Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

Does anyone own or know about the Gear Guide Emergency Tarp?

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has seen or own the Gear Guide Emergency Tarp http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=954704

It looks like a hex tarp and I was wondering what the coverage was like over your hammock and if you like it?

I've already purchased 2 of the 12 x 12 gear guide tarps, but could use a 3rd and didn't know if I should stick with the 12 x 12 or go with one of these tarps.

Any feedback on the emergency tarp would be great.

Images
    I saw that when ordering a 12x12 and was very interested. I believe it is a new product, so there may not be anyone out there that has one yet. The 14 ft ridgeline is a bit longer than most would prefer. I think the 4 lb weight listed might scare some people off, but if the poles are ~1 lb each, that puts it in the same 30-32 oz range as the 12x12. This one is definitely less versatile, pretty much just 1 way to pitch it, but simple has its benefits too. The reason I did not order one was the price difference. $18 for the 12x12 and double that for this one. I'm still curious about it and would love to see a real world comparison of the two.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit

Spec differences

The Guide Gear 12x12 has 144 feet of coverage. This one has 123 feet. The fabric is exactly the same according to the spec sheets, so it appears it's just a shape/size/cut difference. That said, those catenary cuts look nice. If anyone gets one, I'd love to hear about it. I got the 12x12 because of price and coverage.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Images
    If the 12x12 was really 144 sq ft @ 30 oz that would be .208 oz per sq ft x 123= 25.625 oz. for this one, but judging from the diagram below, the 12x12 is not actually 144 sq ft, due to the cat cuts.

I have no idea how to figure the actual area of the 12x12 to do a true comparison though. Maybe a math guru can step in here and calculate.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    ...The fabric is exactly the same according to the spec sheets, so it appears it's just a shape/size/cut difference.
    Not quite: The emergency shelter is 190T polyester with 1000 mm polyurethane coating. The 12 x 12 is 190T nylon with 1000 mm polyurethane coating. Just sayin'...
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by theflb View Post
    If the 12x12 was really 144 sq ft @ 30 oz that would be .208 oz per sq ft x 123= 25.625 oz. for this one, but judging from the diagram below, the 12x12 is not actually 144 sq ft, due to the cat cuts.

I have no idea how to figure the actual area of the 12x12 to do a true comparison though. Maybe a math guru can step in here and calculate.

I entered the dimensions in to AutoCAD drafting program and came up with a coverage of 118 sf for the 12 x 12 with the cat cuts. This should be close if the diagram dimensions are correct. So the 12 x 12 seems to be less then emergency tarp, at 123 sf.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Not quite: The emergency shelter is 190T polyester with 1000 mm polyurethane coating. The 12 x 12 is 190T nylon with 1000 mm polyurethane coating. Just sayin'...
    Nice catch I did not see that. I wonder what the difference in weight and packability are for polyester vs nylon.

Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    I entered the dimensions in to AutoCAD drafting program and came up with a coverage of 118 sf for the 12 x 12 with the cat cuts. This should be close if the diagram dimensions are correct. So the 12 x 12 seems to be less then emergency tarp, at 123 sf.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. I never would have been able to figure that out on my own.

I guess it all depends on the difference in the fabric, now. I'd love to get one to compare, but I've got 4 tarps already. Then again, I've got some $10 cards coming with my new sportsman's guide membership... hmm....

Hammock
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    You are correct. I saw that 190T and 1000 poly coating and stopped reading. Thanks for the clarification.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    Nice skills. I didn't realize the 12x12 had the cat cuts.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com

I purchased one and it should be here any day now. I'm just getting into hammock camping so this will be my first tarp so with no experience on the subject I have nothing to compare it to. Like mentioned before 4lbs could include the weight of the poles. At least that is what I am hoping. For the price I think it will be good and if the material is a little heavier I'm hoping that will make it durable. In the long run I would rather carry something a little bit heavier and have it last then to carry something ultra light and pricey and worry about it the whole time. Just my newby 2%.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast