Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 188
  1. #101
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,340
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    skskinner,

    Very nice work....

    However, if you consider a V2 or other decide to follow suit....Placing the stick on Omnitape( better to use barge cement) on the sides of the gunnels vs the top will put two 90* right angles in the cover which will more than double the holding strength of the omni tape... same principle as the JRB FLOT mod and the JRB DTEPC...

    Pan
    Yes, Pan, I thought long and hard on that before committing to just using the gunwales. I just hated to rough up the surface of the hull as opposed to the surface of the plastic gunwales, but the barge cement may become an option if this does not hold. Thank you for your great ideas, as usual. Steve
    SEMPER FIDELIS

  2. #102
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,340
    Images
    27

    Spray Skirt Added To Rain Skirt

    Sorry I didn't have a sexier model to show off my spray skirt but Karen refuses to get her picture taken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SEMPER FIDELIS

  3. #103
    Senior Member animalcontrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    2,516
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Now for the real treat. I also bring a 20 pound, yes that's right, pounds of weight, Moss outfitter parawing that will allow us to cook over the fire and sit with protection from the rain. It really makes a difference in the event of three or four days of rain.

    So, that sums it up. Dave, I would encourage a little paradigm shift for you. Weight is really not an issue. I am bringing a 35 pound grill set up to cook on, real pots and pans, dutch ovens, dishpans, etc. With a large group, the room, the ability to transport the weight with little effort, it really does make for a luxurious river trip.

    David
    I too, would need a shift. The ability to carry so much might just spoil me.

    Since you mentioned cooking , are we going solo or combining as one big cook group? If fine either way (but I admit I would like to learn how the "other" side lives!!) Once, we get closed and nail down who all is coming, we could explore this further.

    Andy
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

  4. #104
    canoebie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I too, would need a shift. The ability to carry so much might just spoil me.

    Since you mentioned cooking , are we going solo or combining as one big cook group? If fine either way (but I admit I would like to learn how the "other" side lives!!) Once, we get closed and nail down who all is coming, we could explore this further.

    Andy
    As with everything, there are pros and cons each way. My ww and I on a couple of occasions have simply put everything in our frame packs for a canoe trip and with one trip up, we were unloaded. On other occasions we take tables and chairs, similar to what Neo describes. We do carry coolers as well, however I don't much like the idea of balancing one on a kayak as Neo describes. He is more of a man than me!!!

    As far as food goes, I would like to show you all the "other side." We would have a couple of options. I can pack food for breakfast and dinners, split the cost with all of you. Or, we could divide into food groups, dividing responsibilities for meals, though this can be a logistical nightmare. Or finally, we could all just fend for ourselves. My preference would be a compromise, in that we do breakfast and dinner as a group, and with the help of all, we can prepare some kick *** dutch oven meals. Then we can do lunches on our own.

    I have a group of men I canoe 4 days over Memorial day with every year, we went to college together at Manchester College, and this last year was our
    31st annual trip. We have paddled in eight states and done 22 different rivers. We cook communally for breakfast and dinner and have lunches on our own. There were 12 of us this last year, and it worked out fine.

    I have tried and true Dutch Oven recipes and unless someone would prefer otherwise would be glad to plan the meals. However, I will not be the schlepp and I will recruit, no demand, help with preparation, cooking, and clean-up. I do that with groups who pay me dearly to go out there. I emphasize that the experience is very participatory.

    Again, this is just a suggestion. This trip belongs to each and every one of us, and if someone prefers to do it differently, I am open to that. I will be glad however, to show you the "other side". It has cherry crisp, lasagna, porkchops, baked potatoes, peach cobbler, and mountain man breakfast simmering hot waiting for you. I will guarantee the shovel will get used in the mornings. (smile)

    David
    Last edited by canoebie; 06-29-2008 at 19:15. Reason: spelling
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

    Bobby Seale


    http://www.riverjourneys.org

  5. #105
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,340
    Images
    27
    David, That sounds like a tasty plan. I like it. Steve
    SEMPER FIDELIS

  6. #106
    canoebie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    David, That sounds like a tasty plan. I like it. Steve
    Hey Mule ya got me turned on to sewing dude!! I bought 8 yards of rip stop nylon at JoAnn Fabrics today for $1.50/yd. I am going to start with a belly cover for my boat and go from there. I am looking at using snaps. My ww is going to help me. Just what I need, something else to eat up my time. (smile)

    You are just nothing less than an inspiration!

    David
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

    Bobby Seale


    http://www.riverjourneys.org

  7. #107
    Senior Member animalcontrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    2,516
    Images
    101
    OMG, what a plan! As far as help, my services will be at your beck and call.
    Nature as in everthing, can teach us all a thing or two. Dave, on this trip, the very leaset you can teach me is how a true canoer throws a breakfast/dinner spread out!
    I look forward to my education.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

  8. #108
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,340
    Images
    27
    David, Good luck with your project. Now that I have velcro'd everything in place I could easily drill right through everything and add snaps myself. That may be the way to go, but I will give this a try for awhile. By the way, I taped the fabric to my canoe, then took a marker and marked the edge. That way when I sewed the hem it was nearly perfect. You could do the same or if you come up with something different let me know. Dave is wanting to do his canoe now too. I bet it will help big-time with wind, too. Mule
    SEMPER FIDELIS

  9. #109
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,654
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    As with everything, there are pros and cons each way. My ww and I on a couple of occasions have simply put everything in our frame packs for a canoe trip and with one trip up, we were unloaded. On other occasions we take tables and chairs, similar to what Neo describes. We do carry coolers as well, however I don't much like the idea of balancing one on a kayak as Neo describes. He is more of a man than me!!!

    As far as food goes, I would like to show you all the "other side." We would have a couple of options. I can pack food for breakfast and dinners, split the cost with all of you. Or, we could divide into food groups, dividing responsibilities for meals, though this can be a logistical nightmare. Or finally, we could all just fend for ourselves. My preference would be a compromise, in that we do breakfast and dinner as a group, and with the help of all, we can prepare some kick *** dutch oven meals. Then we can do lunches on our own.

    I have a group of men I canoe 4 days over Memorial day with every year, we went to college together at Manchester College, and this last year was our
    31st annual trip. We have paddled in eight states and done 22 different rivers. We cook communally for breakfast and dinner and have lunches on our own. There were 12 of us this last year, and it worked out fine.

    I have tried and true Dutch Oven recipes and unless someone would prefer otherwise would be glad to plan the meals. However, I will not be the schlepp and I will recruit, no demand, help with preparation, cooking, and clean-up. I do that with groups who pay me dearly to go out there. I emphasize that the experience is very participatory.

    Again, this is just a suggestion. This trip belongs to each and every one of us, and if someone prefers to do it differently, I am open to that. I will be glad however, to show you the "other side". It has cherry crisp, lasagna, porkchops, baked potatoes, peach cobbler, and mountain man breakfast simmering hot waiting for you. I will guarantee the shovel will get used in the mornings. (smile)

    David
    I'm with the program, c'ptain.

    Grizz

  10. #110
    Senior Member d-p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com
    Posts
    195

    Wink Micheeeeegun Food and Gear

    hey micheeeeegunnnerrrs with paddlezzzzz,

    Since we have a couple a Daves, I, ''dplant'' will adopt the handle of CamperDaver? Got that with my bicycle camping daze. Sort'a stuck in a "few" places. Plus, I liked it. Penned a newsletter column about bi-CYCLECAMPING wit CamperDaver

    Food? I vote for each person packing their own. Helps a lot with no-shows, appetites, tastes, and pricing? Course I know ... NONE a "u" would ever be a "no-show" Plus, CampBeans and Sardines get old after 10-12 meals. Ohhhhhh wait ,,,,,, did someBODY mention "peach cobbler"? Tell ya' what ............. Chef Peachie do his thing and put a price on it?

    Gear? hey you guys load up with what ever? Me? My 40* Base Weight is 8 pounds. Pack, Shelter, Bedroom, Kitchen, and all the SillyStuff I think I might need. 8 pounds BASE weight; That's no food, fuel, or water. I've poured and poured and spent and spent to arrive at this backpacking/cyclecamping weight.
    AND
    Rest assured (ask the Mule) I'm a "neither a borrower or a lender". I"ll share at a camp fire how I came to be said.

    Gear weight? Check out Backpacking Light .com and you might become a convert to "Light is Right" ?

    So, there is my two cents with the Food and Gear ...

    Later, my bicycle is calling me to "use and abuse" her ...
    CD

Similar Threads

  1. Paddle trip in the ADKs, June 8-10
    By NFA in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 16:13
  2. Mixed Hike/Paddle Hammock Trip
    By NFA in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 23:12
  3. Paddle trip through flooded area
    By NFA in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 08:33
  4. Getting Ready for a 3 day/night paddle-trip
    By NFA in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 03:09
  5. pictures and trip report midwest fall hangout
    By neo in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 22:23

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •