Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    Very possible. The factory just gets as many tarps done as they can without regard to process or the procedures.

I will say in relation to the steady rain my ridge line was soaked (the actual cord). I did not have drip lines. My son's was not and he did have ridge lines. Anyway it did rain enough that is the rope was was saturated and I still did not get water on me even when I awoke in the middle of the night when a heavy down pour happned. I think it woke up every one between the thunder and the sudden change from steady rain to pound pound pound.

Hammock
    Warbonnet(s)
    Tarp
    situational
    Insulation
    Love+down+IX
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I'm guessing that the cheap Chinese fabric these tarps are made out of has had such a minimal, inconsistent job of applying the PU "waterproofing" done, that some tarps simply have areas that are not waterproof.
    This is how it seems on my tarp. There were areas of the tarp, far from any seams, which had become saturated in that specific area. Three inches left of this area, it was fine and the fabric was waterproof. From the light shinning through it looked like localized areas of saturation and on the inside, a few drops of moisture would gather and occasionally fall. I think with synthetic gear or maybe a windsock it would not be too much of hassle in a short storm, but I wouldn't want to spend a long, wet night under the tarp I have. For those who have waterproof tarps, congratulations, you got lucky.

I spent enough time modifying, reinforcing, and sealing this thing, for a few extra dollars and an extra hour or two I coulda made a nice tarp. A great learning experiment, but if it's really gonna storm, I am leaving this tarp at home.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DerNageler View Post
    All I can say is that my son and I pitched our tarps in diamond configuration. As I said on taht first trial, "It rained quite steadily all afternoon and through the night. Sometimes it was very heavy. The wind also was very gusty. I sealed every seem on my tarp with seam sealer. Both sides were sealed.
    I can see how this tarp would perform better in a diamond configuration. However, I bought it so I could have doors. A 16 x16 diamond config would be huge and unwieldy, so I'm not even gonna try.

I have to hang my 10 x 10 Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp in a diamond and it acts like a giant windsail. To alleviate that problem, I made some Tyvek Grizz Beaks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    So sad to read about these problems. I own a pair of the older models that have held up extremely well under monsoon type rains. Woke up one morning to a basketball-size puddle hanging over me because I didn't get it pitched tight enough. Lots of water up there, but no leaks.

Guess I'll have to find a different vendor the next time I need a tarp again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657