Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY List

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    DIY Ring Buckle

DIY List

I'm very new to hammocking but I want to dive right into the DIY aspect of it. I guess that's the type of person I am. Anyways, by lurking I have found most of the materials and methods I would like to use (cinch buckle, polypropylene webbing, paracord) and have a general idea of how to mod my Eno Doublenest. This is what I have so far on my shopping list:

• onrope1.com 1" cinch buckle (x2)

• Strapworks.com 1" polypro webbing

• Paracord

So I have 2 questions: Any recommendation on what kind and size of paracord? I know there are tons of options, but remember I'm a newbie so any suggestion is a good one. Second, is there anything I am missing or may need?

Sorry if this is the wrong spot to post or anything, the mods on here seem to be pretty tolerant to new guys....
    I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work...
    I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."
    And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.
    -From the Auburn Creed, by George Petrie, 1945

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    I would look at whoopie slings that are made out of amsteel. Paracord is known to stretch.

You can look at dutch's website also at the new clips for whoopie slings.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I'd drop the cinch buckle and the paracord and go with whoopie slings. Paracord really isn't recommended as part of your suspension.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    I would look at whoopie slings that are made out of amsteel. Paracord is known to stretch.
    Must have been typing at the same time

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    +1 on the amsteel. The 7/64ths are lighter and almost 3 times stronger than 550.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Must have been typing at the same time
    Same here. that was weird
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    +1 on ditching the paracord. I like paracord for a lot of uses; it's relatively light, cheap, and readily available. What it isn't is life-rated or non-stretch. You want something in the 8x to 10x your weight category for break strength, that does not stretch. Amsteel is good for that (in the 7/64" and 1/8" diameters).

Also, I'd go with polyester webbing rather than polypropolene. Polyester won't stretch much, if at all, while polypro will stretch a lot on the first use and some on each use after that.

The cinch buckles will work fine if you want to go that way, but both Warbonnet and Arrowhead Equipment sell cinch buckle all-in-one suspension set-ups. The only thing that they need are climbing-rated carabiners or Dutch Clips to clip the webbing around the trees. Plus, you'd be supporting a cottage industry manufacturer that is an active member of this community in either case.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    DIY Ring Buckle
    Thanks for all the input. Whoopie slings sound great, but for now I think I'm going to stick the the cinch buckle. I've got good carabiners, so I'm good there. I was under the impression that paracord was pretty durable, but I'll go with the amsteel cord, it sounds like.

I like those kits, FLRider, but the Warbonnet one is $20 and the Arrowhead one is $35 and they seem identical. Any difference?
    I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work...
    I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."
    And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjo_Bro View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Whoopie slings sound great, but for now I think I'm going to stick the the cinch buckle. I've got good carabiners, so I'm good there. I was under the impression that paracord was pretty durable, but I'll go with the amsteel cord, it sounds like.

I like those kits, FLRider, but the Warbonnet one is $20 and the Arrowhead one is $35 and they seem identical. Any difference?
    Not sure, but weight and volume of sale would probably be my guess. Warbonnet offers the cinch buckles as a stock option on all of their hammocks, so they sell (what I'd assume are) a lot more of them than Arrowhead. Also, Arrowhead claims that theirs are "the lightest cinch buckles specifically designed for hammock suspensions", which means (I think) that theirs are lighter than the Warbonnet ones.

Note that I don't own either of them, so this is just going from the webpages and inference. However, I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. I've seen both in use, though not closely, and they look as easy as possible to use.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    DIY Ring Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Not sure, but weight and volume of sale would probably be my guess. Warbonnet offers the cinch buckles as a stock option on all of their hammocks, so they sell (what I'd assume are) a lot more of them than Arrowhead. Also, Arrowhead claims that theirs are "the lightest cinch buckles specifically designed for hammock suspensions", which means (I think) that theirs are lighter than the Warbonnet ones.

Note that I don't own either of them, so this is just going from the webpages and inference. However, I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. I've seen both in use, though not closely, and they look as easy as possible to use.
    Thanks, I'm really just looking for a very simple way to make my hammock more adjustable and I seem most familiar with devices like a cinch buckle to get started. Appreciate all the help. I'll post some pics when I get everything set up. I'm sure I'll probably have to ask even more questions in the process of setting it up!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast