Tiny 'Biner in Place of Fig 9

Found a way to use a carabiner and prusik to imitate a fig 9 in a ridgeline setup. I am using a small 1" non-climbing biner, this thing is so light I cant get it to show up on a scale. Also no teeth gripping the line.

Did I mention it's dirt cheap? I have not seen it done and everyone has the materials so thought I'd share it. Wrap the line through the biner a few times. This is the same principle as described in the sticky for SLS tutorial. The prussik is attached further down the line. You can tie an overhand knot on the end of your long cord to prevent it from sliding off the ridge-line. Once you're around the tree, slide the prusik into position and you can clip the biner through it. You can also fine tune the tension after its clipped by sliding the prusik up and down.

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I used a similar method before when I don't have a fig-9 yet. Got the idea from Prof.Hammock's video Trucker's hitch suspension. Ring is threaded with 3wraps and I clip a mini carabiner to it which is attached to a prusik. But I like how yours uses less hardware, thanks for sharing.
    I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I used a similar method before when I don't have a fig-9 yet. Got the idea from Prof.Hammock's video Trucker's hitch suspension. Ring is threaded with 3wraps and I clip a mini carabiner to it which is attached to a prusik. But I like how yours uses less hardware, thanks for sharing.
    Nice! I got the idea for the wrapping the biner from almost the same setup. I decided to leave the the biner on the RL when I pack it. Setup is super fast and less fiddling.

Can't can't comment on holding power of the biner in wet weather yet. It's most likely going to need more than three wraps if wet, although, one good thing is the gate allows me to add and remove wraps without running the entire length through.

Did you ever have any issues with the ring slipping when rope was wet?

• + New Posts