my first hammock was a clark.i slept in it alot.for the most part loved it but i allways thought there were a few things that could be better.
first thing was the pockets they needed covers.i slept in my clark through many winter nights and whenever it snowed some would allways drift into the pockets.
the pockets only covered about 38 inches wide by about 40 inches long.granted those pockets stuffed full kept me warm many nights all the way down to -18degf,but that insulation area needs to be bigger for consistant warmth.
the pockets were also not adjustable.you have to fill them all the way everytime or the items you are insulateing with would hang low and not even touch the bottom of the hammock were they are needed.
the bug net and weathershield are not removeable,it would be real nice not to haul the bug net around all winter.
the entire hammock could be a little longer/wider
so this is were all those changes came together.
the pockets are on the inside,are 48 inches wide and cover 60 inches.i can fit 5 inches of insulation in them and adjust that down to one inch if i want.
i started out with some 1.5 oz ripstop for the main hammock.i made it 10 feet long to the end of the channels.60 inches finished width.
starting from center i sewed a 6 inche strips every six inches.i ended up with 6 pockets on the head side of center and 4 pockets on the foot side.
i pleated the strips as i sewed them on so thy were 47 inches long on the hammock side and 60 inches long on the outside.
this is the interesting part.i have read many times on HF not to sew through the bottom of the hammock.i have never heard of a failure from doing this however.i realize i am taking a chance but i wanted to at least try it.i used a large zigzag stitch,hopeing that would stretch with the hammock.so far so good 9 nights no rips.if it starts looking like it will give out i will add another layer.
i put in some of knottys stretch side tensioners.love them.
the bottom is made of 1.1oz it is finished at 8ft by 64 inches wide.there is a channel on the ends that has a shockcord in it so it can be cinched up similar to an uq.there is also grograin loops on the corners and end middles to provide attachment places for a uq like suspension.this is how i will adjust the depths of the pockets.tightening it will take away depth,hanging loose i get 5 inches.
i sewed the 6 inch strips to this every 6 inches.
i also sewed a strip of velcro down both long edges of this.
the weather shield top is also 1.1 oz.in this pic i have it hanging above the hammock folded in half just to be able to get a picture of its shape.the zipper i highlighted in red.there is velcro sewed on the edges of this that attaches to the velcro on the bottom.in the summer this will come of and a bug net of the same shape will go on.
it is 50 by 100 inches.
this part velcroed to the bottom make the sock.
oops pushed the wrong button more to come.