Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Yeah, it really does look bigger than mine as well. I have a somewhat on topic question, has anyone ever configured dodgers or vestibule attachments to a tarp for increased coverage, beyond the dimensions of the tarp itself? Is there a smart or simple way to attach wings to the front and foot ends of a tarp? I'm thinking of something similar to the vestibule attachments or dodgers that dart out from the front and rear for extended coverage on ground tarps, much like the Granite Gear accessory. Just a thought? I'm thinking I could use the ATHH on the 6' ridgeline and utilize the 5' of coverage on each side, with an extended dodger on each end of the tarp I could increase coverage by about 4 feet or so. Maybe I'm reaching here?
    [....] Our remnants of wilderness will yield bigger values to the nation's character and health than they will to its pocketbook, and to destroy them will be to admit that the latter are the only values that interest us.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eugeneius View Post
    Yeah, it really does look bigger than mine as well. I have a somewhat on topic question, has anyone ever configured dodgers or vestibule attachments to a tarp for increased coverage, beyond the dimensions of the tarp itself? Is there a smart or simple way to attach wings to the front and foot ends of a tarp? I'm thinking of something similar to the vestibule attachments or dodgers that dart out from the front and rear for extended coverage on ground tarps, much like the Granite Gear accessory. Just a thought? I'm thinking I could use the ATHH on the 6' ridgeline and utilize the 5' of coverage on each side, with an extended dodger on each end of the tarp I could increase coverage by about 4 feet or so. Maybe I'm reaching here?
    My tarp was pitched on the 10' ridgeline, with 3' sides, steep pitch.

You'd basically be carrying at three tarps with your vestibule attachments/dodger on each end, wouldn't you? Kind of like what Grizz did with the poncho end cover, or like I did with my Clark tarp.

Grizz's pic:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...0&d=1209340982

my pic:

The idea I've been floating around in my head would be to add a removable panel to one or both sides when utilizing the 10' ridgeline using a hook and loop type attachment. The big questions are "what does this do to tarp tension" and "how sturdy will this be?" I won't know until I try it. I was going to do it with the Clark tarp first, but I think I want to try a fully rectangular tarp to test the stress on the connections. I just haven't had the time to do the test. I also didn't try using the ATHH tarp on the diagonal, with the uneven opposing wings.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eugeneius View Post
    I hope you aren't reaching, I've got something like that in the works. Think of a Granite Gear dodger split down the middle, to make a couple of doors (and to let the hammock line out).

I wasn't sure whether the design of putting the dodger on top of the tarp would work, but since GG is selling them, I reckon it must!

Grizz

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I dont think my ATHH is that wide...Seems I remember measuring mine to 5'. I have the V1 did they change the size when they changed to V2?
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Yes, FishFinn, to answer your question, I would be carrying 3 pieces, the dodgers, and the tarp, not really very beneficial in terms of weight and ease of setup, however it could work for this trip only, that is my idea. But, like Grizz said , this could be an area for improvement, instead of having one large tarp that has tons of coverage, which you don't always need, you could have attatchments for those times when you do on a moderate sized tarp. I think I might work on some ideas and cut up some nylon over the next couple weeks and explore this idea, you would need some door or slit in the dodger for the suspension line I would think. Grizz has that Alpine Butterfly setup he worked on, that has all the alpine knots which are perfect locations for attatching the peak end of a dodger, but again the question is, how will that affect tension?
    [....] Our remnants of wilderness will yield bigger values to the nation's character and health than they will to its pocketbook, and to destroy them will be to admit that the latter are the only values that interest us.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12