Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I just put pockets on a diy hammock-----its not that hard to do, and the pleating really did the trick---Thanks! I'm not sure I would do it on 1.1, or even 1.5 ripstop, but with a heavier cloth (1.9? or taffita) it seems to work just fine, with no distortion or strain on the hammock body. I'm pretty confident it will work good in the long term!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I just put pockets on a diy hammock-----its not that hard to do, and the pleating really did the trick---Thanks! I'm not sure I would do it on 1.1, or even 1.5 ripstop, but with a heavier cloth (1.9? or taffita) it seems to work just fine, with no distortion or strain on the hammock body. I'm pretty confident it will work good in the long term!
    cool Stevebo,hope it works out for you.did you go with a straight or zigag stitch?pocket size?any pics?
    i am on about 18 overnights in mine still holding up well.
    i made a bunch of sacks up out off peices and parts of ripstop.

i stuff natural materials in them.then put them in my hammoks pockets.spent the night comfortably down to about 33 insulated with this grass,and some cattail down.then three nights at the central wi.hang insulated with dry leaves.i think the first night was in the high 20's.40's the other two nights.slept warm and comfy.in fact as i was the last one to wake up the last morning,after an all night rain, i would have to say my hammock must have been the most comfortable one there.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    TBA
    Nice work. Let us know how the base hold up!

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    WOW real COOL, love it, how's the total weight
    now all you need is a big python skin and you've got yourself an all in one package!, brilliant!!!
    FRED

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I used the straight stitch (double) seemed to work just fine! (pockets 10 inches wide, 7 inches deep) I love the bag idea-- heres an idea I've been kicking around.............what if you made a silnylon bag (like the ones in your pic), seal the edges/seams so its tight (kind of like a dry bag), and then inflate it, roll the end up and seal it (rubber band?) Kind of like what they do with cuban sleeping quilts--inflated to produce loft. Maybe even put some insulation in it, like a really light weight foam, or a little down? Would you have a homemade DAM? (except there isnt any weight on it, so it doesnt need to be strong. ) Your pocket idea has unlimited possibilities!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DangerBird72 /W.L. Light owl
    Tarp
    4S Cuben/WL OMW
    Insulation
    Fronkey made20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whooooopie...

Great Job.

This is what makes the Hammock Forums so great. I like your style...
    Groovy

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    WOW real COOL, love it, how's the total weight
    now all you need is a big python skin and you've got yourself an all in one package!, brilliant!!!
    FRED
    FRED finally weighed my hammock.it is 37 oz.with snakeskins and whoopies
    did not make it to be lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I used the straight stitch (double) seemed to work just fine! (pockets 10 inches wide, 7 inches deep) I love the bag idea-- heres an idea I've been kicking around.............what if you made a silnylon bag (like the ones in your pic), seal the edges/seams so its tight (kind of like a dry bag), and then inflate it, roll the end up and seal it (rubber band?) Kind of like what they do with cuban sleeping quilts--inflated to produce loft. Maybe even put some insulation in it, like a really light weight foam, or a little down? Would you have a homemade DAM? (except there isnt any weight on it, so it doesnt need to be strong. ) Your pocket idea has unlimited possibilities!
    Stevebo,i think just air would be enough to keep you comfy in the summer.i think it may be hard keeping things inflated.in my clark i spent a night(25degf)insulated with two gallon ziplocks filled with air and a few plastic bags .(one 2 gallon bag completely filled one pocket of the clark) the clark has 6 pockets i had four of them filled with bags and air and 2 of them filled with wool cloths.
    i did not notice any differance between the differant insulations except were two of the bags lost their air.those spots got cold.
    if you mixed a little insulation in and can keep the bags inflated would be best for warmer weather32+in my mind.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Ok out to the barn to try this . This is so versatile . I really like the idea of the bags to insert for differant conditions . Around here there are cattails everywhere and lots of milkweed too .

Senior Member Sleepytime Gorilla Sack's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO DN, WBBB 1.9-1.1, GrandTrunk UL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    That is fantastic x3. I was initially curious on how pleated air bags would work (like the packing kind but inflate on site) inside the layers on page 1 and here it is done in experiment on page 3.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    to anyone still curious as to how the sewn through bottom held up,have slept in it about 70 nights and have had no issues with the sewn thru bottom.still holding up great.
    diyin to hang

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast