diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps

Closing the end on a UQ

I am getting knee deep in my latest project, a full length down UQ, and as always trying to improve on the process and final product.
    One thing that has discouraged me in the past is closing the end channel after stuffing with down. On the head end I can wrap the outer shell material to the noseeum and it allows for full loft but on the "stuff" end I just pinched it shut and sewed it up. I am wondering if there is a way, that doesn't involve cussing my mother, to close off the "stuff" end while still allowing baffle expansion.
    Then again, I may be over thinking this again. The end I am talking about would be at my feet and out past them so full loft isn't necessary and actually would allow more down to be further up adding a bit of overstuff.

So I guess the question is, how do you close the ends of you down UQ's?

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Glad you asked!

Im glad that you asked this question, I am in the same boat right now...

I'm sure we'll get our answer soon!
    15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.
    1 Timothy 1:15

Everyone ends up somewhere. Very few people end up somewhere on purpose.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Would it be worth doing the normal closed end and then adding a draft tube like Knotty's? It would seem to be the simplest way to do that, at least in the sewing portion of it. Then again, my personal sewing skills are not up to doing a baffled quilt yet, so this is just theoretical for me.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    I think with me it is partially a performance thing, but mainly an ascetic issue. I am a designer these things bug me. lol Most people in the diy crowd say,"It's not perfect but if someone is looking that close it's their problem." in my case I am the one making and I am the one doing the looking as well.

I have not had a issue with draft yet so the draft tube didn't even occur to me. I may add this feature to mine. I did taper the end of my UQ to avoid to many gaps at the end when cinched up.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    I am getting bad about the ascetic issue. I am sitting here at work and in the back of my head trying to figure out how to hide seams and such so the final product looks better, but also in a way that will strengthen, lighten, and reinforce the performance.

Every once and a while I have to start folding paper and putting things together to see how it will work. **** this DIY bug and the money it saves me.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I think you are over thinking it OR I don't understand the question.

I close my ends by forming a rolled hem of both layers together. With the differential cut of the fabric, I still get full loft.

A second option is to fold both top layer and bottom layer inward (in to the inside of the quilt) and stitch it closed. This is a little more aggrevating to keep everything lined up and keep the down in while sewing.

Another option would be to box the end. You could have one hidden seam, but you'll still need to roll hem the other end of the boxing.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    I may have to illustrate what I am asking.

On the "stuff" end the channel has to be left open so that I can stuff the down. Then when I close the end I have to also make sure that the baffle gets stitched to prevent down from migrating from channel to channel. So in the past I have ended up jus sewing the outer and inner shell material together by simply rolling inward and stitching across. This essentially tapers from 2.5" channel height to 0" versus being a square end.

I need to sit and stare at some fabric, I am sure there is a way.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Easy solution - the outer shell needs to be 5" longer than the inner shell to accommodate your 2.5" quilt thickness. This gives you that extra 2.5" at each end on the outer shell. When you sew the two shells together, make sure the edges of each shell are lined up. The result will be that the inner shell is flat against the hammock bottom while the outer shell turns toward the inner at each end to close that 2.5" space. Your sewn seams will then be flush against the hammock bottom.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by streamline View Post
    I may have to illustrate what I am asking.

On the "stuff" end the channel has to be left open so that I can stuff the down. Then when I close the end I have to also make sure that the baffle gets stitched to prevent down from migrating from channel to channel. So in the past I have ended up jus sewing the outer and inner shell material together by simply rolling inward and stitching across. This essentially tapers from 2.5" channel height to 0" versus being a square end.

I need to sit and stare at some fabric, I am sure there is a way.
    down migration between baffles will be very minimal. On my quilt, the baffles are not sewn on the ends, ie, down is not prevented from migrating.

The reason I know down won't migrate easily is because I used the "down eductor" to blow the down into my quilt. Most of it ended up in a corner and I had to try to move it back to the correct baffles by HOURS of hitting it, flattening it, puffing it, letting it loft. I still don't have it evenly distributed (by weigh) in the channels, but the quilt works.

If you want to close off the baffles, make the baffles longer than the top of the quilt and stitch it in place when you roll hem the end. If you don't have a differential cut, the only option you have for ensuring full loft at the end is to box the end like a boxed seat cushion (think stadium seat)

MAD777 is saying the same thing, he is boxing the end with one less seam.
    Last edited by nacra533; 03-09-2012 at 11:17. Reason: boxing

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Nacra533 and MAD777 I think you have cleared the fog in my head. The boxing of the end is what I was wanting, but figuring out how was baffling me. I already boxed one end but the stuff end was were I was having issue figuring out. I think I have it down now though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast