DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY tarp 2x3m
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY

Help needed with sewing 100% polyester + small peak in my man cave

The 100% polyester will only "accept" thread when I pull the material tight while sewing.
    But at the beginning and at the end this is a problem, cause once the end disappears under the foot, I can't pull it tight anymore.
    I tried all the settings on the machine, without luck though..
    Do you know how to do this ? Please let me know..

Here a short video to that might help with explaining...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNU7ofUeMQ

Thank you very much in advance for taking the time to check this !

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Try a new needle. Also try one of a different size. I think needles should be "sharp", not "ball point" or "universal." Others with more knowledge about sewing machines may have better ideas.

However, as a possible solution without changing the way your machine is running, you could try using a hand needle and some heavy thread to attach a loop to the corner so you could pull on the fabric to stretch it right up to the edge.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Wondering if the pressure is enough on the foot. Does your machine have a way you can tighten or loosen the pressure (downward) on the foot ?

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    Wondering if the pressure is enough on the foot. Does your machine have a way you can tighten or loosen the pressure (downward) on the foot ?
    +1 on the pressure. As far as starting, leave some space and once done go back and backstitch it.(reverse) The needles will make a difference. Don't get frustrated and have patients.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    "Sharp" needles are my preference but they can be difficult to find in some places. The "universal" is a hybrid between a "sharp" and a "ballpoint". Ballpoint needles are for use on knits and some stretch fabrics. Don't use them on woven fabrics like the polyester.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I just watched your video and I have a couple of observations. First I would suggest you work with the fabric in the other orientation. By that I mean run the fabric through with the bulk of the panel to the left of the presser foot rather than the right. This keeps the fabric from bunching up between the foot and the machine. It makes it easier to control the feed.

Make sure the needle is installed correctly. There is a proper direction for the needle. The flat side of the shank needs to sit in the proper place. There is no universal way of doing that. Each model can be different even between the same manufacturer. Make sure the bobbin thread comes out of the bobbin case properly. There is a feed direction for the bobbin that has to be right. Sometimes the bobbin unwinds off the top and sometimes off the bottom. There is an "inside" and "outside" face to the bobbin as well. That will put the bobbin in the proper unwinding position.

The problem seems to be with the locking process of the stitch. I am going to bet the needle is either in wrong or bent. When you just run the fabric through the hook and the loop don't line up. When you stretch the fabric it alters the alignment of the hook and the loop. It's an interesting puzzle. I don't have a definitive answer for you.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY tarp 2x3m
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Thanks all :-)
    I bought yesterday new needles, as i figured that might help. But in the shop i had onyl choice of 3 kinds, for leather, for jeans, and universal.
    I took the universal as they where the thinnest and looked quite sharp.

Tomorrow I will go to a specialized shop for fabrics and sewing stuff, I guess they will have there a bigger choice of needles.

For the foot, nope, no visible chance of adjusting it.
    Unless it is somewhere hidden below the machine or under some cover...?

Thanks again !

Hammock
    DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY tarp 2x3m
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Thanks Ramblinrev, the part about the fabric on the other side, that is how I usually do it, just not in this case due to the camera being there, it would be harder to film it doing it correctly :-)
    The needle is fine, it is new, especially bought it for this material yesterday, but still not good enough. The placing of the needle is in this machine quite fool proof, as the flat side makes it impossible to insert it wrongly, unless I didn't understand you correctly.

The bobbin part, well, the threading of the bobbin was a mystery for me for a long time, and the stitching was horrible.
    Until I asked an older lady who visited us if she had some knowledge about this stuff, and she showed me all the tricks and tips on threading the whole machine and bobbin.
    Ever since the stitching goes much better on the usual materials, except now for this thin polyester...

I'm going to try all the suggestions made above here tomorrow after buying appropriate needles, and then will post some updates on how it is going.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Don't worry about getting new needles. The universal are fine for what you are doing. If they are new then getting more new needles would not make a major difference in and of itself.

When did this problem start? If the machine worked properly after the lady helped you out then think back to what changes you made between her help and now. I am suggesting the needle is installed wrong. Yeah there is a flat side on the shank, but that flat side needs to be in the place. Trying reinstalling the needle again by turning it around 180*.

Also make sure your machine is threaded correctly. I noticed that you seem to miss at least one guide right there at the needle holder. The thread should come straight down the needle shaft, not angled in as shown in your vid. That could affect the loop formed under the machine which the hook guides the bobbin through. By holding the fabric tight you are changing the alignment of that loop.

Make sure that when you have the machine idle that the take up arm, (that bouncing gizmo the thread goes through, is at the full up position. As it is, its hard to see if the threading is right with a lot of slack in the thread. Somewhere, you've got a poor alignment that changes when you stretch the fabric. The only thing I can guess right at the moment is the needle is in wrong. As I suggested, take it out and turn it around and put it back in. Make sure it is in all the way as well.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Try opening the white colored door on the left of the machine. On my older Singer there is a numbered adjustment dial in there. This dial adjusts the height of the feed dogs. I had to adjust mine up about 1 or 2 settings when sewing lightweight nylon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast