Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Hook - Strap
    Images

Ramsey's Draft - Virginia

I am planning a trip with my daughter for her birthday in late July. Has anyone done the Ramsey's Draft loops in the GW National Forest?

I found a loop that we can stretch into 3 days, covering short distances (6,6 & 5 miles) and enjoying our time. She's just 6 and I don't want to overdo it for her, nor do I want to constantly hear "Are we there yet?"

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/ramseysdraft-e.htm

If you have done this hike, it would be great to hear any feedback you have.

Thanks,
    Badchef
    There are very few problems we can solve ourselves, but there is almost nothing we cannot solve together.

Most often when someone says they can't, they are unwilling to try.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

i have read

I have read that you want to make sure carry enough water because there may not be enough water in the streams depending on how the summer goes.

just my $.02

sounds like fun are you carrying everything for your daughter or having her carry some?
    are you hanging or in a tent?
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DIY-That needs a name
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Hook - Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpalm2x View Post
    I have read that you want to make sure carry enough water because there may not be enough water in the streams depending on how the summer goes.

just my $.02

sounds like fun are you carrying everything for your daughter or having her carry some?
    are you hanging or in a tent?
    Thanks for the input.

I saw some of the posts about water and will definitely keep that in mind. The route I am planning gives the option of being within 5 miles of the car at each campsite, just in case.

She will be carrying some... and the dog will carry his own food/some water.

We will definitely be hanging. She insists
    There are very few problems we can solve ourselves, but there is almost nothing we cannot solve together.

Most often when someone says they can't, they are unwilling to try.

Badchef,

I've done the section along Ramsey's Draft twice but not the Bald Ridge part. Personally, I would not do it in the summer. I went once in the summer and it was pretty miserable. Ramsey's Draft was down to practically nothing, the humidity was 85% or higher and the noseeums were intense. Trying to wear a headnet in those conditions was horrendous. On a positive note, even in summer Hiner Spring was running well with the water coming out at 43°F. The climb up Hardscrabble Knob is kinda tough. I don't think there's much water on Bald Ridge either. If it's a cool, wet summer then I might change my mind but in general July and August are non-hiking months for me. Ramsey's Draft was much nicer in April.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

• + New Posts