Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Rockywood Outdoor Fabrics

TeeDee mentioned this website in another thread, and as not to steal his thunder, I thought I would post the relevant info in it's own thread. This was the first time I had heard this site mentioned here on HF.

You can visit the website here:
    Rockywood Outdoor Fabrics

Besides the polyester ripstop that TeeDee mentions I also noticed they sell Cuben Fiber, waterproof Cordura fabric (I think it's silnylon. JRB uses WP Cordura), a nice selection of zippers, as well as webbing and hardware.

I also noticed they have silicone coated ripstop in a variety of colors in both the 1.3oz and 1.9oz weights. It does say coated nylon so I don't know if this would qualify as sil. Maybe ordering some samples is in order.

I cursory glance at the site has turned up many useful materials at reasonable prices.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images

Images
    I just called them. The microfiber poly is 3-4oz/yd., unfortunately...

Does anyone know what the weight of "nylon taffeta" and "supplex nylon"would be? They have some good selection of camo in that...
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 06-25-2008 at 11:02.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    the "coated" nylon is sil. I got some in green, and they are the only place that carries green sil that I know of. Brian Mcmillan also told me about them. I suppose that might be his supplier. Not positive, just a guess.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

More confusion -- what's the REAL spec?

I also just got off the phone with Rockywoods -- and here's what I was told.

The Black Ripstop Micro-fiber Polyester (product 6824-3) weighs 1.1oz/yd and is approx 60" wide. The other colors of polyester in that category are NOT ripstop (which would worry me for use in a hammock).

What Rockywoods wouldn't know is if 1.1oz offers sufficient strength for a single- or double-layer hammock. The person I spoke with seemed skeptical.

By the way, the black ripstop is currently on backorder.

I've already experienced my "fall down, go boom in the middle-of-the-night" episode and would rather avoid it again. By the same token, the light weight and low stretch do sound seductive.

I've been thinking about making one of the single-layer HH clones, and I may just have to try it with the polyester.

Images
    You know, they didn't mention the black ripstop. I didn't even notice the black was listed that way! There is a good chance we are talking about two different weight fabrics that are listed in the same section because they are similar.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There seems to be a LOT of confusion on the Rockywoods Micro-fiber polyester fabric.

The micro-fiber polyester ripstop I purchased is listed here as stock number 6824-3

When I emailed them a long time back, the person who got the email took several days and then replied that he had gone and got about 20 yds of the fabric and weighed it. His calculations came out to 1.84xx oz/sq yd.

I ordered 10 yards. Laid it out on the basement floor and accurately measured length and width and then weighed it. I computed the weight at 1.84xx oz/sq yd.

Now I cannot guarantee that the fabric they list under that stock number is the same fabric they listed when I ordered and they shipped. But I ordered another 10 yards when I returned and received that shipment last week. Same fabric. I again measured and weighed. Same weight per sq yard.

So, I don't know who you are talking to at Rockywoods, but the person there who answered my email very definitely knew what he was doing. I didn't keep the email I received or I would be able to tell you the name of the individual at Rockywoods that I dealt with. Sorry about that.

Also, I would not pay any attention to vendors replies about using fabrics in a hammock application (or maybe any or most applications, but very definitely hammocks) since they know very little to nothing about hammocks and they are most certainly not going to give out advise that may get them sued at a later date - such as advising that a certain fabric is okay to use in a hammock when they haven't a clue. Just my opinion.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    When I emailed them a long time back, the person who got the email took several days and then replied that he had gone and got about 20 yds of the fabric and weighed it. His calculations came out to 1.84xx oz/sq yd.

I ordered 10 yards. Laid it out on the basement floor and accurately measured length and width and then weighed it. I computed the weight at 1.84xx oz/sq yd.
    Sounds like 1.84 is the most definitive answer -- reported AND verified. Thanks

Also, I would not pay any attention to vendors replies about using fabrics in a hammock application (or maybe any or most applications, but very definitely hammocks) since they know very little to nothing about hammocks and they are most certainly not going to give out advise that may get them sued at a later date - such as advising that a certain fabric is okay to use in a hammock when they haven't a clue. Just my opinion.
    Absolutely agree on this.

TeeDee: Did you do a single-layer or double-layer hammock with this material? I'm personally partial to single-layer as I use my JRB quilts for warmth and don't want the extra weight of a second layer that I won't use for a pad.

Sounds like I'm ordering some poly as soon as its back in stock. Thanks for the GREAT research and finding a source

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    TeeDee: Did you do a single-layer or double-layer hammock with this material? I'm personally partial to single-layer as I use my JRB quilts for warmth and don't want the extra weight of a second layer that I won't use for a pad....

I do only single layer.

In this thread I detail how I get a second layer for pads. Much better for my use.

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    There seems to be a LOT of confusion on the Rockywoods Micro-fiber polyester fabric.

The micro-fiber polyester ripstop I purchased is listed here as stock number 6824-3

Now I cannot guarantee that the fabric they list under that stock number is the same fabric they listed when I ordered and they shipped. But I ordered another 10 yards when I returned and received that shipment last week. Same fabric. I again measured and weighed. Same weight per sq yard.

So, I don't know who you are talking to at Rockywoods, but the person there who answered my email very definitely knew what he was doing. I didn't keep the email I received or I would be able to tell you the name of the individual at Rockywoods that I dealt with. Sorry about that.

Thanks for doing all the dirty work TeeDee, now I can afford poly and know it will actually support me!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast