Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Therma Rest SOLite
    Suspension
    Straps and Whoopie
    I'm brand spanking new to this game. I've slept under my new tarp exactly 2 times, last night and the night before.

I used 2 piece ridge line because my tarp came with some short(ish) sections of guyline. I larks head around the tree, go through the tie out point and then use what I think is a modified taughtline hitch. I saw it on one of Hennessy hammocks' videos and thought it was awesome. The not works a lot like a prussick. In my two nights, one with moderate wind, they haven't slid on me.

So, I use a two piece because that's what I had handy and, I'll admit it, I just plain enjoy tying the knot.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    Cal, I've sold it on to fund some work with zpacks.
    But hung, I use ~10-12' for ridge lines, and about ~6' for guy lines.

Reason for 2 lines is ease in my case, I find it simpler and more adaptable after using
    The single line when I was getting started. It seems to cater to those who rig the tarp
    Above their hammock suspension lines. Being that it follows the same principle as the hammock
    Itself (30* angle), I find it very easy to set desired height, ridge line tension, etc.

I recently watched this video again, which has some interesting tarp rigging ideas...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C24ZfphQzrQ
    Thanks Rip! Great link as well! Had not seen this vid.

Cheers

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ Top Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the video Rip. Nice to see a different approach. I like your hammock sup. setup.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I still havent made up my mind. Right now I am using a CTRL and it works. It does get in the way at times whit my whoopies. Thats my main push to try something else. At the moment I am in the crowd of memebers who got worked over on the guide gear tarps. Once I get this tarp business worked out I'll be able to get a better idea of my needs with a larger tarp. The littlest things change everything when it comes to suspension systems. I think a larger tarp would fall into this category as well, so time will tell.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I just came back from a trip, using two lines on prussics off each end, like Rip. I will never do it again. The prussics are a HUUUGEEE pain to adjust under tension. My fingers are raw and cut to hell from trying to slide the prussics for adjustment. This was using 1.75mm zing it. I will forever now use a continuous ridgeline (2.2mm also). Just like the one sold at whoopieslings.com.

I will also never use prussics on the corner tie outs. They were equally troublesome. I find Brandon's (warbonnet guy) method of self tightening stake knot to work best, and saves your fingers.

I literally have a half-inch piece of flesh missing from my pinky from fooling with those prussics this weekend. I immediately cut them off when I started packing up.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    sorry to hear of your woes. i guess this is a case of ymmv
    i've never had that issue,- so could not foresee it to warn of that possibility.

one thing i do is keep the ridgeline semi-limp as i center the tarp over the hammock- once the guylines are tensioned, everything tightens up and i don't
    really need to mess with any of my lines much more once set.

i used to use wb guys stake tensioning method, until i was faced with snow and had to bury my stakes. for continuity, i saw grizz's 'prussik-at-the-tarp' method, and stick to it year round.

fwiw - i've actually found tensioning the ridgeline of the tarp itself more difficult with the single CRL. both use the same 'prussik' adjustment, and rely on slack at other connection points.

**side note--- i have experienced a cursing match with whoopies AND webbing that have been put under too much tension, and then need adjustment. i guess its the "point of no return"

sorry to be a root cause of flesh dismemberment - spirit not letter
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Sorry to hear about your experience taylo.

Prusiks can be a pain until you find a way that works for you. For the ridgeline, I do the same as rip and leave it not too tight because once the side tie outs are tightened, the RL gets tightened.

For the side tie outs, I tighten them the same way the surgeons I work with tighten knots during arthroscopic surgery. I put the thumb of my left hand through the D ring or grosgrain loop depending on which tarp I have. Then I wrap the line around a couple of fingers of the same hand a couple of times. Once the the line is secured around my fingers, I can then squeeze my thumb and fingers together creating slack on the prusik. I use my other hand to slide the prusik along the line. It sound more complicated than it is. It's like tying your shoe laces. Once you get the motion down, it can be down with out looking or thinking. I can literally do it in few seconds.

This works for me but may not work for others. I have pretty robust fingers and have never had problems working and tightening thin cordage.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Something that may help a bit is to use Klemheist instead of prusik knot. The Klemheist is directional - it only works when tension is going to be in one direction. Since that is the case with tarp lines, it's appropriate. I find that it backs off easier.

However, both knots grab the line according to how many wraps you use. Too many wraps and it's hard to release, too few wraps and it slips.

Even cinch buckles rely on tension to hold the straps. It takes some coaxing to release them too.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    After some backyard experimentation, I think I'm going to go with two separate ridgelines, but use Bloomgorges tarp keys on each, instead of prussics. Like Rip said, I found the same problem with prussic tension even on the CRL. But the tarp keys are easy to tension and release, I had them laying around but never used them much, now I love them.
    Also I still found Brandon's stake knot superior to all other methods I could try out. It's just too simple to dislike.

My fingers will be forever grateful.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123