WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks

Going Dutchware!

I am trying to settle on my suspension setup. I am trying do it the Dutch Way.

For the hammock:
    Tree > Hugger > whoopie sling > dutch hook > Amsteel loop > WBBB

For the Tarp (continuous ridgeline):
    Tree > Zing-it > Dutch Flyz > Zing-it with triple prusik loop with dutch hook > tarp

Tarp (tie outs)
    Zing-it to V-stakes.

From his website:
    Whoopie Hooks w/ Suspension + Amsteel $39
    Tarp Flyz on Zing-it $24
    25' Zing-it 1.75mm yellow $5.50
    Dutch Hooks x2 $5

Any and all advice gratefully accepted.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Hi UM1887,

All sounds good but I don't think you need the Dutch hook and continuous loop at the WBBB end. If you unthread the RL from the stock continuous loop that comes with the webbing suspension, then just tie the fixed loop end of the whoopie to the hammock with a larks head the same as the original loop. Thread the RL back over the newly fixed whoopie and repeat at the other end. I have mine set up like this with no problems at all (other than that mentioned in post #4).

I hope this makes sense.

Atb

Mark
    Last edited by Roe Ring; 03-19-2012 at 16:04. Reason: Corrected OP's name

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I can help.
    The hammock suspension is exactly what I use.

Tarp suspension is not quite right though.
    The spliced flyz for $24 is a complete set up. That again is what I use. I prefer this tom continuous ridge line because the flyz are easy to adjust and there is less stuff to get twisted.

However if the Crl is what you want...

To make a continuous ridge line, you want just one Flyz, a hook, 2.2 zing it 25 feet, grey lash it, a couple feet for prussics. (contact me and I can offer these exact items.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Hi Dutch,

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but do you use whoopie - whoopie hook - continuous loop - Hammock as your suspension?

Can I ask how this helps over just fixing the whoopie direct to the hammock. Having experienced the great things that dutchwear can do, I don't doubt it is a better method.

The only problem I find with the direct fix to the hammock is that the whoopie seems to be upside down, so that when it is adjusted, it has to be pulled around the knot on the MS Hitch which can sometimes dislodge it. If the whoopie was connected as per the OP, could it be attached the other way around so the the adjustment runs through the whoopie hook at the continuous loop, with the fixed end over the MSH?

Again, I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Mark

Edit: OK, just checked out Dutch's website and figured out the whole whoopie hook thing. Please forget everything I have said above. OP - go with the suspension you've described, it all
    makes perfect sense. Wish I had figured it out earlier though as I have an order in transit from Dutch and I would have added a couple of hooks. Guess I'll just have to place another order real soon!

Sorry for the hi-jack and subsequent confusion. I learnt something even if no one else did
    Last edited by Roe Ring; 03-19-2012 at 16:39.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    On my WBBB, I have the webbing suspension. I was just going to remove it and install the Dutch suspension. That way I have both suspension sets. Don't know when I would switch back to the webbing, but it could come in handy for experimenting with a future undetermined project (this is how pack rats get started).

Dutch, I thought the continuous ridgeline (CRL)would better support the tarp (keep it from sagging), but I am not opposed to trying it the dutch way. I was also thinking it would be easier to adjust the position of the tarp between the trees with the CRL.

So with the Flyz on either end, no continuous ridge line, I would tie off to one tree, pull the tarp out of a bishop bag, then tie to the other tree. Adjust as necessary? Am I getting that right? Do you have a video of how to adjust that (get it centered over the hammock)?

I don't have a tarp yet, but I want to have the suspension to use when I do get one. I am looking at either going with a HG or Zpacks Cuben Hex. Not sure about the doors yet. It will be for three season use along the AT (and adjacent areas) in GA and NH primarily, the two areas I stomp around most.

I am a noobie to this hammock thing. So all input is appreciated!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have found that the addition of Dutch Clips on the tree strap is a major convenience factor.

An argument for having a continuous loop larks headed to the hammock end is that your suspension which hooks onto this loop can be easily removed for packing separately. A handy option if the suspension is rain soaked or worse, sap soaked. If you own more than one hammock (who doesn't) you can have just one suspension and swap it among your many hammocks
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I love the idea of the continuous loop anchored to the hammock with the Dutch Hooks on the whoppie slings so they can be separated from the hammock easily for separate packing if wet or covered in sap.
    Last edited by UrsaMajor1887; 03-19-2012 at 18:06. Reason: Typo

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Playing with the whoopie hooks this weekend. It was very easy to take down and setup my hammocks. I installed chains on my hammocks a long time ago and was looking for this solution.

Tip: The chains I have have a skinny portion and a fatter portion. I found that once I adjusted them so that the skinny portion was near the clip it was even easier to clip the hammock on and off the whoopie.

BTW- After clipping in, there is enough room on top of the hook to also clip in shock cord. With the Switchback, I found that I can clip the shock cord ends that hold the netting up to the clips very easily.

I also got a couple of quilt hooks and sewn them into my WBBB. Very nice. One of the things I like is when the hammock is unweighted and the underquilt is holding the hammock up, the quilt hooks makes it easy to find the edge of the hammock (as opposed to the netting or the wrong side) when getting into the hammock. I find it is little things like this that matter when I am really tired and brain dead. I will definitely get 4 for the Switchback which needs the quilt hooks more than the WBBB.

I also tried out the plastic quilt hook on the top that acts like trianglethingies. I have HammockGear Underquilt with a shock cord that can tighten the edges up, so it really didn't do anything for me in terms of closing the space at the end. However, it makes the head side of the underquilt hold onto the gathered end much better as I was putting it on. That is, with the plastic clip clipping the two pieces of shock cord, the head end won't slip out of the gathered end as the cord gets stretched to loop over the foot end knot. Again, just one of those really nice things.

Thanks Dutch!!
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    SnoreMachine,

Thanks for the insight. I am also thinking of UQ hooks, but I think I will wait till after I have the UQ to see how it is first.

Great to know the whoppie hooks worked so well for you. I am just about settled on my tarp set-up and will be placing an order.

Happy Hanging

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    On my WBBB, I have the webbing suspension. I was just going to remove it and install the Dutch suspension. That way I have both suspension sets. Don't know when I would switch back to the webbing, but it could come in handy for experimenting with a future undetermined project (this is how pack rats get started).

Dutch, I thought the continuous ridgeline (CRL)would better support the tarp (keep it from sagging), but I am not opposed to trying it the dutch way. I was also thinking it would be easier to adjust the position of the tarp between the trees with the CRL.

So with the Flyz on either end, no continuous ridge line, I would tie off to one tree, pull the tarp out of a bishop bag, then tie to the other tree. Adjust as necessary? Am I getting that right? Do you have a video of how to adjust that (get it centered over the hammock)?

I don't have a tarp yet, but I want to have the suspension to use when I do get one. I am looking at either going with a HG or Zpacks Cuben Hex. Not sure about the doors yet. It will be for three season use along the AT (and adjacent areas) in GA and NH primarily, the two areas I stomp around most.

I am a noobie to this hammock thing. So all input is appreciated!
    I think with tarp flyz it is real easy to undo and redo each side it adjust it. You will be able to get it plenty tight. What I don't like about the CRL is there is a lot of line with connection points to get tangled and twisted. With 2 flyz and 2 lines you pull bundle each line up separately so nothing gets tangled. If you want a CRL then contact me so I can send you exactly those components or you can get a flyz and a hook spliced on from whoopie slings.com.
    Also for your guide outs choose a different color than the ridge line so the ridge line is easy to see inthe dark.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast