Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I think the situation started getting out of control when Rock started getting too busy to be on much. At least I haven't seen his or Dixie's influence over there much this summer. I'm thinking he used to be able to nip a lot of it before it got out of hand. The respect he has over there with most of the regulars give him an edge on keeping folks appropriate. I know, as an IT person who also has a message board on the 'net, that us IT folks are into the technical stuff rather than the walloping folks over the head for misbehaving stuff. A large message board takes huge helpings of both.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

I never went to WB since I live on the other side of the country but I do know how disapointing it is when forums get out of hand and a small faction of people ruin it for the majority. Hummm. Sounds like Federalist Paper number 10.

Besides, my hammock is bigger than your hammock! Na, na, na,na

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    As someone who has never visited WhiteBlaze (and now apparently it's shut down and I can't) I have to ask: What the heck goes on over there that it's worth fighting about over the internet with strangers? I thought it was about AT hiking and things related. Am I missing something? I'm not being sarcastic; I can't for the life of me think what could cause such a heated argument.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I enjoy WB, and am thankful that the couple of nonsense threads that I participate in over there are allowed to continue. One of them has turned into more of a chat room for a handful of us to keep in touch, and I've met at least 3 of the folks from that thread in real life because of it. We self-moderate on it, and it stays a humorous thread with no contention, even though it has one or two of the more outspoken members participating.

I had dinner with another of the outspoken members who was in town for business last night. We met because of WB, where he had mentioned he would be here. We had a several minute discussion about the reasons the board was down with the other two WB members at the table. I represented the opposite faction from this person, but we were able to voice our thoughts on the subject of the closing of the board and it's issues and still continue to enjoy dinner afterwards.

Because of WB I have met several people who have become friends. I appreciate it, and I appreciate Hammock Forums for the same reason. I continue to seek out meetings with the folks I 'talk' to on both forums, and my life is much more interesting because of it.

Not to mention that I now own 8 hammocks, 3 packs, 3 tents (to loan out ), etc...
    Hey there Shadowmoss!
    Wow, there have been a bunch of responses since I started this thread last night!

Like I said, I only went to the hammock threads at WB, and I had not noticed any negativity other than ground dwellers dropping in to strongly state their low opinions of hammocks. But even that was not to a level, IMO, to require drastic action. However, there is no telling what it is like on other threads, or what happened on the hammock threads during the several days since I last went there. Apparently some pretty intense exchanges were happening on some threads.

I think it does help that many folks here know each other in real life, from hang outs and such.

Shadowmoss, I'm glad to see that yoiu slightly exceed me in accumulated hammock related gear. I just got another one from Ccorbridge, so that I can give the BMBH another try, now that I have lost a very few pounds as I start to get ready for September's Rocky Mountains hike. I have definitely got to have a gear closet sale SOON!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-01-2008 at 10:44.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    As a total outsider looking in on wb, and from discussions last night with someone who goes back on there much longer than I, some understanding is dawning.

The tensions go way back. The AT has several different political entities attached to it. So, you can see a bad start right there, political entities. Where here at HF, knowing each other in real life is a plus, I think that many of the folks at WB have squared off against each other over politics of the trail and related organizations in real life over the past 20 years or so. Opinions have been formed. Grudges made. A comment was 'I was always taught that the only way to deal with a bully is to punch him in the nose'. So, person A says something emotional. Person B, who already has a grudge against person A because of a fight 15 years ago, sees it as person A trying to bully someone else, so he 'punches the bully in the nose', which causes persons C through ad nauseum to jump in to declare how justified/unprovoked/related/unrelated/mean spirited/all in good fun/typical/out of character all of the above reactions were. Soon, everyone is ready to punch everyone else in the nose.

Just my humble observatons. My comment was that the only way to not be a problem when all this happens is to just not post. Anything at all said, no matter what it is, becomes part of the problem. So, I stayed quiet on the board as much as i wanted to jump in to defend the ones I was sympathetic to.

Last night we changed the subject back to hiking...
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    the intermess is a strange beast. I'm sorry to see WB having issues. I didn't notice them! Yes, the political threads got to name calling. That happens on the Drum-Builders forum I Admin. Happens everywhere. I hope they quickly figure it out and how to moderate it. It is a no-win issue! On the drum forum, I just have three free-to-sign-up groups. And UP FRONT, I let them know that personal attacks on the REAL forum will not be tolerated. In the Political sub-forum, they can call each other all the names they want!
    Want to know a funny? Two of the polar-opposites, got together out in LA, had lunch, went to a concert and got ALONG just great in person! Then they went back and called each other "pin head, dope smoking, neo-facist" on the forum! And were laughing about it! It's easy to be a "intermess phantom".....
    Hopeing the best for WB.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    On the drum forum, I just have three free-to-sign-up groups. And UP FRONT, I let them know that personal attacks on the REAL forum will not be tolerated. In the Political sub-forum, they can call each other all the names they want!
    I have to say, I like this idea. At least you know what you are getting into when you go to something called the "political subforum." You can even put a disclaimer on the description of the subforum that warns people about the content allowed in that forum. If they don't want to read it, that is up to them. It leaves the main part of the forum to be for substantive things. Thus, less wading through all the s--t talking that means nothing to those not involved to try to find good advice. There is so much experience that people could draw from over there; I hope you can find a way to make it work!

Images
    Years ago I used to frequent WB quite often, but haven't really much in the last year or two.
    This happens on a lot of forums and one of the most effective things I've seen done is making a 'lounge' (or whatever you want to call it) where anything OT can go.
    Then moderation of the rest of the forum is key to push all OT stuff that way.
    On top of that is the 'ignore' function. People can ignore certain users (they won't even see their posts) and they can also ignore whole sub-forums.
    So most people that hate the drivel of the OT bickering will 'ignore' the 'lounge' entirely so they don't even see that crap. The wolves can all eat each other if they want but the rest of the site moves along with it's necessary content.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    What the heck goes on over there that it's worth fighting about over the internet with strangers?
    First the handful (maybe 5-8) that are the cause of this do know each other outside of the forum and have very strong opinions about historical actions that took place 5+ years ago. It is bad blood that has never been allowed to cool. The Internet never forgets!
    I thought it was about AT hiking and things related. Am I missing something?
    It still is, but if you ask about what size cooking pot should you bring, within 3 posts you'll get 2-3 of the bad boys name calling in your thread and all of the good posts get lost in the screaming.

WB was my first on-line forum experience (way back in late 2002), it was a great place. Many of the same people that were there then are still there now. But the recent (within the past 2-3 years) addition of 1-2 "bad seeds" has proved to be a catalyst to 4-5 latent "bad seeds" to start sprouting. If I could hand pick the removal of 1-2 people the whole forum would be better as the other 4-5 would just go away.

Historically, WB was started (no longer around today) by a crazy drunk (seriously) that allowed anything on his board, but for the most part no one (except the drunk at 3am) took advantage of the open policy. Well fast forward 6+ years and the slippery slop ended up very, very steep. And all hell broke loose.

Troll and boys just need to hit the reset button and become tough guys for a couple of months and everything will cool off. It would seriously help if they would just drop the political forums all together. Even with the subscription model to access those forums, the anger and opinions spills over into the non-political forums.
    Last edited by tlbj6142; 07-01-2008 at 09:22.

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Family Feud

Shadow

Very insightful background. I think that is probably what has happened on many forums where the subject has a lot of history i.e. the AT, Scouting, etc.

Whereas here it was all very new 1st generation Hanging Family.

20 Years from now it may get nasty here between the 2nd generation Hennessy folk (Hatfields) and the 3rd Gen DIY Speer folk (McCoys).

cc

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    As a total outsider looking in on wb, and from discussions last night with someone who goes back on there much longer than I, some understanding is dawning.

The tensions go way back. The AT has several different political entities attached to it. So, you can see a bad start right there, political entities. Where here at HF, knowing each other in real life is a plus, I think that many of the folks at WB have squared off against each other over politics of the trail and related organizations in real life over the past 20 years or so. Opinions have been formed. Grudges made. A comment was 'I was always taught that the only way to deal with a bully is to punch him in the nose'. So, person A says something emotional. Person B, who already has a grudge against person A because of a fight 15 years ago, sees it as person A trying to bully someone else, so he 'punches the bully in the nose', which causes persons C through ad nauseum to jump in to declare how justified/unprovoked/related/unrelated/mean spirited/all in good fun/typical/out of character all of the above reactions were. Soon, everyone is ready to punch everyone else in the nose.

Just my humble observatons. My comment was that the only way to not be a problem when all this happens is to just not post. Anything at all said, no matter what it is, becomes part of the problem. So, I stayed quiet on the board as much as i wanted to jump in to defend the ones I was sympathetic to.

Last night we changed the subject back to hiking...
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast