Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter View Post
    I'm a lot smaller than you, so maybe I'll catch a break. Plus, even if they get through the Permethrin and nylon, they'll still find me all DEET'd up. (You can see I'm determined to make this inexpensive set up work. I can always upgrade if necessary.)
    Be cautious with high-strength DEET and a hammock. 100% DEET will weaken nylon over time, and your behind is relying on that nylon to hold you up.

That being said, I've used concentrations up to and including 100% during the day before sleeping in my hammock without ill effect. Just before getting into bed when it's hot out, I usually take a field bath anyway, though, so that might have something to do with it.

Just a thought.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a lot smaller than you, so maybe I'll catch a break. Plus, even if they get through the Permethrin and nylon, they'll still find me all DEET'd up. (You can see I'm determined to make this inexpensive set up work. I can always upgrade if necessary.)
    I know what you mean - I got a lot of trips out of my Byer, but I essentially stopped using it during summer.

I had a reaction to DEET once and it was unpleasant. Ever since, that stuff has scared me.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I know what you mean - I got a lot of trips out of my Byer, but I essentially stopped using it during summer.

I had a reaction to DEET once and it was unpleasant. Ever since, that stuff has scared me.
    I've been using Natrapel around my home, but in the BW I can't rely on it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have used 100% Deet at a buggy site in WV. It had no affect and I had buzzing in my ears all night. Tried Permethrin on my clothing and never heard or saw one of them. I think the Permethrin is the best way to deter the little beasties.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    I found some Dri ducks ponchos at a local sporting goods store. I assume the recommendations here are for the ultra lite (about $14) and not the pocket version ($4). The ultra lite is supposed to be breathable and has an internal trico or something. The pocket version looks non-breathable and very thin. Both have hems, though. Would I cord the ends or the long sides?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I found some Dri ducks ponchos at a local sporting goods store. I assume the recommendations here are for the ultra lite (about $14) and not the pocket version ($4). The ultra lite is supposed to be breathable and has an internal trico or something. The pocket version looks non-breathable and very thin. Both have hems, though. Would I cord the ends or the long sides?
    I think you'd want to cord the ends. You want it as long as the hammock is and cinched at the ends, or as close as you can make it.

Are there hems on the sides? I don't know what internal trico is...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    simplest... given the price of the Beyer, simply buy another one, toss the heavy hanging apparatus, rig the 2nd one with shock cord under the hammock you sleep in. Hang it loose under you, but relatively tight around the edges. Treat the 2nd one with your favorite poison, mine is permethrin. This will effectively create a clark/garland style, i.e. you can cram whatever you like, leaves, etc., in the space between the 2 layers for insulation, and it provides a gap against the mozzies' noses.

Since this layer won't be under any stress to speak of, you could use a simple plastic painter's drop cloth (beware of vapor barrier), or an unfinished piece of 1.1 ripstop, or an emergency plastic poncho, or a cotton sheet (heavy), or tyvek, or, whatever you have that is 6+ ft long, 3+ ft wide, ...

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok Tarp 3.0
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 9LW
    Suspension
    Amok Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Be cautious with high-strength DEET and a hammock. 100% DEET will weaken nylon over time, and your behind is relying on that nylon to hold you up.

That being said, I've used concentrations up to and including 100% during the day before sleeping in my hammock without ill effect. Just before getting into bed when it's hot out, I usually take a field bath anyway, though, so that might have something to do with it.

Just a thought.
    This was my thought. I try to avoid DEET when I go out, and usually Natrapel does well for me. When they're bad and I do have to use DEET I wash it off as much as I can before bed. When I finally go out in my hammock this year, I'll definitely do the same thing.

I really like the Permethrin idea, and I'm going to apply it to my hammock before we go out.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Found an old recipe for bug repellent from an old camping book that supposed to work..

3 parts Pine Tar
    2 parts Castor Oil
    1 part Pennyoil

mix and heat slowly to blend
    will wash off with soap

Will report on its results at bug season..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    All my ideas for you were grabbed by previous posters! I'll list out my favorites for you, have used these all in the BWCA with great success.

1. Permethrin-coated hammock body. #1, hands-down, far and away.
    2. Permethrin-coated bug net. Mine is a 5'x7' piece, I drape it over the ridgeline.
    3. Using the pad is no problem, I still use pads as my primary insulation. You may also try:
    4. A "Garlington Insulator": HERE Essentially a second hammock hung beneath the one you lay on. You put insulation in between the two. Just adding that second hammock seems to trap a lot of heat. It will also serve to keep bugs at bay.

In my previous July/August trips we didn't have black flies, and the times the mosquitos were bad was early AM and in the dusk before full dark. Try a few things in your back yard before you go!
    Plus Permethrin treated clothing and hats, especially the outer layers if you are nervous about skin contact with the Perm. That covers 90% of my needs. That plus a little 20% Picaridin on any exposed skin has so far proven 100% effective even in MS swamps. Not necessarily recommending it for any one else- because YMMV! - but I have now done at least 2 bug season trips ( in MS and ID ) without even a hammock bug net - and not had a single bite. I did find that I would have been more relaxed if I had the net, because I was still a little paranoid about sleeping net free. Still, no bites, mostly bugs would not even come near me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast