Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoops
    Images

Help with Amsteel Triangle Thingies

I feel like a dunce , but this is my first splicing project and I am hoping someone will provide some instructions for making amsteel Triangle Thingies for use with a PLUQ. I saw the thread from Rawhide and the pics he posted, I would just like to see how the rest of it comes together.

BTW, thanks for a great forum, I am just geting into hammocking, and it is such a blessing to be able to tap into the knowledge of so many people. I camp and backpack a lot with my son's Scout Troop and my back just didn't take to the ground like it did 30 years ago . After soaking up wisdom from the forum, I am now the proud owner of a WBBB with whoopies and hooks from Dutch, and an Edge tarp with CRL and Dutch hardware (what a great guy to deal with). I also made a no sew PLUQ, that I think will be good for me here in N. Fl.

The Troop is doing a 50 mile backpacking trip along the Suwanee River in about 10 days and I want to finish up my PLUQ suspension this weekend. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Robert
    Micah 6:8 ESV
    He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Hi Robert,

Below is a link to splicing a continuous loop, which is probably what you would use for the triangle thingies with an attachment at three points. Amsteel will certainly work, but would be overkill for strength. Most are made from lighweight nylon, sometimes with grossgain edging. Some have even made them with only the grossgain.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ontinuous+loop

BTW, hello from South Florida and Go Gators!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    +1 on Amsteel being overkill (that said, I made one out of amsteel just for giggles). I made several sets from random nylon cord as well as plain old Mason Line - lighter than amsteel and plenty strong. Spliced as well just simply tying overhand knots to make the loops. IMO overhand knots are much easier - splicing them is great for the cool factor but doesn't serve much purpose.

At any rate, you simply do 2 fixed loops. You have to pull the 1st loop all the way through the amsteel to create the 2nd loop (tough, but doable) and then triple splice the 3rd loop (IIRC there are pics in the thread of the layout used on the 3rd). Stare at them for a bit and it becomes clear which line goes where to finish it up.

Not a step by step, but if you're familiar with fixed loops it's pretty straightforward. Took me the longest time to figure out I had to pull the 1st loop through the line with a fixed loop in it already to make the 2nd (and not sure if that's how Rawhide did it, but it works )

*Edit*
    For my WBBB I made a pair using nylon and Grosgrain, because I was concerned that using just line could possibly cause a wear spot on the bug netting getting stressed between the triangle line and the hammock ridgeline. I figured spreading the stress over a larger area via the grosgrain would lessen that risk - not sure if thats true or not. I haven't used them on my WBBB yet - just my DIY which has a seperate bugnet. Just something to keep in mind. The line ones should work great if you're just hanging them off a ridgeline.
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 03-22-2012 at 07:48. Reason: Added a thought
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    *Edit*
    . The line ones should work great if you're just hanging them off a ridgeline.
    If you have an exposed ridgeline just use prussik loops attached to the ridgeline

I have made some for hammocks with nets using the grosgrain across the top and cord on the sides to form the triangle. You will need to stitch the grosgrain to the cord to keep it from sliding. This may be similar to what you were describing.

I have been working with the triangles again and the latest version is 2 prussik loops attaching to a loop of cord. You can slide the prussik loops on the loop to position each side at a different angle to pull the UQ asym.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Welcome from Gainesville!

+1 on the triangles not needing to be particularly strong; you're going to be putting less than ten pounds' stress on them at most. If you decide to go with cord, simple knots should work just fine. If you decide to use nylon, then here's a fairly easy to follow how-to guide.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I have been working with the triangles again and the latest version is 2 prussik loops attaching to a loop of cord. You can slide the prussik loops on the loop to position each side at a different angle to pull the UQ asym.
    Yo! I love this idea!
    It's so simple and so obvious: that's probably why I never thought of it
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    If you have an exposed ridgeline just use prussik loops attached to the ridgeline

I have made some for hammocks with nets using the grosgrain across the top and cord on the sides to form the triangle. You will need to stitch the grosgrain to the cord to keep it from sliding. This may be similar to what you were describing.
    Pretty similar, but I did the full fabric version. (see below)

Great idea! I'll put that on my list of stuff to play with.

I also really liked Scum's idea here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...9&postcount=11

But haven't played with that one either.

I guess if one is truly worried about damaging the netting, they could consider running a 2nd ridgeline above the net to take all the stress. You could use Scums idea like that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Welcome from Gainesville!
    If you decide to use nylon, then here's a fairly easy to follow how-to guide.

Hope it helps!
    Thats the guide I based my fabric ones on, except I did a symmetrical triangle - his version is actually easier I seem to make things more difficult than they need to be sometimes

Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoops
    Images

Thanks

Thanks Everyone for the responses. That's what I love about forum sites, people who are willing to share their ideas and help others develop ideas.

I did realize the amsteel was overkill, but I was concerned about wear on the bugnet of my BB. But I just picked up some 1/4" grossgrain webbing and I am going to put something together tonight with that and mason line. That really appeals to the lightweight backpacker in me . i will try and post some pics when I get done.

Thanks again!
    He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoops
    Images
    Well, they are not the most high speed or fancy thingies, but they should do. My beautiful wife sewed loops in the end of a strip of 1/4" grossgrain webbing and I used mason line for the other two legs. The loop is an alpine butterfly and I will larks head it onto the ridge line of my WBBB just outside the gather. I do like that it is simple and only weighs .05 oz.
    Thanks everyone for the ideas!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Your thingie looks great! That should protect your net very well.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts