Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock

Tips for a beginner?

I'm going to be hitchhiking across the country this summer, and I am thinking about using a hammock/tarp combo to guarantee shelter. I have looked around some, but hammocks seem to be rather expensive, and I don't know where to begin with them. What are some tips for a beginner, things I should know about hammock camping, etc.? If you can suggest a particular hammock than is simple to use, and rather cheap, that would be useful too. I am not educated enough to tell one hammock apart from the other.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshatriya View Post
    I'm going to be hitchhiking across the country this summer, and I am thinking about using a hammock/tarp combo to guarantee shelter. I have looked around some, but hammocks seem to be rather expensive, and I don't know where to begin with them. What are some tips for a beginner, things I should know about hammock camping, etc.? If you can suggest a particular hammock than is simple to use, and rather cheap, that would be useful too. I am not educated enough to tell one hammock apart from the other.
    My advise would be to go here first.

www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums. Where are you located in Ky?

FF's link to Just Jeff's site is a great primer for those new to the hammock camping scene.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post

FF's link to Just Jeff's site is a great primer for those new to the hammock camping scene.
    Just Jeffs site is what got me hooked!

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Welcome to the site. You should have no problem in finding the info you need from all of the great experienced hangers here. As headchange4u asked what part of KY are you from?
    Chris

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    My advise would be to go here first.

www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    These were good reads. How does that Claytor Jungle Hammock compare to the Hennessy Expedtition? I went to some outdoors sports shops and the only complete hammock packages available are Expeditions, and it looked like a fine tent. Is the Claytor similar, just a larger and camouflaged hammock? I am not a large guy, so if the main difference is the size, Claytor may be unnecessary.

I'm assuming all trustworthy hammocks are going to run around the $150 at the minimum. I was hoping they would be cheaper, since I am going to be hitchhiking, and may not even need the shelter.

I need to make a decision on a hammock before Monday, because I'm going on a trip, and won't be able to order one while I'm gone. When I come back, I'm am only going to be around for a couple of days before starting my cross-country trip.

Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    Welcome to the site. You should have no problem in finding the info you need from all of the great experienced hangers here. As headchange4u asked what part of KY are you from?
    I'm from southeastern Kentucky, about an hour and a half down the interstate from Lexington.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    These were good reads. How does that Claytor Jungle Hammock compare to the Hennessy Expedtition? I went to some outdoors sports shops and the only complete hammock packages available are Expeditions, and it looked like a fine tent. Is the Claytor similar, just a larger and camouflaged hammock? I am not a large guy, so if the main difference is the size, Claytor may be unnecessary.

I'm assuming all trustworthy hammocks are going to run around the $150 at the minimum. I was hoping they would be cheaper, since I am going to be hitchhiking, and may not even need the shelter.

I need to make a decision on a hammock before Monday, because I'm going on a trip, and won't be able to order one while I'm gone. When I come back, I'm am only going to be around for a couple of days before starting my cross-country trip.

I'm from southeastern Kentucky, about an hour and a half down the interstate from Lexington.

The Hennessy Expedition is the hammock I started with. It is a fine hammock.
    You might try e-mailing Hennessy and asking for their demo list. I'm assuming they still have this going on. Some nice deals can be had that way. You might ask to upgrade the stock tarp to the bigger hex tarp. They might do this for free.
    www.hennessyhammock.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

My wife is from Manchester (Clay County). Good to have another Ky hanger. I hope we can get together some time. We have had a couple of hang outs in the Red River Gorge area with another one this fall.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    ......We have had a couple of hang outs in the Red River Gorge area with another one this fall.
    Does this mean I need to mark my calendar? Anything set in stone that I missed?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast