Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    you forgot the kitchen sink.....
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    I weigh 230 and have spent a lot of time in the WWM. And let's be honest... does anyone really understand the science of weight limits? I sure as heII don't. At some point, any hammock will wear out. I guess I try to be conservative with weight limits. I don't want a guy, say 230 (like me) adding an underquilt, a ridgeline, a lantern, a sleeping bag, a couple of books, a full set of clothes, a laptop computer, a set of 50 lb. dumbbells, a motorcycle and a mid-weight barnyard animal (think goat or burro) and a sharp machete blade down on the fabric to the mix and saying "this thing broke on me."
    lol this gave me a good laugh.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    So Grizz or anybody, what is the zugspitze of gathered end weight? Say a tot. including body,susp, huggers at 6oz? Would that be the target to shoot for?
    I remember roughly a year and a half ago Sgt.Rock tempting me into the nano and the subsequent fall to the ground-1 in a million I'm sure but reluctance is my to cherish when it comes to the uberlightweight fabrics.
    Of course the challenge would be hanger weight dependent, so lets standardize the challenge like we do with drugs here in the care....typical 18 year old 180 pound male (with good renal function)...who can produce the sub 6 ounce hammock with the noted accutrements?
    Obviously the challenge will be the huggers....now anyone remember transparent aluminum and whales?

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    So Grizz or anybody, what is the zugspitze of gathered end weight? Say a tot. including body,susp, huggers at 6oz? Would that be the target to shoot for?
    I remember roughly a year and a half ago Sgt.Rock tempting me into the nano and the subsequent fall to the ground-1 in a million I'm sure but reluctance is my to cherish when it comes to the uberlightweight fabrics.
    Of course the challenge would be hanger weight dependent, so lets standardize the challenge like we do with drugs here in the care....typical 18 year old 180 pound male (with good renal function)...who can produce the sub 6 ounce hammock with the noted accutrements?
    Obviously the challenge will be the huggers....now anyone remember transparent aluminum and whales?
    I can get you to 10.35 oz. which includes:
    1) 52 inch x 132 inch hammock
    2) Continuous AmSteel loops in the channels
    3) Small bag with 12 or so inches of paracord and a cordlock (1-3 combine for 5.95 oz.)
    4) Pair of aluminum toggles
    5) Pair of 1 inch wide x 72 inch long webbing straps
    6) Pair of whoopies (4-6 combine for 4.4 oz.).

Now that's the WHOLE kit. Optionally, you could shave weight:
    1) Standard straps weigh 2.9 oz. per pair. That's 12 feet or .24 oz. per foot. Shorten those suckers to 60 inches and save half an ounce (2.4 oz.). This brings your pack to about 9.85 oz.
    2) Scrap the whoopies and make it work with webbing alone. A 1.28 oz. savings gets you to 8.57.
    3) Scrap the toggles. Use sticks. Not much savings, at .17 oz. Brings you to 8.4 oz.

If you wanna compare apples to apples, the Grand Trunk Nano 7 is 48 inches wide, 9 feet long, weighs 7 oz. and has biners included. As I see it, toggles accomplish the same thing as biners... they attach your hammock cord to a suspension system. With toggles, our WWM is 6.12 ounces.

I could easily cut two feet off the WWM, cut 4 inches off the width, include toggles with the system and have a sub-6 oz. hammock. Griz can do the math... I can't be exactly sure what the weight savings would be there, but it would be something... probably about an ounce. Suspension wise, we're still going to be around 4 oz. if you use webbing, whoopies and toggles. I suppose some DynaGlide whoopies would save a few grams over our Amsteel whoopies... but I really don't see any way to get MUCH more of a savings.

Our goal was to develop a hammock that would be lighter than the GT Nano 7. I feel like we did just that with a hammock that's wider, longer and that costs less. We could keep shaving width and length on our hammock -- and we will upon request -- but that's a mighty comfortable hammock to weigh 6 oz.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I could easily cut two feet off the WWM, cut 4 inches off the width, include toggles with the system and have a sub-6 oz. hammock. Griz can do the math... I can't be exactly sure what the weight savings would be there, but it would be something... probably about an ounce.
    you rang? Lemme see, 24" length off a 132"x52" piece is 24"x52", then 4" width off the remaining 108"x52" piece is 4"x108", you whacked off 1680 in^2, that's 1.3 yd^2, if the material is 1.1 oz/yd^2 there's 1.425 oz laying on the floor.
    We could keep shaving width and length on our hammock -- and we will upon request -- but that's a mighty comfortable hammock to weigh 6 oz.
    and more broadly speaking, this is an excellent point. The things one does to knock off the last couple of ounces in a setup are going to impact ease of use, durability, comfort, or weight safety margins. One knocks off those last ounces to show it can be done, find the minimum possible, not because the difference can be felt in the pack.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    you rang? Lemme see, 24" length off a 132"x52" piece is 24"x52", then 4" width off the remaining 108"x52" piece is 4"x108", you whacked off 1680 in^2, that's 1.3 yd^2, if the material is 1.1 oz/yd^2 there's 1.425 oz laying on the floor.

and more broadly speaking, this is an excellent point. The things one does to knock off the last couple of ounces in a setup are going to impact ease of use, durability, comfort, or weight safety margins. One knocks off those last ounces to show it can be done, find the minimum possible, not because the difference can be felt in the pack.
    Man, Griz, I love your comprehension of this stuff. You are "Professor Hammock." Thanks for weighing in and adding a LOT to this thread. Your math looks good to me and your point about sacrifices for the minimum are DEAD on. By the way, this elimination of 1.425 oz. would bring the HAMMOCK (with channel cord) weight to 4.525 oz. with the exact length and width specs as the GT Nano 7.

Also you're right about the sacrifices with knocking off those last few ounces. Even if we don't cut our hammock to the same specs as the Nano 7, we're ALREADY below it in weight. If we do? We're WAY below the GT Nano, but then our hammock would be just as uncomfortable (and pint sized) as theirs is. That's not a game I want to play. We can make a 48x108 inch hammock or even a 44x96 hammock and keep sizing down, down, down. What would that accomplish? Same thing as they accomplished when they put a third, then a fourth blade on my razor and called it innovation. Nothing.

I'm glad to beat the Nano 7 by an ounce with a larger, more comfortable hammock. I think we'll stick a fork in it with that. No sense in going farther, unless it's a custom job.
    Last edited by jbrianb; 03-20-2012 at 21:49.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Want to give Brian at BIAS hammocks a big thumbs up. Been in contact with him for the last day through several emails to figure out what I wanted. He is now doing one of these for me but a custom with a knotty Mod (draw strings on both ends) and also wider than his stock one. I know it will be a little heavier but for the comfort I will not care. Also setting me up with the straps whoopie slings and toggles every thing i wanted ready to go just sent payment and got a email saying they would work on it this weekend and try to ship Mon. This is my second order from them and they are always willing to answer my questions. If they do get it shipped Mon I will have a custom hammock in less than a week. Will let every one know how it looks when it gets here.

Jason

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm going to try to get it out tomorrow. Brian has the suspension and amsteel. The weight with just hammock and bag.(don't have the continuous loops here) was just under .6 lbs. Hope you enjoy it. The finished size was 67 X 131.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by tncamper View Post
    I'm going to try to get it out tomorrow. Brian has the suspension and amsteel. The weight with just hammock and bag.(don't have the continuous loops here) was just under .6 lbs. Hope you enjoy it. The finished size was 67 X 131.
    That would be amazing if you do if not not a problem. Interested to see how the knotty mod works never tried a hammock with it. Thanks for the great communication so far.

Jason

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge KAQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie/Straps
    Same thing as they accomplished when they put a third, then a fourth blade on my razor and called it innovation. Nothing.
    I just wanted to add that Shick has a razor out with 5 blades. Perhaps it's time to cut your hammock in half and tell everyone to sleep in the fetal position, in the name of weight savings?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast