WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard theflg. Didn't really consider you a newbie since you had survived the 2nd Florida Hang without freezing. Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to our first trip next fall.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    As I was traveling alone, it took some personal courage to leave the main roads in alien landscapes and try to find the FL hike and hang group at Richloam. The roadway between the interstate and the turnoff into the forest area was guarded by a large alligator standing up much taller on his legs than I had ever imagined a gator could stand. He was big, apparently waiting his chance to cross the road. My mind raced as I considered how little I knew of gator's habits, how high I could hang and still be able to climb into my hammock, and what my options were at this point. That gator could definitely have reached my hammock. Were these people crazy? Thanks to the superb directions posted by Flackfizer, I easily found the parking lot, gathered my gear and began to hike into the camp area planning to question the attendees immediately upon reaching camp about the dangers lurking in these woods. I watched the ground all around much more carefully than usual. Relieved when I encountered LilRicky on one of his trips to the cars, I began the questioning immediately. After warm welcomes, everyone assured me that alligators only attacked police car bumpers and dogs, USUALLY, and that these woods were much too dry currently for gators to be nearby. Wild pigs were the bigger threat. Gladly, I felt confident I could be safe to stay the night. I had a great time! It was fun to hear the stories of each camper, to be there as more new friends arrived late into the night. Meeting folks whose posts I had been reading on the forums, and all the new friends, was super. The baying hunting dogs, the squealing cornered pigs, and the indignant hoot owls were entertaining! The repeated gunshots were not, however. I look forward to planning another road trip to revisit all the new friends, sights, and sounds. When my son can help me post the group shots I took, I will. Olddog's impressive sherpa had me stopping at thrift and consignment shops along the long road home, looking for my own sherpa to facilitate my hope to return and hike now that I have learned how beautiful the Florida woods are, how welcoming and interesting the folks are, and how compelling listening to the melodic lilt of a southern drawl can be while sitting comfortably by a small fire. I have loved seeing all the great photos and videos of the hike Saturday and Sunday. Thank you to each of you. You made my adventure memorable!

Joyfully, Turtlelady

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I for one definitely enjoyed your visit. If you really would like to see some southern hospitality try to make our next Annual Florida Hang in Jan.2013. Good people and good eats all weekend.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456