HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    This is now the third hammock with the inset bars I've seen floating about. For as much as it got wrong, it looks like the chrysalis must have got something right!

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    The minimum length is about the same as my other bridges. The center section is 64" where my normal bridge is 78". The triangles are longer with the sides at 36". The other bridges I generally used a 30" header triangle and a 20" footer since the spreader bar was shorter (28" bar).

I went with the triangles lengths the same as the spreader bar because I wanted to try my hiking poles as bars and it minimizes the force on the bar. Also it simplifies getting the section my feet lay in flat/correct. The longer triangles greatly improved stability, which was a great bonus.

I can hang in my basement and the walls are 13 feet apart, but I am using only 1 whoopie sling.

In regards to the chrysalis, think they engineered an amazing hammock. I have never seen one in person just online, but it was built like a tank to handle about anyone. One online reviewer didn't do the hammock justice. He looked like a moron hanging in it backwards and some how he got it swinging wildly.

I still believe the stepped/scalloped sides they use has to add better lumbar support. I my try it one of these days.

I'll add that I am 68" tall and probably about 175lbs (170-180lbs). The 78" laying space is longer than I need but I like it. I also think I am at the top of the weight range for the material. I really believe it is 1.1oz, not 1.6oz. I would use 1.9oz if I did it again. It would add a little bit of weight, but piece of mind is worth the extra weight. My fear is that I'll be adjusting my position in the hammock and my foot will start a rip dumping me on the ground.
    Ed

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merganser View Post
    What is the minimum tree spread with a design like this?
    With Bridge hammocks I have to go farther than the standard 12ft. This is with whoopie slings. I find 15ft to be a good working distance. I may end up changing my whoopies to a continuous loop and do my adjustments with my dutch buckles? Always experimenting.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

egrant, I like your setup here. My question is how did you attach the corners, like, where the fabric meets the ?webbing? that is then attached to the ring? It looks like the edge of the nylon has been enforced with webbing then the webbing just extends from the nylon as the same piece. Please explain! thanks!

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    My hammock is basically one piece with added end caps. It has that brown strip at one end because I screwed up and cut the material too short.

The side webbing is folded over 3 times just like in Grizz's videos for the entire length of the hammock. I leave 1/2" at the ends to attach the end caps.

Where the spreader bars attach, there isn't any rings or anything. I simply take a 4 or 5" strip of the webbing and see it down so that the spreader bar tip just fits in.

I overlap the ends of the two strips of webbing that forms the sides to form the triangles and sew them so there is an opening for the whoopie sling to fit in.

My next version I plan to run the single piece of fabric all the way to the ends of the triangles minus 4" or so. I'll also shorten the area between the spreader bars 12-14". When I get around to making this next hammock, I'll post better pictures and a diagram.

The geometry of getting the ends flat for your legs is hard to explain but surprisingly simple to do. A diagram can easily explain it. Perhaps when I get back from vacation I'll get busy.

My next hammock will be the simplest, lightest and best bridge I have made and the simplest to sew. Truthfully, I have about given up on hammocks because I am too much of a stomach sleeper. These latest versions are much much more comfortable than my copy of Grizz's bridge from a shoulder standpoint. For where I hike and camp in the White mountains, it just hard to beat my Lunar Solo for lightweight compactness.
    Cheers,
    Ed
    Ed

Are there any good plans on how to make one of these? I'd like to make me a light bridge.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by abwillingham View Post
    Are there any good plans on how to make one of these? I'd like to make me a light bridge.
    Plan, not really just a few measurements really. Make an hourglass shape 8" to 12" taller than you. The rest is all experimental. There are a bunch of threads on bridge hammocks now but check out GrizzlyAdams videos on the Rhino Bridge. It the how to I followed in making my first couple.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I just finished my newest DIY bridge. It was inspired by the Chrysalis and is similar to my last bridge, but I took it to the next level.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348002643.969802.jpg

It is a dual layer hammock made from 1.1 ripstop. The triangles lengths are 36" in front and 30" in the back, both are designed to not be wasted space. My legs from just below the knee are in the front triangle and the head triangle is storage space. I also added 2 side bags similar to the WBRR.

Spreader bars are both 36".
    The distance between the bars is 48" and the cat curve cut is 7.5",
    Header ratio = 1.15
    Footer ratio = 1.33

The hammock weighs in at 14 oz. (not bad for a dual layer with bug net). Before I attached the bug net it weighed 9 oz. The spreader bars are the real killer at 9.9oz.

Another nice aspect is that while hanging it is only 9ft triangle tip to triangle tip.

Overall I really like this hammock. It lays flatter than any hammock I have been in It's wide enough to cross my legs or curl up on my side. Best of all, with the spreader bars so close together and the depth of the cat cut, and the flat lay I can lay on my stomach no problem.

My sewing on this hammock was not my best, but it will work. The hammock itself was easy, but the bug net was a pain in the neck to get on the hammock. I already know I would do the net differently if I were to do it again.

It has been pouring rain all day or I would post more pics.
    Ed

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    I really like the looks of this, I've been suffering from sciatica(not from my hammock), and have been studying bridge plans from 2-3 members here. Thanks to you members for figuring out the math, and letting the rest of us know.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I suffered from what I call "butt squeeze" in my previous designs. Like shoulder squeeze I didn't notice it at first but after hours in the hammock the top of my cyclist glutes hurt. I had basically decided to give up on hammocks because I am a stomach sleeper and the butt squeeze was killing me. The deeper cat and the 36" spreader bars resolved the butt squeeze and I can realistically sleep on my stomach in this hammock.
    Ed

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast