Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How close to the hammock can you hang w/a WS?

Greetings,

I've been hanging from cord on both my HH and WBBB and looking at WS suspension for a replacement. A couple questions. My hanging is sometimes in tighter jungle spaces where I have limited room to work the proper hang.

And sometimes need to hang the hammock close to the hammock end with a small amount of suspension. If I convert to six foot WS's how close to the hammock end can I get with my tree strap? In other words whats the minimal amount of suspension adjustment I can get way with in order to fit into tighter spaces? Am I correct in thinking the closest I can get to the hammock is three feet?

Question two is can prussic knots be used on the WS's (as my cord suspension) to hang UQ's, tarps, gear, etc, in the same manner?

Thanks all.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Depending the bury of the fixed loop, around 6 inches would be the closest you could get. If you need to get closer use continuous loops larks headed onto the hammock directly and whoopie hooks to connect the whoopie slings to the loops.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    A widow-maker isn't going to fall on you sooner if a line through the ends of your hammock does not intersect the centers of the trees your hammock hangs from.

When no trees are spaced far enough apart for the way everyone shows hammocks hung, a pair of 18" trees wrapped with standard straps might have their virtual spacing extended by 18" or more if the attachment points are rotated to the side.

Your hammock may not swing so freely, especially if you choose opposite sides of the two trees to maximize the virtual distance, but sometimes this is the way to rock the cradle.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The whoopie bury for 7/64" Amsteel is about 8" and the fixed eye bury is about 5". Add to that 2" each for the fixed loop & the adjustable loop. Then you would have 2" more for the loop in you tree strap - I'm getting about 19" at each end, minimum.

You may be better off with just tree straps with tri-glides. With those you can snug right up next to the tree.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    You may be better off with just tree straps with tri-glides. With those you can snug right up next to the tree.
    This, although my choice would be the cinch buckles from onrope1. And as demo stated, you can wind any suspension around a tree if you need to shorten sail.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    On my indoor set up (hangers screwed into the wall, spacing is ~11'), I can pass the whoopies on my longer hammocks thru the attachments points and hook them together as a "ridgeline" of sorts.
    This technique allows me to bring the hammock fabric all the way up to the fabric bundle at the hammock ends to the attachment points.

In the field, this technique could work. Wrap the tree strap around the tree. Set a loop in the strap as close as you can to the tree. (Double up the strap and set the loop at the desired length with a marlinspike hitch and toggle to form this loop. With proper placement of the loops, this attachment point can be directly at the tree.)
    Pass the whoopies sling thru this loop, back over the top of the hammock at each end and attach each whoopie together over the top of the hammock. (A rated biner or nacra biner/soft shackle can be used here.)

This will work, considering your whoopies are 5' or longer. (if your hammock has a 100" ridgeline, which is fairly normal)

You could also set the tree strap wrap with a regular marlinspike hitch and toggle and use a soft shackle in the place of the where the whoopie loop usually rides. Pass your whoopie thru the soft shackle, then back over the hammock.

Done properly, your hammock ends can be at or near the trees.

Your tarp would need to fit also. So that can be limiting as to how close the trees can be. But for your question, you can set the hammock up in a space as short as your hammock, or hammock ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    On my indoor set up (hangers screwed into the wall, spacing is ~11'), I can pass the whoopies on my longer hammocks thru the attachments points and hook them together as a "ridgeline" of sorts.
    This technique allows me to bring the hammock fabric all the way up to the fabric bundle at the hammock ends to the attachment points.
    This is soooooo obvious!
    Why can't I think of anything this creative?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    in switched to 12 straps with descending rings (cinch buckles work too). i can hang 4" from tree to hammock. this works great in shelters, urban settings, indoors and under decks
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    This is soooooo obvious!
    I have done this, and as I laid there, looking up, I wondered, "What would the quants say?"
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    This is soooooo obvious!
    Thanks.

After thinking about a in-the-field technique...One could simply feed the webbing around the tree, thru the eye like normal, then tie off a hitch on the webbing with a toggle and set the toggle against the eye on the webbing. Then run the whoopie thru the basket that the webbing/toggle forms (this would eliminate the need for an auxiliary piece at that connection) Taking care to avoid any sawing/sliding action between the webbing and suspension line. as that will quickly derate the webbing.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast