WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    3-season yeti set
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Spring Hang in Colorado

Hi there, I joined HF about 13 months ago, but never got around to utilizing the forum. But now I've got a line/strap suspension WBBB coming in the mail sometime soon, and can't help but get the itch to get out there!

At this time of the year snowshoes or Xcountry skis are necessary for a backpacking trip, but I'd certainly entertain a shorter trek in. Or, the "car-camp" style hang is just as good to test out new equipment. I'm really open to suggestions. One place that may be worth considering is one that I've been to a half-dozen times before, Lost Lake in the Indian Peaks.

I have Saturdays and Sundays off from work, and would prefer taking off a Friday or Monday as opposed to the middle of the week. Also, the earliest weekend I'd be able to entertain would be March 31st, but also waiting for [relatively] nicer weather is crucial too. I once was stuck in the Sangre de Christos with 55 mph wind gusts -- that's just not fun. I have some other travel and weekend obligations through out April and into May, but again I'm way open-minded, and more than anything wanted to start some discussion about Spring potential hangs!

fartingOWL

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    At this point in time, the lower hills really don't have much snow on the ground. Was up in the Deckers area this past weekend and there were only small pockets of snow a couple of inches deep here and there.

I'd certainly be up for a Spring Hang. My schedule is a little nuts this year, but with enough warning I can get something planned.
    Trust nobody!

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

White Ranch

I am doing a gear test at White Ranch Friday evening. Should arrive about 4:00 p.m. and I need to be back at work by 9:30 a.m. Saturday. Likely site #17 at the hikers camp.

One night after the full moon. The moon rising over the City is spectacular.

Join me if you want.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    3-season yeti set
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Deckers sounds great seeing as the amount of snow that you mentioned -- I don't mind a snowshoeing trek in, but it's nice to be able to feel terra firma while at the site! So does White Ranch, but I'm going to be working until about 7 PM tomorrow. I hate to say it, but March 31st may be the soonest I can get out...

Regardless, keep the thread/ideas going! Any other favorite spring spots out there?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    3-season yeti set
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Cannibal, what are some of the trails you like up around Deckers? Some quick internet research led me here: http://freecampsites.net/buffalo-cre...tional-forest/ and says,
    "3.5 miles south of the small town of Buffalo Creek on County Road 126 (also known as Deckers Rd.)is a turn off west on Forest Road 550 into Pike National Forest. For about 5 miles on Forest Road 550, there are various dispersed free camping sites along both sides of the road until you reach the official National Forest Campground called Buffalo."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It's also called "Redskin Creek Road" and yes, there are a ton of campsites all along that road. The Colorado Trail pretty much parallels that whole stretch of road. The trip the weekend before last wasn't a 'hiking' trip. Just hangin around in the forest.

Other than the CT, I haven't really explored the trails much in the area. There are a bunch of them though and it is a scenic area that doesn't require too much up and down...unless you want it too.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    3-season yeti set
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Well, there it is. I'm certainly interested in this area, and I should have my BlackBird by next week. Just hanging around the forest with the option to explore a nearby trail is exactly what I am looking for -- basically a chance to setup some new gear and get a little mud/snow on my boots.

Would Saturday March 31st for an overnighter be possible for anyone? Other weekends after then would work too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fartingOWL View Post
    Well, there it is. I'm certainly interested in this area, and I should have my BlackBird by next week. Just hanging around the forest with the option to explore a nearby trail is exactly what I am looking for -- basically a chance to setup some new gear and get a little mud/snow on my boots.

Would Saturday March 31st for an overnighter be possible for anyone? Other weekends after then would work too.
    I am always up for a hike and hang with a little notice.
    Being retired my weeks/weekends are pretty open.

That said I have a last of winter snow hang going
    March 23rd thru the 28th at Kenosha Pass. CT seg 6
    Will setup a base camp 1.5 miles from the parking lot with day hike/ snowshoeing.

I will be testing a new winter tarp with woodstove installed.
    Our backup plan if wind runs us off the Pass is the Deckers area.
    Probably CT seg 2 just above the river.
    No water sources up there have to hall it all in.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    That said I have a last of winter snow hang going
    March 23rd thru the 28th at Kenosha Pass. CT seg 6

I will be testing a new winter tarp with woodstove installed.
    Just seems funny to read that given the temps we've had the past few days and the forecast for the next several. Spring is certainly springing out here at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Our backup plan if wind runs us off the Pass is the Deckers area.
    Probably CT seg 2 just above the river.
    No water sources up there have to hall it all in.
    Go to the trailhead between 3 & 4 instead. From the parking lot going back into segment 3, there is a nice camp spot maybe 1/4 mile in. Still a dry camp, but MUCH less climbing to haul water than coming up from the start of 2. I actually like to go there for psuedo car-camping trips because it's off the road, but not too terribly far. I'll give you, the scenery isn't as dramatic due to the thicker concentration of trees, but it is more hospitable.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Just seems funny to read that given the temps we've had the past few days and the forecast for the next several. Spring is certainly springing out here at the moment.

Go to the trailhead between 3 & 4 instead. From the parking lot going back into segment 3, there is a nice camp spot maybe 1/4 mile in. Still a dry camp, but MUCH less climbing to haul water than coming up from the start of 2. I actually like to go there for psuedo car-camping trips because it's off the road, but not too terribly far. I'll give you, the scenery isn't as dramatic due to the thicker concentration of trees, but it is more hospitable.
    HaHa, yep a week of 70's in town is sure giving me Spring Fever. I'm hoping there's at least 12" of snow left up at 10700. You never know though it's Colorado. I'm bringing my backpack incase the pulk sled is a no go.

Thanks for the Seg 3 East idea. I love that area. Good Easterly views.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast