Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE Revolt 30·
    Suspension
    Myerstech Becket

IX TQ Footbox Help

Hey all,

In the process of completing an IX TQ for warmer weather. I know some of you have done the same. I've used the SIN50 template and cut the IX so I will have the differential cut, but any suggestions on how to finish the footbox off? As it is right now, it weighs about 6.7 ozs. Will def be under 10 when I'm finished.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I'd prob just stitch in a drawstring channel with some scrap nylon. This will allow for easy venting as needed. But, will effectively shorten the quilt the more you draw it closed.

Alternatively, you could cut a round piece of IX and stich it around the footbox to close it off. Don't forget seam allowances. You might also consider building in a vent system on this pannel. Some velcro, no-see-um, & a scrap of IX should work.

I think the drawcord method will be lighter, if you cut it long enough. Probably need a 78" total length for a 6' person with the drawcord closed up tight.

Is this just a single layer of IX, or are you linning it with something?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    I'd prob just stitch in a drawstring channel with some scrap nylon. This will allow for easy venting as needed. But, will effectively shorten the quilt the more you draw it closed.
    This is exactly what I did. It works fine and is simple.

Mine is double layer IX with 1/2" tall pleats every few inches to separate the layers.

When low temp drops below 60 degrees, this quilt is NOT warm enough!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    When low temp drops below 60 degrees, this quilt is NOT warm enough!
    That's why I asked how it was being constructed. There has been discussion before about IX as TQ. It really, REALLY, needs that consistent air gap. Whish is hard to maintain in a TQ; gravity is working against you. There needs to be somthing between the layers to keep them from touching. I've read about everyrhing from Chiffon to Primaloft being suggested. IDK, if anyone has really hammered out a solid build technique though.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I made a single layer IX TQ. I used some omni-tape and a drawstring for the footbox that allows it be opened or closed as needed. It is nice and light, is warm enough to mid-50's, but does leave me feeling rather clammy sometimes.

Here is a video that where I show the TQ along with some of my other sleep stuff:

Here is one from a hiking trip that I took where I also talked about the details of the TQ:

Hope that helps!

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    Happy-Medium UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    EE Revolt 30·
    Suspension
    Myerstech Becket
    It's a 2 layer TQ. I had really considered using the pleats, but I think the 2" differential cut should work. I have a 35* WM bag for below 50* so I'm not worried about that. I'm a gram weenie so the weight cut for the summer was important to me.

That being said, I think I will try the.omni tape and cinch route. Any pointers on that? I've never made a footbox before.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    For an under quilt, the differential width will keep the layers separate because gravity is working with you, as was mentioned earlier.

However, in a top quilt, pleats or something else to hold the layers apart, are absolutely necessary. Without pleats, I think you will be wasting the weight of that 2nd layer.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I'd recommend using the pleats/darts (it will wrap around you and be snuggley if you do) & add an oversized layer of chiffon between the IX layers. Chiffon weights like 0.3oz/yd^2 so it shouldn't add more than 1.5oz to your final weight. However, with the wrinkles it creates between the IX layers you should get a small but sufficient air gap to prevent conductive heat loss from the layers touching one another.

Disclaimer: I've never used this method. I've read about it and the science is sound. However, I'm personally not 100% sure chiffon will work, and probably won't without pleating & differentially cutting the IX.

As for the omni-taped footbox. I got a love/hate relationship with omni-tape. It's great that it sticks to itself, but it also sticks to everything else. Anyway, I'd have someone measure up the back of your legs to the crease of your knee and make the tape section that length. This should ensure that your feet don't slide out of the footbox.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    I'd recommend using the pleats/darts (it will wrap around you and be snuggley if you do) & add an oversized layer of chiffon between the IX layers. Chiffon weights like 0.3oz/yd^2 so it shouldn't add more than 1.5oz to your final weight. However, with the wrinkles it creates between the IX layers you should get a small but sufficient air gap to prevent conductive heat loss from the layers touching one another.

Disclaimer: I've never used this method. I've read about it and the science is sound. However, I'm personally not 100% sure chiffon will work, and probably won't without pleating & differentially cutting the IX.
    I haven't tried it yet either, but this is consistent with what I was thinking when I made my last IX TQ a year or so ago. I've got some stuff that looks like a very light version of the mesh that you make outer pack backpack pockets with... hexagonal shaped holes that are slightly too large to be used as bug netting. I may try that between layers on my next one. Should be very minimal weight, but allow a consistent air gap. Conceptually, I just can't see how pleating does much more than create a narrow air gap immediately adjacent to the pleat... while gravity makes the layers touch on the rest of the span. Unless the pleats are about 3/4" or less apart, then I don't think they have much chance of maintaining the desired air gap between IX layers.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

• + New Posts