Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    JRB spinn hex

Questions on vintage injectors of thread!

I honestly never thought I would want a 'thread injector'. I had thought about getting one over the past year (pre hammock forums for me) due to the fact that I am 5'7 with about a 28 or 29 inseam. It makes sense for me to have my jeans hemmed that I wear in public, but to pay to hem something like PJ pants (because apparently all men should have a 34" inseam) is just ridiculous. At least to me.

I went to the thread injector repair shop that is 2 blocks from my apt today. Strangely enough there are two sewing stores within a block of each other and within 2-3 blocks of me. I would have never thought that in this modern day there would be a need for such a thing, but I guess I lucked out! The gentleman (yes, I said man!) who owns the sewing machine store is somewhat known. He was the head warranty technician for Singer in the 70's. I imagine he knows his stuff and from the reviews on Yelp, I have read that he does.

Now to the meat of it. I went in there asking for a machine from the 60's or 70's. He asked if I want a 'black'. I told him I don't know much and explained what I want the machine for. He told me he has a Singer 972 black in stock for $60 that only sews a straight stitch. He also said that the machines in the 60's and 70's were made with inferior metals and he really doesn't suggest that I buy that one. He brought out a Janome my excel 23L. He showed it to me, it is white with a metal body and a plastic front cover, but the main body is metal. He told me it is a better machine than the old Singer, has more than a straight stitch (zig zag, etc.) and it would cost me $125. I haven't started negotiating but told him I would be back after I researched the machines.

I want to make gear and hem pants. That is all I ever expect to have to do. So, what do the diy hammock experts recommend? Sorry for my lengthy post!

-Charlie

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    as a general rule Janome makes quality machines, i don't specifically know about this machine or what the value of the machine is so i can't comment on the price

most of the gear you make will only require a straight stitch and actually you can do 100% of it with just that straight stitch if you want.....although a zig zag can be nice to have at times too

i would ask him if the machine comes with any kind of warranty or return policy, i have a friend that owns a sewing repair shop and he always gives a 30 day warranty on any used machine he sells

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    First I have ever heard of the pre 60 Singer machines being inferior. I think I would take my business elsewhere. He mite have just been trying to make a sale.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    JRB spinn hex
    Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    First I have ever heard of the pre 60 Singer machines being inferior. I think I would take my business elsewhere. He mite have just been trying to make a sale.
    It wasn't pre 60 he was talking about. It was mid 60-70s and he had one, he just did not recommend it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brew View Post
    It wasn't pre 60 he was talking about. It was mid 60-70s and he had one, he just did not recommend it.
    Sorry read the year quote wrong.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    + 1 on straight stitch being perfectly adequate. I have gone through 2 or 3 newer machines, but my backup Singer from about '69 never lets me down. I have given up trying to replace it. In my experience any machine from that era is built like a tank, and the simpler the better in my book.
    PS: Craigs list in my area has about 10 older machines for about 30 to 50 bucks...might be worth a look

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    JRB spinn hex
    I went to the sewing store across the street looking for a used machine. The lady there suggested not buying used as you do not know what you are getting. She had a new Janome re1706 (entry level model) for $130. That price seems kind of high compared to what I have seen online but she said they would show me how to do whatever I want. It has a 2 year warranty but they fix them free after that if you bought it there. Not sure if that is worth the jacked up price or not. Wonder if I should just keep any eye open for a nice old gem.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    I don't know anything about the Janome, but have heard they are good machines. I just got home from picking up a portable Singer 401A for $40. Not a thing wrong with it and it sews great.
    I have found another just like it (cabinet model) which I prefer for $75. Look them up on ebay and you will see they are very popular.
    Google them and you will really see how popular they are. I have also found it is pretty easy to find parts for the older Singers, if something does break.
    We now have 5, Singer 401A in the family......love them

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    From what little I know. Somewhere around the 1960's Singer started playing with plastic gears and cog belts to replace an all metal gear and shaft assembly. Fit and finish also suffered trying to hold costs down. If you go older they were solid machines. If you go newer you need to check what is in the machine. Some are all metal and some not. Different models were made. The all metal are considered stronger so better able to handle thick material like flat felled seams, cordura nylon or canvas. The newest machines often include some kind of electromechanical setup to do the fancy stitching. Nice for fancy but I do not know of folks using them to make packs. ;-)
    I wonder about any new machine for $130. Wonder is correct, as I do not know. I would feel comfortable if they would open it up and it was all metal with solid gears and shafts. If it has a cog belt or plastic gears I would pass. SO has the last all solid model Bernina and paid close to a thousand for it.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    JRB spinn hex
    How loud are the vintage machines?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast