Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    I haven't seen the threads that caused this action, but I would like to express how I feel about Whiteblaze.

The WB forum and Hammock Forums are two totally different feels. When I go to WB, I often find myself searching through many meaningless threads and posts in order to get to anything with substance. Here, I often find myself having to back away from the computer and take a break after trying to conceptualize all the different projects, modifications, and innovations that forum members have come up with. There are probably about ten things I can think of on my project list that are HF creations. It is almost too much information here at HF to really enjoy the conversation, but that why it is so valuable. To me, the difference is sort of like the difference between reading an encyclopedia and a grocery line tabloid. Know what I mean?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    "Weekly World News... Best investigative newspaper on the planet.." Men in Black

excuse me please... I'm up too late.... and now I have to wait for meatloaf to finish cooking.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Wow, I was surprised when I read this thread! Is that website really dedicated to sharing experiences and knowledge of the majestic AT? It sure seems that the conversations engaged here on HF are for edification purposes, gear refinement and honest feedback, then it's off to the trails for us, the backyard or the sewing table to put the time spent on the computer to good practical use, outdoors, that is what it's all about! I'm happy to interact on a website where I feel safe and the vibe is positive for all walks of life and experience. My 2 cents.
    [....] Our remnants of wilderness will yield bigger values to the nation's character and health than they will to its pocketbook, and to destroy them will be to admit that the latter are the only values that interest us.

Images
    i have also noticed alot if bickering over there lately. it's shameful really, someone asks a quetion over there and they get told off for asking it and all other stuff. can't everyone just be civil.
    Cheers, Jay

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I enjoy WB, and am thankful that the couple of nonsense threads that I participate in over there are allowed to continue. One of them has turned into more of a chat room for a handful of us to keep in touch, and I've met at least 3 of the folks from that thread in real life because of it. We self-moderate on it, and it stays a humorous thread with no contention, even though it has one or two of the more outspoken members participating.

I had dinner with another of the outspoken members who was in town for business last night. We met because of WB, where he had mentioned he would be here. We had a several minute discussion about the reasons the board was down with the other two WB members at the table. I represented the opposite faction from this person, but we were able to voice our thoughts on the subject of the closing of the board and it's issues and still continue to enjoy dinner afterwards.

Because of WB I have met several people who have become friends. I appreciate it, and I appreciate Hammock Forums for the same reason. I continue to seek out meetings with the folks I 'talk' to on both forums, and my life is much more interesting because of it.

Not to mention that I now own 8 hammocks, 3 packs, 3 tents (to loan out ), etc...
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have to agree with what someone else said, it's not like the pot at WB boiled over all of a sudden. It's been brewing for some time now. I haven't posted on there much at all in the last month or so since I moved, but there have always been those who don't want to play nice with others since I've been on WB. There are entirely too many personal attacks and threats, usually from those who have the biggest cyberballs around and nothing to back it up.

Part of the beauty of HF is that, for all intents and purposes, and with very little exception, we're a self-moderated group. It's funny now well a forum of this sort can go when the overwhelming majority of its members treat others with respect. I'm with the other previous posters to this thread. I think the fact that a large percentage of the folks at WB are ground dwellers is a resonable theory as to why there is so much bickering and name calling over at WB. Hopefully, those folks will stay far, far away from our happy little corner of the cyber-universe.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    It's good to see everyone pretty much in agreement over what is going on over there and the hard work Troll is doing. Anymore I would usually just check to chime in on southbound or DIY things. The rest gets too much to handle. It shows the slippery slope that things can be. Let a lot of off topic or politic stuff start and it gets out of hand fast.

Someone touched on it, but a lot of us know each other personally. We have campouts or get togethers. I don't know everyone here, but I think through the 7 degrees of seperation I know most people. I think that goes far.

I think it is a good lesson too. I know the Mod's have a tough job. We all should step in if needed too. I'm not saying to attack anyone, just if someone is out of line call them on it and say it isn't cool.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I know the Mod's have a tough job. We all should step in if needed too. I'm not saying to attack anyone, just if someone is out of line call them on it and say it isn't cool.
    Agreed. The Mod Squad does a good job here and they're great guys. Coffee hits the nail right on the head; as a group that is pretty well behaved, it should be the responsibility of each member to, in a tactful but clear manner, call another member on behavior or statements that are out of line.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

White Blaze was the first camping forum I visited regularly. I found it through Sgt Rock's site, I think, when I was doing 'net searches on hammock camping topics. On top of that, I got my camping start with the Scouts a loonnggg time ago on and near the AT in the MD/PA/VA area. So, I have a soft spot for WB...I daily visit seven camping forums and WB is the first of the day.

And I participate in the political forums. But I gotta say, much (most?) of the commentary there is 'disappointing'...there's way too much personal attack and way too little mature discussion of whatever specific issue is at hand. Unfortunately, this parrots what we see and hear in/on most other media. There's lots of hollering and personal attack, not so much substance about the issues.

What troubles me about the current WB state is that it developed, IMO, out of a lack of enforcement of the rules. The posted 'rules' are fine but they need to be enforced. Otherwise, many will continually test and cross the line, just as a toddler or young child will continually test the limits. And, as with those with young children, those behind the scenes at WB need to enforce the rules.

I must say, though, that I had a bad taste in my mouth when I saw WB shut down for a couple days because of the infractions. It reminded me of my school days when a teacher would punish the whole class because of what one or two students did. I never thought much of that technique...

Maintaining a forum, either from the technical side or from a discipline viewpoint, must be very difficult and tiring. And I really appreciate those who do that. I understand their frustration and I wish them luck and success.

FB

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just wanted to throw in my two cents and say that this is THE MOST civil forum I have ever been on.

People here are almost always courteous, helpful AND encouraging.

Even a Scouting ( ...helpful, friendly, courteous, kind...)forum I was memeber of got really nasty at times mostly due IMO to some members thinking they are B-P reincarnate and therefore god's gift to Scouting.

Anyway - Thanks to moderators and all fellow hangers for making this the best forum there is.

Hang On!

cc
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast