Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Mission Turtle Lady stand accomplished!

So thanks to the help of several forums members and a special thanks to turtle lady for the original I completed my very own stand today! The lashing which I shied away from at first turned out to be supremely simple and relaxing to do. I used 3/4" emt conduit for the uprights and the top rail is from a chainlink fence. I forgot to grab anything for spread limiters so I just grabbed a few bits of whatever and lashed them on. I used some diamond braided polyester rope for the lashings. I polished it off with some long continuous loops of 7/64" amsteel. I highly recommend giving it a go if you've thought about making a stand. Total cost= $45 including cordage and sales tax
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kallorne; 03-18-2012 at 22:34.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Pictures or it didn't happen!
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    ask and you shall receive! phone was acting up with the uploader

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    the changes I think I'll make: I'll probably shorten it a bit so i can reach the top and then use the cut offs to make some matching spreaders. other than that I'm totally happy with the way it turned out.

Went from never having lashed something before to having this together in about an hour. It was so much simpler than in my mind. Thanks again for the how-to links and conduit suggestion!

Hammock
    DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY tarp 2x3m
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Very nice indeed, was thinking about it for some time, then winter came, and it for forgotten. Now you have awoken this idea again, I guess I have a plan now for upcoming weekend :-)
    Thanks !

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    It's the first one I've noticed tied to one of the uprights on each end as opposed to tied to the spreader (horizontal) member. That puts a lot of force on those uprights, so be careful. I noticed on one end, you tied the two short horizontal supports right at the hammock attachment point, which would help somewhat. But on the other end, not so close. Depending on the strength of your uprights, that is where you could have a failure. (I just saw a photo of a hammock that pulled an entire live tree down, so there is a lot of horizontal force.)

The spreader (so-called) just looked as if it were hung lose down some distance from the lashing point. Not sure how it keeps them spread.

All it all, it gives me inspiration to get my curing bamboo out of the garage in this nice weather, and see what I can do!

Thanks for sharing!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    I forgot to grab anything for spread limiters so I just grabbed a few bits of whatever and lashed them on.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klemheist_knot

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    It's the first one I've noticed tied to one of the uprights on each end as opposed to tied to the spreader (horizontal) member. That puts a lot of force on those uprights, so be careful. I noticed on one end, you tied the two short horizontal supports right at the hammock attachment point, which would help somewhat. But on the other end, not so close. Depending on the strength of your uprights, that is where you could have a failure. (I just saw a photo of a hammock that pulled an entire live tree down, so there is a lot of horizontal force.)

The spreader (so-called) just looked as if it were hung lose down some distance from the lashing point. Not sure how it keeps them spread.

All it all, it gives me inspiration to get my curing bamboo out of the garage in this nice weather, and see what I can do!

Thanks for sharing!

Rain Man

I'm afraid I don't follow you, the hammock is attached to the horizontal top rail, thereby transferring the load straight down in the center of each tripod. the only reason for the stake in the ground is to keep the tarp from pulling the tripods toward each other. and the rigid spreaders are also to accommodate a tarp ridgeline longer than the horizontal pole.

• + New Posts