Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Senior Member DemostiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Posts
    2,337
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Not so fast. I blew one of those up, at well below it's "rated" load. They only engage 3-4 threads, and the steel is soft. Those things are good for hanging bird feeders, and not much else...certainly not people.
    Tell us about the device that failed. They come in aluminum --not recommended -- and in several sizes. I'd appreciate the name of the supplier who didn't test or guarantee that they were tested. Walmart?

    For that matter, Kijaro would also probably like to know of your experience. Their customers would want to know they won't suffer it.

  2. #12
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    6,261
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Tell us about the device that failed. They come in aluminum --not recommended -- and in several sizes. I'd appreciate the name of the supplier who didn't test or guarantee that they were tested. Walmart?

    For that matter, Kijaro would also probably like to know of your experience. Their customers would want to know they won't suffer it.
    It was a bulk packed item from the local lumber yard...the load rating was on a little sticky tag. No idea what "brand" it was.

    I have no doubt that these things can be bought, somewhere, with solid construction and legitimate load ratings. They just won't come from the local hardware store, and cost $2.99.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  3. #13
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    It was a bulk packed item from the local lumber yard...the load rating was on a little sticky tag. No idea what "brand" it was.
    Sounds a lot like what we use at home. We buy them from Lowes and use them on all the hammocks and hammock chairs in our house. HOWEVER, the ones we buy thread several threads deep and have never given me reason to pause. Heck, we even use some of those big honkin caribiner(ish) steel things for some connections.

    The ones we buy are closer to $7 or $8 a pop though, not $2.99.
    Trust nobody!

  4. #14
    Senior Member mbcruzin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Murrells Inlet SC
    Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    10x10 BCUSA
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Posts
    964
    Images
    25
    from the logo it looks like the old kilisto hammocks you could get from Walkmart.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.
    Google+
    Spring Swing Sign up Sheet

  5. #15
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcruzin View Post
    from the logo it looks like the old kilisto hammocks you could get from Walkmart.
    That doesn't sound good.
    Trust nobody!

  6. #16
    Senior Member mbcruzin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Murrells Inlet SC
    Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    10x10 BCUSA
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Posts
    964
    Images
    25
    yeah and the kilisto hammocks had those tread lock hooks too. I scored one of these hammocks on a pif from Rooster i think and the logo looked about the same. but it wasn't made from the parachute nylon that my eno is. Maybe they remade the company?
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.
    Google+
    Spring Swing Sign up Sheet

  7. #17
    Senior Member DemostiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Posts
    2,337
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Sounds a lot like what we use at home. We buy them from Lowes and use them on all the hammocks and hammock chairs in our house. HOWEVER, the ones we buy thread several threads deep and have never given me reason to pause. Heck, we even use some of those big honkin caribiner(ish) steel things for some connections.

    The ones we buy are closer to $7 or $8 a pop though, not $2.99.
    Why would you pay "$7 -$8"* for several of these, or much more, when they would be heavier and much harder to use than lighter, well-engineered carabiners that go through regular testing and other QC and have a higher strength rating.

    *Yes, I know you can pay this much and much more for threaded links and snap bolts from Grainger.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Why would you pay "$7 -$8"* for several of these, or much more, when they would be heavier and much harder to use than lighter, well-engineered carabiners that go through regular testing and other QC and have a higher strength rating.
    Chalk it up to OCD, I suppose.

    I have "gear" and I have "functional equipment". My gear is purpose specific and lives in my gear room. Things like this, around the house, don't make me feel the need to pay for high-end materials and extensive testing. Weight isn't even an issue on the radar for the applications used. If they break (very unlikely), other than a sore butt, it's just a 10 minute round-trip to Lowes to replace. To get to a place with what I would call "quality" biners, means at least a 30 minute round-trip and knowing myself, an impulse buy...or 10! The lazy part of me wins that argument each and every time.
    Trust nobody!

  9. #19
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    6,261
    Am I missing something, here?

    These work for me, are rated for life support, and at $5.50, are affordable.
    http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Nano-2...SA-Nano-23.htm
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  10. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Idaho
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Therma Rest SOLite
    Suspension
    Straps and Whoopie
    Posts
    25
    So, possibly being the guy who mentioned cabelas gift cards, it's been a week, have you bought one yet?

Similar Threads

  1. Where have I heard this?
    By russwestwood in forum Warbonnet Hammocks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2014, 08:37
  2. Should I have heard something by now?
    By MK-9 in forum Hammock Gear
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 20:29
  3. Anyone know anything about Kijaro Jungle Net?
    By lxzndr in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 12:47
  4. Have you heard of H-Bag?
    By Holger in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 03:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •