Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Klymit Static V
    Suspension
    ENO Helios
    Images

Exped Multimat for extra insulation

I just did my first hike with the Clark Jungle Hammock NA in Monangahela National Forest in West Virginia. The weather up there can get dicey, so when I saw the forecast was for 50 degree nights, I planned for at least a 45 degree night which is exactly what I got. I used the under pockets for storage and an Exped Mulitmat for extra insulation:

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped...8?opendocument

I laid an exped downmat 7 on top of that and was in heaven. The multimat is large enough to cover the entire bottom area of the hammock and the sides where your sleeping bag makes contact with the less insulated side walls. It still felt pretty toasty when i removed the downmat and just used the multimat for the second night. I figure it would also make a decent ground cloth if I had to set it up as ground tent. When I wasn't using in the hammock, it made a nice group dining floor for me and my buddies. It doesn't compress into as small of a package as I like, but it weighs next to nothing.
    Last edited by donjose; 06-24-2008 at 15:54. Reason: changed "sleeping back" to "sleeping bag"

Images
    Awesome! Never seen that before...

Welcome to the forum!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Is it just me... or is purchasing information missing from that link? How would one purchase one?

edit:

Never mind found one at REI among other shops. $38 not a bad price either.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 06-23-2008 at 15:46.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

donjose, I also have that same mat and I really like it. It's the only mat I use and because of the thickness and size, just by folding it differently you can get different amounts of insulation depending on the need. I got my mat at REI but I don't know if they still carry them. I found this link that might help. http://moontrail.com/exped-multimat.php tnhillbilly
    Last edited by tnhillbilly; 06-23-2008 at 22:24.
    'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the
    way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes
    the difference.' Edna Ellison

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    After seeing tnhillbilly's, I got one at REI duirng the next sale. Haven't really used it yet, since I don't actually get into the woods anymore with all this traveling...
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters Bugnet Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Klymit Static V
    Suspension
    ENO Helios
    Images

how cold was it?

Quote Originally Posted by tnhillbilly View Post
    donjose, I also have that same mat and I really like it. It's the only mat I use and because of the thickness and size, just by folding it differently you can get different amounts of insulation depending on the need. I got my mat at REI but I don't know if they still carry them. I found this link that might help. http://moontrail.com/exped-multimat.php tnhillbilly
    just curious tnhillbilly, but what's the coldest temps you've used the mat?

I guess the coldest temp was in the low 30's. I was using the exped and an inexpensive Bass Pro shop sleeping bag, I folded it in a way to sort of wrap up around my sides with the bottom of the mat being doubled. Hope this helps. tnhillbilly
    'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the
    way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes
    the difference.' Edna Ellison

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Upcoming BGT test of MultiMat

FWIW, myself and two others will be testing the Exped MultiMat over the next four months for Backpackgeartest.org. Well, as soon as it ships anyway...

I am a dedicated HH/SS user, and my principle use of the MultiMat will be as bottom insulation for my HH. I intend to use it with the SS Undercover, both with and without the Underpad to see how much insulation it adds. I'll also test it with/without a space blanket just as with my SS.

It seems reasonably compact, but not all that light at 19oz. The Hennessy OCF pad (Explorer-sized) is only 10.3 ounces, quite a bit less, but of course its not as flexible in its uses. I hope to use the Multimat as a snow sit-mat in early winter if Mother Nature cooperates and gives us some of the powery stuff before the test ends.

It was interesting to read of your experiences with the gear - I look forward to trying it out.

--Kurt

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    FWIW, myself and two others will be testing the Exped MultiMat over the next four months for Backpackgeartest.org. Well, as soon as it ships anyway...

I am a dedicated HH/SS user, and my principle use of the MultiMat will be as bottom insulation for my HH. I intend to use it with the SS Undercover, both with and without the Underpad to see how much insulation it adds. I'll also test it with/without a space blanket just as with my SS.

It seems reasonably compact, but not all that light at 19oz. The Hennessy OCF pad (Explorer-sized) is only 10.3 ounces, quite a bit less, but of course its not as flexible in its uses. I hope to use the Multimat as a snow sit-mat in early winter if Mother Nature cooperates and gives us some of the powery stuff before the test ends.

It was interesting to read of your experiences with the gear - I look forward to trying it out.

--Kurt
    I wonder what the r-value is? It sounds like, used inside your hammock, it should add about 20 degrees to your SS. Were you going to use it that way?

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I wonder what the r-value is? It sounds like, used inside your hammock, it should add about 20 degrees to your SS. Were you going to use it that way?
    I will test it both inside the hammock, and outside the hammock in the undercover.
    The website lists the R-value at 1.2.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast