Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammock length

Hammock
    1.9oz Ripstop DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and toggles
    Lots of awesome information here! THANKS A TON. I'll research each of these options and let you all know how it came out. Very excited to try getting off the ground. Once again the backpacking community is uber helpfull to the noob. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 100milerunner View Post
    I'm looking at getting a first hammock. I'm looking at the Grand Trunk ultralight. The negative reviews of the GTUL I've read have to do with size. I'm trying to determine if the GTUL will be too short/narrow for me. I'm 6'0 170#.

I'm looking for a cost effective first hammock to try out hanging. I'm read up on suspension and rigging so I don't need a ready out of the box model.

Suggestions/recommendations?
    I've tried 5 or 6 brands of new hammocks. Several were similar - bug net or no bugnet. The three lowend ones that come to mind are my ENO Double, Grand Trunk Double and my Kammock Roo. I may do a further review later; however, I checked over the three last night. The ENo is the shortest, maybe 9'5", the GT about 10'6" and the Kammock around 11'. The ENO was the second widest. The GT was the widest & the Kammock was the narrowest of the three. Lying in all three, I gave the edge to the longest one on comfort. Which was better than the next shortest one and so on. The Kammock in addition had the best stuff sack, material, stitching and biners. I think its the most cost effective for the initial investiment. I just wish they had more than ONE COLOR combination.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    So, if you are not spending much, move on to larger hammocks from the mass marketers, or go to BIAS (Butt in a Sling), or appreciate that for $60 you can get a Warbonnet Traveller that is complete with all suspension -- no extra shipping and handling charges for the other parts -- and you have a hammock that, with 14 more posts, you can sell here in as-new condition for no more than a $25 loss.

Another complete inexpensive hammock to try: Wilderness Logics Snipe.

The important point: You want to avoid unexpected expense and trouble of the suspension -- the rope, hooks, attachment-points, and tree straps.
    Thanks for the shout out, DemostiX. And your points are correct (even about our competitors whose work we greatly respect). Our hammocks are all 11 feet long these days (friends and buyers keep recommending that so we upped it). We sell an inexpensive, but durable 1.9 ripstop Camper hammock ($39.95) and since the initial asker is on HF, we offer a discount on suspension (see the link in my tag line) and that can be had for $19.95. That puts us at Warbonnet's Traveller price... I wish we could be cheaper. They have a great reputation. But it's a good hammock we sell. Check with those who've bought.

No matter where you get it from, I learned that a narrower hammock in a longer length could be very comfortable for me and help me shave weight. Some like a wide hammock, but wide spikes up weight more than long due to the physics of a hammock. A 10 foot by 68 inch hammock weighs far more than an 11 foot by 52 inch hammock, and I find 52 inches x 11 feet is about dead perfect FOR ME. I am 5'10 (that said, my shoulder to height ratio is about 30 percent, so I am a broad fellow).

Just my thoughts.

Thanks again to DemostiX.

Happy hanging, all!
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Go 11 ft,,you won't go wrong, GTUL was worst lay I ever had for me, I am 6' 165lbs, and gave that one to grand daughter and she sleeps in it religously,,and only 5 yrs old.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Agreed, I tried going wider. No Dice. I got a Deep Jungle XL for the extra length and BAM, sweet spot.

Hammock
    1.9oz Ripstop DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and toggles
    Thanks for the additional info. I ended up with a DIY gathered end out of 1.9 rip stop from Jo Ann fabrics. I made the finished length 12 feet and width 58". I figured I could move the whipping inboard to try.an 11 footer. I rolled hemed the sides 1/2" and the end 1". final weight whipped without rigging was 15oz.

I used stuff I had on hand for suspension figuring if I like the hang I'd buy proper slings. I hung it in the basement with utility straps and slept in it last night. Very comfy. 100x better than ground sleeping.

When I order my webbing and amsteel I'm going 2 get shock chord to. I'm thinking of adding head and foot draws like the snipe.

Already figuring out my next project: pluq.
    Thanks again.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I am pretty short, 5 feet or so and I find the GTUL to be a bit short. I use my GTUL for lounging on day hikes. My "sleeping" hammocks are 10 feet long and between 58 and 65 inches wide. I find this to be very comfy for me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    GoLite, Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm 6'4" 240lbs and sleep like a baby in my GTUL. Just gotta get a little diagonal

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Get the GTUL for the tv room. You won't regret that. Mine ended up there and it's way more comfy than the couch. Eye bolts in the walls for hanging from. Put some nice whoopies on it.

I made a DL DIY that's 10' 6" x 58" and is more comfortable than my Hennessy Explorer or Expedition. I'm working on netting for it. I went dual layer for skeeter frustration and to try different pad ideas. I'm 5'10" at 210 and this size gathered end is the most comfortable in my limited experience.

Notice how equipment gets bought and sold quickly in the for sale forum. I think most of us try things out as we find what suits and pass the gear along. Get comfortable with the concept that you'll likely try a few things before you find what works right for you. You won't depreciate it much if you take care of it. What amazes me is how fast warbonnets get snapped up, just minutes before someone commits to buying them. Also check for local hangs in your area. The group near me is very friendly and generous with help and support. Go visit a hang even if you don't spend the night, so you can check out what others are using, you'll gain more than knowledge, you'll meet some new friends.

This forum attracts some of the best folks in the world!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

ideal length

I tried making a 12 footer gathered end. It's super comfortable but it seems too long for my tarps. You know how they say measure twice cut once, so I thought I'd try it before trimming it down shorter, to maybe 11 feet?
    Last edited by dimeotane; 03-26-2012 at 18:50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast