So I finished putting my version together. Not sure how well it turned out; take a look and see what you think.
The biggest problem I found is one that is hardly unique to me, I imagine - the hammock is slipping down at the peaks of the suspension triangles.
Best guess on how to fix it (for me, at least) is to try Grizz's method of sewing through the amsteel at the tops -- the material is too thick to attach the webbing a la tammons; my sewing machine was barely able to get through the two layers.
I did give it a try tonight; aside from a few threads at the tops of the suspension triangles popping as it slipped down, it seemed to hold OK. The cutouts where the amsteel dogbones join together to hold the spreader bars seem to be OK. I will probably sew through the amsteel there as well just for peace of mind.
I have a couple other pics, showing some crummy details of how the hammock is put together (sorry, had to take the pictures in the dark with my cell phone).
There seems to be a calf ridge, oddly enough - a raised area under the foot end spreader bar. I haven't played with the suspension at all; hopefully I'll be able to reduce / get rid of that. On the plus side, my dynaglide UCRs held me up, even when I bounced.