Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Reality Check; need advise on the best direction to take

Hi everyone; I introduced myself in that section. I'm 51 with a bad knee that will be a limiting factor to backpacking. Always wanted to backpack but never did it. Can't explain it to you but I've decided I want to do some backpack camping before I simply can't. I feel like I'm running out of time and this is something I want to do.

I'm retired AF, living in a town I'm not from with a buys job, a wife and six kids. I don't have any friends in this area and normally I'd be solo hiking but I want to introduce my kids' to this. The older ones rolled their idea when I told them about this but a few of the younger ones are willing to give it a go.

here's where I need a reality check. I'm thinking the most I'll do is 2 day, one night trips, 2 - 4 times a year if that. I'm thinking I'll only take one kid with me at a time for a number of reasons. They range from 11 - 14. It would be great if the 3 young ones could come with me but I think it would be hard to carry the right gear and manage it. So I thought I'd take one kid at a time so i could basically invest in two sets of gear.

Like I said, I would expect most trips to be overnighters or three day trips at the most. I'll realistically only be doing this late spring through early spring so night time temperatures around 50 at the lowest unless I camp in a creek bottom and get suprised, then it could get down to 40 but normally it'll be in the 60's or higher when I'm out there.

I started looking at the shelters and have now read a LOT of what you've all written about hammocks. I analyze things alot; I like that part of it. Based on what I've read, if I was a younger man and going to be doing this all solo, I'd go with a hammock and probably a Warbonnet Black Bird. It seems to be one of the best desings/values, etc. But to get 2 of these would be very expensive for my needs.

So I looked at TarpTents Squall 2. It would let me be with my kid, I could use it solo, and cost wise it seems like a good value. http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html

My third option was to go with bivy tents like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Quest-Wat.../dp/B0056SOA48 I liked the idea of how simple this would be. Cost is decent becasue I'd buy two of them for what one WBBB set up would cost me.

I even toyed with the idea of just a tarp, groundcloth and bag but I feel I need bug protection here in Missouri; especially for my kid.

I then considered getting two hennessy hammock set ups. They're lower cost so I can get two of those for just a bit over $300. Seems the Hennessy models are still one of the better units, not quite on par with a WBBB but close and perhaps a better value for a guy like me.

I read a lot on insulating a hammock and figure for a 3 season guy like me I could get by with nothing or just a oversized pad.

So based on all of this, what would you recommend? Should I go with the bivy, tarptent, or two of the Hennessy Hammocks? Can you think of a way to do this with three kids aged 11, 13, and 14 without spending a fortune but without them being miserable?

Can a hammock with only a Pad at most be comfortable for the temperature ranges I mentioned?

Thank you in advance for any and all advise and I'm going to keep reading. I've spent a lot of time watching Shug's videos Have to admit he's one enteraining guy.

Thanks everyone and sorry for such a LONG post!
    Gideon

I only planIt'll be me and one kid

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Look for a group hang in your area and attend it. You will learn alot, be able to check out different setups and get a chance to aks other hangers your questions about why did they choose setup A over setup B
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    I would invest in an inexpensive hammock to begin with just to make sure you and your little ones are ok with hangin to begin with. A Grand Trunk Ultra light will set you back less than $20 from amazon and a few feet of suspension and some tree straps and you know if you will like it for less than $40 total if you do it right. Read up on setting up your hang and spend some time with the kids dialing it in and it will get them involved in the process and may draw in the eye rollers as well. If that goes well you can step up to the next level with bug nets,(The GT Skeeter Beeter UL is on my list next) tarps and insulation and be well equipped for less than $300 for a couple of rigs if you are thrifty. I started building up our families backpacking gear late last year focusing on Christmas to complete most of the gear they needed and in that I purchased each an inexpensive 3 season tent. After showing them how to set up the tents and inflate sleeping pads, they have all taken more interest in my hammock and tarp and have all but ditched their tents for hammocks. I still am working on the wife with this though, maybe sleeping with the dogs in a tent will sway her

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    There are much cheaper ways to get into hammocking besides jumping in on a blackbird. Like someone else mentioned a grand trunk UL is only 20 bucks. You will probably want to change out the suspension you can go super cheap and get some ratchet straps and just use the webbing from those, or do like I did and head over to Arrow Head Equipment and get their Marlin Spike Hitch Whoopie kit for just 22$. If you want bug protection you could check out the Skeeter Beeter Pro or go over to dream hammock and look at his bug protection. You can get a Skeeter beeter, and Whoopie kit for just 77$+ shipping.

If i where you i'd get yourself a blackbird and get a extra skeeter beater with the Whoopie kit for when the kids come along. and that would put you just a little above the cost of the tent you mentioned.

You would still need to look at tarps i've heard good things about the Kelty Noah tarps. I also find that the wilderness logic tarps are a really good price (not to mention they are having a sale right now) and a good bit lighter then the noah because the noah is coated polly and not sil nylon.

If you will be going solo mostly or don't know if the kids will even enjoy camping you could probably get away with just 1 big daddy tarp and hang both hammocks underneath. I have one and it's plenty big enough. Maybe you could even just get a bivy sac for the kids and make them sleep on the ground under the tarp (preferable not directly underneath your hammock incase something happens and you fall on top of your kid )

Just my thoughts...

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Your getting some really good advice here. My 2 cents says suck to yard camping until you have it all figured out . A bad camping trip sucks .... A bad camping trip with children could be a nightmare.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Do you have access to a sewing machine? There is a lot of DIY information here if you do. That can save you a lot. I agree with the idea of get a low cost hammock first. There are bug net options here that will work with anything. That may be all you need. If you want more there are sales and used equipment deals as well as buying new.

Pads work but be careful what you buy as some of the yoga mats are heavy while the backpacking one's a a different material that is significantly lighter.

Thinking more, I'd get a low end hammock and a blue pad from Walmart then start playing in the backyard. You will learn a lot including whether or not you like sleeping in a hammock. That will not cost much and probably always be useful. With 6 kids and the potential for them liking it start cheap and work up.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard Gideon. This is a full plate for a first post and my 3rd time viewing before posting. The info offered so far is a good start. Backyard hangs are much better for the first hang as they give that easy escape if needed. I bought the G-daughters GTUL's for Christmas and it may be next year before we get to put them to use.Call it hammock fanataism, I love it why wouldn't everyone else? Take your time and ease into family hammocking. Pick the one child that shows the most promise as a hanger and draw them into your conspiracy. Have a great hang but keep it low key, it will eat the others alive! Shoot, with 6 you should know this by now. Best of luck and hope you end up with a bunch of hangers.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I'll realistically only be doing this late spring through early spring so night time temperatures around 50 at the lowest unless I camp in a creek bottom and get suprised, then it could get down to 40 but normally it'll be in the 60's or higher when I'm out there.

Can a hammock with only a Pad at most be comfortable for the temperature ranges I mentioned?
    You betcha. I've slept in my hammock in 5 degree weather with a good insulated inflatable pad, though I did use a good space blanket for an "under shield" and had an extremely good sleeping bag, with a "hot water Nalgene."

P.S. I did do that in my own front yard as an experiment, so I could have easily bailed out if the experiment was a failure, without endangering myself or being miserable on some mountain. So, do practice in your own yard to work the kinks out.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I agree with others that a GTUL for $20 is a good start, and you can get or make a seperate bugnet. I like the seperate bugnet, because you can take it off when you don't need it (ie. cooler weather with no bugs) If you or your wife sew, you can make some double bottom hammocks pretty inexpensively, and put pads under you.
    I totally agree with a few hangs in the backyard first, I think you will be surprised at the kids interest once you start hanging.
    Later you can get UQ & TQ as you can afford, since your initial investment for the inexpensive GTUL didn't cost as much as a Hennessey or WBBB. You can always save and get a Hennessey or WBBB later. Good luck.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Cycling builds knees. My backpacking has improved since taking up two wheels. Might help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast