Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Therma Rest SOLite
    Suspension
    Straps and Whoopie

Better of the bad?

Working on a hammock setup, largely using gift cards since my purposed hammock budget has recently been cut due to work expenses. I've got cards at Cabelas and Sierra Trading Post. Looking at pickup up a Grand Trunk Single (today, at least).

Cabelas carries the Kelty Noah 9x9, which I've been considering. Talked to a guy at Sierra who said they should be getting some ENO tarps in soon (unknown which model).

I know neither of these are great tarps, but they're what's in the cards now. Of the two makers, who would you go with?

Hammock
    eno DN(Daily)Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Cuben DIYw/beak
    Insulation
    15*Bag/20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Having never used either… I’d go with the GTS. Only cause I know the name better.
    Always have a Plan B C D and E! - Arson

I 100% believe “Normal is Boring!"

Does Shug ever put out a bad video?

"Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.” - MrClean417

"The trick to living and learning is actually living." - Cannibal

"He who would travel happily must travel light."
    - Antonine Marie Roger de Saint-Exupery

"Backpacking is the art of knowing what not to take."
    - Sheridan Anderson

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Grand Trunk Single and Eno Single Nest are practically identical hammocks, just a difference in colors. Pro Tip, don't bother getting the Eno Slap Straps. Instead pick up polyester/polypro (Not Nylon) tie down straps from your local big box store for $10 and use those for tree huggers. The Kelty 9 would likely have to be pitched as a diamond to fully cover your hammock. (I can't remember if they size along the edge or across the diagonal.) It's really up to you on if you want to wait or not, both are decent tarps and will get you started. My first tarp was a walmart blue 10x8 tarp I got for $6. Was heavy, but it got me hanging and I carried a couple of times in my pack until I found my current tarp for sale at a great price here.

Good luck with your purchases, it feels good to get off the ground.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    The con on the eno tarp is that they're too small. I'd go with the Kelty tarp.

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Kelty 9 is measured on the side. It's designed to be pitched as a diamond and is actually a nice tarp for the money. I have the ENO single and the GT ultralight. In my personal opinion, the GT UL is more comfortable. It's also cheaper and lighter.

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    Enos Double Nest
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    The con on the eno tarp is that they're too small. I'd go with the Kelty tarp.
    I wouldnt call it too small. I have the protarp by Enos and it worked just fine all winter. Yes it may be a little heavier than some of the other brands but to answer his question I would definitely pick the Enos Protarp. It is a very good tarp in my opinion and has plenty of coverage to protect the hammock, even in porch mode.
    Now if I had to do it all over again and knew what I know now...I would have spent another $25 and bought a larger Mamajamba or Big Daddy just to have more living area under it for rainy days and be able to hang it higher for more room. However the Protarp is definitely a good pick.
    ps...Like the other guy said, dont buy the slap straps, get poly straps!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I like the Kelty tarps, and the 9 should cover you well. If you want a bigger one, consider the Kelty 12, it is about $10 more. Depends on if you are looking for a camping setup or a hiking setup. Kelty makes good tarps and they come with the Tarp line, figure 9's, and the stakes. Just my $.02.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nothing wrong with the Kelty 9x9 other than the weight. It provides plenty of coverage and is easy on the wallet when compared to other choices. I lost my SG camo 9x9 (neo tarp) years ago and there aren't many days that I don't miss it. Those two tarps are near identical.

My opinion of Grand Trunk is extremely low, given their recent attempt at deceiving HF members. ENOs are usually available at box stores, as too are Byers of Maine.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Therma Rest SOLite
    Suspension
    Straps and Whoopie
    Hey, guys, thanks for the input.

Bajahanger, I haven't seen any other info about the Kelty coming with all that stuff. Is that standard or just a special through some sellers? That'd save me a few bucks on setup.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Therma Rest SOLite
    Suspension
    Straps and Whoopie
    Cannibal, you must have responded while I was still reading, or I'd have put these both on the same reply...

Can you clarify on GT's attempt to deceive? They looked like a handy price and product, but I'm not a fan of supporting companies I don't like.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast