Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images

clarkish,pocketed,hammock with intergrated sock

my first hammock was a clark.i slept in it alot.for the most part loved it but i allways thought there were a few things that could be better.
    first thing was the pockets they needed covers.i slept in my clark through many winter nights and whenever it snowed some would allways drift into the pockets.
    the pockets only covered about 38 inches wide by about 40 inches long.granted those pockets stuffed full kept me warm many nights all the way down to -18degf,but that insulation area needs to be bigger for consistant warmth.
    the pockets were also not adjustable.you have to fill them all the way everytime or the items you are insulateing with would hang low and not even touch the bottom of the hammock were they are needed.
    the bug net and weathershield are not removeable,it would be real nice not to haul the bug net around all winter.
    the entire hammock could be a little longer/wider
    so this is were all those changes came together.

the pockets are on the inside,are 48 inches wide and cover 60 inches.i can fit 5 inches of insulation in them and adjust that down to one inch if i want.

i started out with some 1.5 oz ripstop for the main hammock.i made it 10 feet long to the end of the channels.60 inches finished width.
    starting from center i sewed a 6 inche strips every six inches.i ended up with 6 pockets on the head side of center and 4 pockets on the foot side.
    i pleated the strips as i sewed them on so thy were 47 inches long on the hammock side and 60 inches long on the outside.
    this is the interesting part.i have read many times on HF not to sew through the bottom of the hammock.i have never heard of a failure from doing this however.i realize i am taking a chance but i wanted to at least try it.i used a large zigzag stitch,hopeing that would stretch with the hammock.so far so good 9 nights no rips.if it starts looking like it will give out i will add another layer.

i put in some of knottys stretch side tensioners.love them.

the bottom is made of 1.1oz it is finished at 8ft by 64 inches wide.there is a channel on the ends that has a shockcord in it so it can be cinched up similar to an uq.there is also grograin loops on the corners and end middles to provide attachment places for a uq like suspension.this is how i will adjust the depths of the pockets.tightening it will take away depth,hanging loose i get 5 inches.
    i sewed the 6 inch strips to this every 6 inches.
    i also sewed a strip of velcro down both long edges of this.

the weather shield top is also 1.1 oz.in this pic i have it hanging above the hammock folded in half just to be able to get a picture of its shape.the zipper i highlighted in red.there is velcro sewed on the edges of this that attaches to the velcro on the bottom.in the summer this will come of and a bug net of the same shape will go on.
    it is 50 by 100 inches.
    this part velcroed to the bottom make the sock.

oops pushed the wrong button more to come.
    Last edited by lonetracker; 03-06-2012 at 19:06.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    continued,
    the end of the weather shield part have two grosgrain loops sewed to them

they just wrap around just below the hammocks gathered ends and are kept taut with a shock cord,line lock tensioner.this is a bottom view

the top of the weather shield and eventually bug net when i get it made,is kept taut by grosgrain loops sewed as indicated with red arrows.also by shock cord/line locks run from gathered ends.

on the foot end the pockets only go two feet so i still have room to use my coat for a foot warmer box.this is covered by the weathershield so is inside the sock.

[insulateing it.useing pockets gives me much more insulation options.i can use spare clothes,found on site natural insulation ,or downpillows.i made several down pillows for this i used repurposed down i got from goodwill buys of coats and comforters.the pillows i made were 45 long on top and again pleated to conform to my hammock so they were about 13 inches longer on the bottom.they are about 6in by 6 in.i made the three pillows by my feet shorter.one benifit of the down pillows in the pockets is i can easilly slide them back and forth to make sure they are under me no matter what diaginal i am laying on.

i spent one night out at about 25degf insulated with wallmart bags stuffed in the pockets.

in da woods

Bill
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Thumbs up

Just brilliant! You will have many warm nights in the woods with this. I couldn't find a single thing I'd change about your design, even if I had done it myself (and I wish I had ).

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    WOW! Now thats amazing! Excellent job!!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I knew that you would come up with something like this!!!! From getting to know you just a wee bit this truly seems your style.
    Whooooooo Buddy Stellar)))))))))
    Look forward to meeting that hammock.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Wow, Great Job, now I feel a little more daring for making my project. I have lots of goose down that I took out of my kids winter jackets, quilts and scrounged. Now living here in Oregon I had not decided on how to use the down. In the North, I was going to make a super thick quilt, where we lived the average day temp was around -45C. In Oregon I do not need such a beast, it rarely gets below 32F. Thanks to you, now I know what to do with the bags full I have been saving.

Thank you for sharing.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Just brilliant! You will have many warm nights in the woods with this. I couldn't find a single thing I'd change about your design, even if I had done it myself (and I wish I had ).
    thank you sir you flatter me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    WOW! Now thats amazing! Excellent job!!
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I knew that you would come up with something like this!!!! From getting to know you just a wee bit this truly seems your style.
    Whooooooo Buddy Stellar)))))))))
    Look forward to meeting that hammock.
    Shug
    yep my style.unmainstream.and fiddley.maybe hanging it at the wi.hang.
    thanks yee sir Shug

Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    Wow, Great Job, now I feel a little more daring for making my project. I have lots of goose down that I took out of my kids winter jackets, quilts and scrounged. Now living here in Oregon I had not decided on how to use the down. In the North, I was going to make a super thick quilt, where we lived the average day temp was around -45C. In Oregon I do not need such a beast, it rarely gets below 32F. Thanks to you, now I know what to do with the bags full I have been saving.

Thank you for sharing.
    and thank you,Hurtheart.i had a down storm in here taking it out and putting it back in,but i like that i did it.wat are you gpoing to make?
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    That is an awesome hammock. I love my Clark, but find it to be small and too heavy. I may have to do a DIY one like this. Thank you so much. I think I better practice on some easier stuff first though. LOL...
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    wow brilliant. Truly awesome. I love winter gear, too bad we didn't get much of a winter this year i can see you building a down pillow exo-suit for hangin out around camp and when bed time roles around it transforms into your hammock insulation. I day dream in carton. Don't mind me

Great job, and I've picked up some ideas for warming up my clark.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast