WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES

Reccomendations for a 5-7 day trip in the Olympic National Park

I am flying out to Seattle early morning on March 22 for 10 days in WA. I would love to spend 5-7 days on the trails hiking through the Olympic National Park. The last 3 days I will be in Seattle for a ceramics conference. I have always wanted to visit the NW coast and want to make the most of it. I have been reading through previous threads on this topic but thought I would start another one since I will be there at the end of March and not sure what conditions will be like.

Any recommendations for trails and places to hang. If I could find a 30-50 mile trail to stick to it might make it easier to plan a drop off and pick up location as am going solo on this trip. With that said I am open to just about anything and well acquainted with all weather conditions. I would like to visit a glacier on my trip as well but don't plan on bringing any rock or ice climbing gear with me.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Images
    You are probably going to need to contact the ONP folks for details for your needs with food cashes and such. Were you wanting mainly a coastal or mountain experience? I'm no expert, but I did have a great trip in ONP. I always wanted to see that incredible rain forest. So I just parked at Hoh River trailhead ( near the Park's western coast) and hiked in ~ 3 miles at night and hung from trees along the river, then another ~ 7 miles to where the mostly flat river basin came to and end. Then you can go right and gain ~ 4000 feet to the foot of the Blue Glacier. Or go left and climb also about 4000+ feet to the High divide. From there you can just keep going. I'm pretty sure you can do a loop there back to where you started. Just be ready to deal with mostly giant trees. We hung every night, but it was a challenge sometimes to find trees small enough and close enough to hang from.

PS: I just notice you use an OCF pad ( as well as down). Is that the HHSS? I only ask because that is what I used for my ONP trip. Worked great!

Oh, also, the snow might be still real deep at the higher elevations in March. Snow depth is currently 100" at the 5010 ft level, and March can be really snowy.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-09-2012 at 20:36.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    Yeah I just use the HHSS. I have been through my share of extremely cold nights and it has always kept me plenty warm. The bag I use is the Marmot Pinnacle 15 degree bag.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CryOTheWild View Post
    Yeah I just use the HHSS. I have been through my share of extremely cold nights and it has always kept me plenty warm. The bag I use is the Marmot Pinnacle 15 degree bag.
    Oh yeah, it is a more than adequate system IMO. Perfect for the rainy/foggy ONP! Just curious: when you say "extremely cold" ( you're in Wisconsin, right?), what kind of temps did you sleep through?

Have you figured out anything yet on what kind of route you plan to take in ONP? I think if you are at all up high, you will need snow shoes or cross country skis or maybe ice axe and crampons! Of course, you can always stay down low, which is still very wild country.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    I have had plenty of nights at -15 to -20 coldest night had a wind chill of -35 in January of 2011 which was my first time winter camping in the hammock. I am interested in the Elwha trail but trying to put together a few connecting trails to lengthen my time in the forest. I am really excited to see all the big trees. Made myself a set of 12' tree straps lol. I would love to spend some time on the ice but since this trip is looking to be a solo one I may have to stick to safer more familiar territory (forest) although if I can find an opportunity to go cramponing I will.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So I think you're going to be better off on the coast trails because of snow. I'd call the ONP ranger station HQ and ask about other trails but I'm guessing the Elwa is going to have quite a bit of snow on it. When I did it last (a number of years ago) we had snow in June once we got up a bit to the area we were camping.

As for Coastal trips, there are a few that might be intersesting. Shi Shi is 4 hours or so from Seattle. It's usually ranked as one of the top beaches in the world. Nice and remote. About 3 mile trek from parking to get down to the beach and then you're going to want to walk another 1.5 miles along the beach. Not super long but nice and isolated this time of year. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/north-shi-shi-access

Another one is the Ozette Triangle. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/lake-ozette
    It's a little longer and will get you a good mix. Not going to be as isolated as Shi Shi

For more adventure you could try going from Cape Alava up to Shi Shi or vice versa. It's a 5 day trip or so. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-re...-08.4056632542

I did this one when I was younger. It's still one of he hardest hikes I've ever done (including some crazy trekking in Africa).

Let me know if you have any questions. Definitely call the Ranger Station and get some advice. In March, I think you're going to have to stay low though.

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    anybody messed with oil city to ozette?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    TadPole Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    you could do a portion of the PNWT it start's on the Washington coast.. Google earth has some good views and pics for an Idea . I think the PCT will have to way to much snow Still
    Doing More with less....

Dum Tacet Clamat!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomsBackwoods?feature=mhum

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    Thanks for the tips. I'm still trying to get a clear grip on the weather conditions so I know what/how to pack.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, it's snowing today on the Eastside. There's really no way to predict to well what you're going to get.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast