Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cwford View Post
    I would make a 2 layer insultex under quilt. Then instead of adding the channels to hang it, I would sew it directly to the bottom layer of your hammock. Then make a regular double layer hammock.

When making the insultex quilt, the top layer (the one next to the hammock) would be flat. The bottom insultex layer would need to be pleated to create space to trap the warm air.

The problem that I think you'll run into is that the insultex won't stretch when you lay in the hammock. So I would make a single layer hammock and an insultex quilt. Then while laying in the hammock have someone pin the quilt to the correct place. Then you can sew the quilt to the hammock and then turn the single layer hammock into a double layer hammock.
    Thanks - yes, I think that's what I'll do. Hopefully this weekend...

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have a diy insultex uq and there is no way in hell I would want it permenantly attached. It would be sticky in hot weather, etc. Follow Scott's directions on DIY gear supply and make it two layers rather than three, but you want the ability to attach and detatch for sure. IX is kinda quirky. I use it as a supplement, but it can be clammy. I had a TQ made with it and converted it to an UQ cause of the ability to retain moisture. On above 65 degree nights, I would overheat with it attached for sure.

I use it as a supplement to my down when it is below 25 degrees with my down on the outside of the IX. Keeps down dry and fluffly. 40-65 use IX alone.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12