Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

I want new folks opinions please

I want to know from people who have recently started using hammocks or just discovered them to tell me what your thoughts on the whoopie sling suspensions difficulty of use.

The reason being I am making my best friends brother a hammock he asked a few years ago and I turned him down but I have the DIY bug again and reconsidered.

I have been around for quite some time and knows the ways of amsteel for longer than that so the use of a whoopie sling makes perfect sense to me so I am extremely biased. The hammock I made for his brother is a strap setup. I wanted to cut down on the weight for him because he is a boy scout and may take it backpacking with him potentially.

My plan is thus. he is a large lad min 200lbs so a 1.9 11.5' bed with whoopie slings and the Dutchware whoopie hooks, I am going to put instructions for the hooks and an SPE and what not in with it but I got to thinking. I wont be there to help him set it up so a video is a must but I was just looking for opinions.
    Last edited by samiam2714; 03-14-2012 at 15:36.
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

Just added them to my WBBB and could not be happier with them.

Jason

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phnx/Brrw/Incbtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Since he's a boy scout he would probably be very intrigued by the whoopie sling. Straps and buckles are commonplace but the whoopie sling is pretty cool!

I am new to hammocks, and I immediately switched out my suspension to whoopies with dutch's whoopie hooks. It's a breeze.

My only suggestion is to make sure he knows how to "milk" the sling once he has it placed correctly. That's my noob 2¢.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    He'll probably be intrigued by the whoopies, and impressed that that skinny little string will actually support his weight...easily.

They're not difficult to use...I just added them to my setup (and my son's) in Jan, and we've used them on our last two outings. No issues at all for either of us adjusting or using them. The only thing we do different than most is to attach the slings to the MSH via a lightweight climbing 'biner, rather than a toggle or dutch clips. No risk at all of the sling coming up over the knot or off the strap at all that way.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I am certainly more confident in my decision now. Thanks folks
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    You can't think like a Hammock Forum member on this guys. I have recently setup my two brothers and a friend. All 3 have whoopie slings and until a week ago none where members here. You can count on one thing, when your not there the marlin spike will be forgotten. No one will be there to quote Shug "the knot and not the toggle". He may think its cool until he is out in the woods and can't remember how to do that spike thingy and gets angry at you for making this thing he can't operate.

Straps are simple, they work like a backpack shoulder strap that everyone and there mom knows how to use. Hope this helps.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

I am not new to using a hammock, but I just did the whoopie sling mod to my Hennessy Expedition 2.5. When we got to camp I had to set up in the dark, and I could not remember which part of the whoopie you had to pull on to tighten the suspension. It was a little counter intuitive, and it took me a few minutes to get the hang of it. It also did not help that I was using trees on an incline, and had trouble getting the hammock to lay horizontally.

For a second or two, I panicked and thought that I had ruined my hammock doing this mod. But I finally got it straitened out, and had a pretty good nights sleep. If I were to try this as my first night off the ground, I might be a bit intimidated.

I really liked everything about them when I first learned. It's a clever solution, lightweight, usually easy to operate... But I could not get them to work as advertised without a lot of adjusting sometimes. And I also still tied safety knots with them. I ended up going back to straps because I have to hang short distances quite a bit and it's just a lot less hassle with straps.

I don't think whoopies have as much novelty unless you hanged with other systems with more knots and hardware first. Once you do that you can appreciate their minimalistic brilliance.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    You can't think like a Hammock Forum member on this guys. I have recently setup my two brothers and a friend. All 3 have whoopie slings and until a week ago none where members here. You can count on one thing, when your not there the marlin spike will be forgotten. No one will be there to quote Shug "the knot and not the toggle". He may think its cool until he is out in the woods and can't remember how to do that spike thingy and gets angry at you for making this thing he can't operate.

Straps are simple, they work like a backpack shoulder strap that everyone and there mom knows how to use. Hope this helps.
    Two words: Dutch Buckle / Elephant Trunk

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    JRB spinn hex
    Whoopies couldn't be simpler. I haven't even camped with my setup yet but I did read quite a bit

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast