bark is soft and easy to damage). Smaller, younger trees are better than bigger, older trees because they've got fewer big dead limbs to drop on you.

I like to hang the hammock so it's easy to stand up out of it, but too low is better than too high as long as my butt's off the ground.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    1. Probably 6-8" off the ground. Like Pan, I like to be able to have my feet touch the ground when I swing my legs out of the hammock.

2. Depends on the tree, but on average 4" or bigger.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like about 18" off the ground for the lowest occupied height to be able to easily reach the ground. Any lower and I have almost as much trouble getting in and out as it is when it's too high.

Depending on the tree, I usually go for at least 6", but I have long enough straps to go around almost anything of reasonable size.
    I my Warbonnet

• + New Posts