WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    That's all very interesting, but outside of consideration here. If a seller and a buyer negotiate a deal via PM, fine, any item need not be listed. But, if an item is listed in the FS forum, the sale needs to follow the posted rules.

The sale originating in another thread was off-topic for that thread.

Unless the offer is withdrawn, dammfast has first claim here.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That's all very interesting, but outside of consideration here. If a seller and a buyer negotiate a deal via PM, fine, any item need not be listed. But, if an item is listed in the FS forum, the sale needs to follow the posted rules.

The sale originating in another thread was off-topic for that thread.

Unless the offer is withdrawn, dammfast has first claim here.
    Even if the item is already sold based on PMs? If a buyer agrees to my offer as I'm posting the FS thread, the item goes to the first person that posts in the FS thread regardless?

I guess what I'm saying is, if I am ever working with someone to buy something that I feel they might list in the FS thread, I should have another tab open hitting the F5 button in case the seller decides to post a FS post before he hits refresh and reads my PM? Because I think that's an unreasonable expectation.

I can completely understand if I posted "dibs" in the other thread and didn't have any other communication/deal with the buyer, I would have no claim. However, I accepted the offer, was done trading PMs with the buyer, and then hit refresh on the FS forum because I was going back to reading the phone after the transaction...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yes.

If an item was 'sold via PM', it should not have been listed. That would be between the buyer and seller only. But since it was listed, it needs to follow the rules.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    In fairness to others... I would think it would be unreasonable to post something for sale and complete the sale to the person who responded second. If you have a deal in works via PM, don't post the item in the For Sale section until you have determined that deal is dead.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Yes.

If an item was 'sold via PM', it should not have been listed. That would be between the buyer and seller only. But since it was listed, it needs to follow the rules.
    Agreements originating outside of a FS thread, started before a FS thread was posted, and before dibs were posted in a FS thread by definition precede the FS thread and therefore should not be subject to the FS forum rules. There is nothing in the FS forum rules about agreements originating outside and before the FS thread, and nothing that states posting a FS thread for an item nullifies any previous arrangements. I understand the rules as they are being quoted and applied, but I believe they are incorrectly applied in this instance.

An offer was extended to me in private negotiation and I accepted the offer before a different offer was tendered and accepted via a different medium.
    Last edited by Corncob; 03-19-2012 at 22:57.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    No offense, Corncob, but you're trying to argue a moot technicality.

The For Sale forum doesn't make any provision for PM sales. Once an item is listed, if a claim isn't made in-thread, it isn't valid. That's so there is transparency for everyone involved.

The seller here could have accepted your PM offer without ever listing it here. He didn't. And because of that, we're simply following the rules that have been listed. Those rules require a post to claim.

I'm told by the seller that he has been in contact with dammfast. If something falls through with that sale, you are second in line.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    No offense, Corncob, but you're trying to argue a moot technicality.

The For Sale forum doesn't make any provision for PM sales. Once an item is listed, if a claim isn't made in-thread, it isn't valid. That's so there is transparency for everyone involved.

The seller here could have accepted your PM offer without ever listing it here. He didn't. And because of that, we're simply following the rules that have been listed. Those rules require a post to claim.

I'm told by the seller that he has been in contact with dammfast. If something falls through with that sale, you are second in line.
    So I'm supposed to frantically refresh the FS forum in case it gets double posted? That is absolutely ridiculous. You're putting the onus on the buyer that responded first before a FS post was made. The buyer contacted me again via PM after I posted in the FS thread, confirmed that I was first, confirmed that I had PayPal, and we discussed further shipping arrangements.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The onus was on the seller. He chose to list it here.

It is my understanding that dammfast chose to purchase only one of the two tarps, and you have second dibs on the other. That seems like an equitable outcome for all involved.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12