I made my first hammock!

Well, let's not get to excited. I found some dollar a yard polyester at wally world. I put a fly net on it with a zipper. Problem is the material width is too narrow and the hammock is too short and my netting ripped when I sat in it.

I will not post a pic since it may bring disgrace to my family for generations to come. It looks like spending a little money to get a professional one is looking not so bad now.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post
    Well, let's not get to excited. I found some dollar a yard polyester at wally world. I put a fly net on it with a zipper. Problem is the material width is too narrow and the hammock is too short and my netting ripped when I sat in it.

I will not post a pic since it may bring disgrace to my family for generations to come. It looks like spending a little money to get a professional one is looking not so bad now.
    I feel your pain I cannot sew at all and would be afraid of anything I put together for feer of falling.

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Hey, even the best of those that sew had (and still have) times of trial and error.
    Just be glad it was not $50.00 per yard material..(then even I would be crying).

Go get some more, maybe pin it together, play with the demensions and try again.

You will not be long in learning what works for you.
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    sometimes it's not the sewing that "let's you down." My buttlander tore right across the material. Every seam held tight and fast. Now that's a real ego boost I'll tell you. Oh well. I have a real heavy hammock I am thinking about hanging for the dog in camp. Not sure he'll take to it tho. He ain't a camping dog.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Tarp
    black cat
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post

Thank God for the dollar a yard stuff, its helpful when making the 1st underquilt.... and tarp......and hammock body....... and stuff sack.....you get the idea........lets just say no pictures have been up from me yet either....hahaha.... Congratulations though!

The 2nd time is way easier!

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Hey, I think it's gravy you went for the netting on your first try, I skipped that step and vouched for the no net option more out of fear. I am very quickly realizing that netting would be nice as the monsoon season is approaching and the skeeters are a coming man. Try again and let us know how it all pans out!
    [....] Our remnants of wilderness will yield bigger values to the nation's character and health than they will to its pocketbook, and to destroy them will be to admit that the latter are the only values that interest us.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Awesome man! I did the same thing a few weeks ago(Make my own hammock I mean) I'm glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to go for the netting on the first round!

• + New Posts