Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    You can always take your sewing machine to a quilting shop or a repair shop for them to look at it and maybe also give you some pointers. There might be a small charge, depending on the shop, but it would be worth it for the piece of mind.

Hammock
    Hennesey Hyperlite side zip
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat
    Insulation
    DIY undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When starting a new stich series you need to not only place pressure foot over bobin and needle thread. You have to physicaly hold the thread tight to machine table with your hand for a couple stiches. After that there is no need to hold thread down. This is neccasary to start the stich.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cwford View Post
    Try opening the white colored door on the left of the machine. On my older Singer there is a numbered adjustment dial in there. This dial adjusts the height of the feed dogs. I had to adjust mine up about 1 or 2 settings when sewing lightweight nylon.
    I think the lever to the right of the machine controls the feed dogs on the OP's machine. The feed dogs would affect the quality of the stitch but they would not keep the stitch from forming. In fact one of the reasons for being able to lower the feed dogs is to be able to freely slide the fabric around to simulate the process of darning. I don't know how well it works, but that's the theory. Something is interfering with the formation of the stitch. That's a different matter.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KAW View Post
    When starting a new stich series you need to not only place pressure foot over bobin and needle thread. You have to physicaly hold the thread tight to machine table with your hand for a couple stiches. After that there is no need to hold thread down. This is neccasary to start the stich.

actully that is true only if you don't have a decent tail on the threads. I often begin without holding the tails. The OP had plenty of length there.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    I bet that's really frustrating. For a problem like this one there are so many possible causes. From watching the video it looks threaded correctly and since you have new needles in it I'd count those out as well. A simple way to check if your Presser foot pressure or needle plate isn't correct is to put a piece of paper under your fabric. Basically all fabric deflects downward when the needle goes through. If your Presser foot pressure isn't high enough or if your needle plate hole is too big (this takes a pretty finicky machine to be a problem) the fabric gets pushed down close enough to the hook that the gap made by the thread behind the needle isn't big enough for the hook to catch. Simple soution is to run a piece of paper through under fabric. This isn't a long term fix as paper will dull up your needle really quick. If it fixes the issue try adjusting your presser foot pressure. If that doesn't work for you it may be your hook has worn down and needs to be adjusted/replaced. I wouldn't recommend trying to adjust the hook yourself, that would be best left to a repair tech.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pag View Post
    Basically all fabric deflects downward when the needle goes through. If your Presser foot pressure isn't high enough or if your needle plate hole is too big (this takes a pretty finicky machine to be a problem) the fabric gets pushed down close enough to the hook that the gap made by the thread behind the needle isn't big enough for the hook to catch.
    Excellent suggestion. That most certainly could contribute to the problem. Indeed it may be more that one issue that plays itself out.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY tarp 2x3m
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Thanks everybody for your inputs, it is really appreciated !
    I went though all of them, except bring the machine to some shop.
    That will be my last option..
    Still no success though

Needles
    I checked the new needles that I bought, and they are actually really sharp, so I decided to stich with them.

Foot pressure
    Only way I was able to find it to unscrew it a bit, but the foot higher or lower, and then screw it tight again.

Threading of the whole machine + bobbin
    Please check the new video, I'm showing in detail how that is done.
    If you find something wrong, please let me know

Needle installation
    To be sure, I took it apart, and re-installed the holder and the needle itself.
    Check the video on how that was done

What changed after the old lady helped me threading the bobbin correctly ?
    Well nothing, it was going perfectly thanks to her help, just not with thin materials.. :-(

White colored door on the left
    Opened it, and can not find anything that could help with adjustment.
    But please check the new video, maybe you will see something that I missed ?

Holding the thread
    Done that, no change in result though, see video.

Level of the feed dogs
    That's the rounded button, it has different settings, from nothing to big feeding.
    I tried from nothing to half way of the maximum.

Frustrating
    YEAH ! :-)

Paper under the fabric
    Tried it, no result though, see video.
    Maybe I did it wrong ? But the holes in the paper are very fine, and very even.

Last but not least, I also replaced the foot, and the plate around the feeding dogs, with both smaller holes for the needle to go through.
    I thought it might help the fabric staying in place, as the original hole was quite big and the fabric moved a bit with the needle up and down.
    Replacement was fine, very simple even, but still no sucess...

Please watch the new video, and tell me what I am doing wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWlEl7yDqVc

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Tuliku

With the foot lowered to the feed dogs, is there tension on the needle thread when pulling it through the needle? And does it pull on the "U" shaped spring on the tension device? Does the tension decrease when the foot is raised?

If yes to both the upper should be threaded correctly. It appears that the thread, loops loose in the last video at the needle, the spring on the tension device that holds tension as the needle lifts should move as you sew. Many threading diagrams here http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...g_Diagrams.htm but can't see one for your exact machine. If you look at enough diagrams there will be some close and very clearly show the thread paths around the different items.

On the lower bobbin, check that the bobbin is inserted correctly, refer to the website above or if you have the manual. The thread does not usually come off the bobbin and flow into the slot, usually it comes off the bobbin and back folds through the slot. Not sure about sending the thread through an additional "hole" on the bobbin case after it comes out from under the flat spring. Does the thread "pick up" from the lower if it is left just hanging or do you put it up through the feed plate?

I suspect the hook is to far from the needle (if it is threaded correctly). look at your needle, there should be a scarf (cutout) above the eye, with the bobbin removed and the machine out of the table look as you rotate the wheel by hand, the bobbin hook should pass the needle as the needle goes up, just above the eye, and be as close to the needle as possible without touching, about 1 paper thickness. If the timing is off it may be more than you want to deal with. I have done it a lot and there is room for error if you want to try. At this point you can't hurt it.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I watched the new video, and the only thing I wondered about was your description of the path of the bobbin thread ("through a hole"?) as it came out of the bobbin case after passing under the tension spring. Did you mean the small notch near the end of the spring? I'd guess probably so, in which case it looks fine.

Then I went back to your first video. I wanted to see a good side shot of sewing with the fabric stretched so it worked. Your video is nice and clear. I figured that if the needle were bent slightly back or forward by stretching the fabric it might show. If you start sewing at a corner, as you have demonstrated, and keep going until enough fabric has passed under the foot that you can pull it tight, does it then set stitches properly? Can you show this in a video from the side? Also, do you have some white thread that will show up against the dark fabric?
    Last edited by WV; 03-21-2012 at 09:10.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Thanks for the new vid. I would suggest you look carefully at your threading of the bobbin. Assuming the thread comes off the bobbin properly you bring the thread back and slip it through the slot in the bobbin case. That is correct. Do you then bring the thread under that leaf spring? It should snap in under the spring so it is held in place. I can't see in the vid that well.

Do not put the bobbin thread through any other holes after it comes out from under the leaf spring. That will mis-align the thread with the hook and prevent a stitch from forming. Make sure the bobbin casing is inserted into the machine correctly. If the bobbin goes in vertically then it needs to snap in securely Open the little lever on the bobbin case and slide the case in place holding the lever. Release the lever and make sure it lines up properly. The lever tab should fit into an indent in the race and the whole thing should sit securely.

In so far as the spool threading is concerned, you do not just slip the thread through the tension plates. There is a wound spring in there that you need to catch as well. That will not help with your immediate problem but you will notice it when you finally get the stitches to form and the quality of stitch is not good.

It looks to me like your immediate problem is related to the bobbin threading though.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast