Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

How do you sew a drawstring channel on a curve?

I'm working on a new project, and would like to make a cat cut, with a built in drawstring channel. Is it possible to make a drawstring channel on a curved /cat cut piece of fabric?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I have done it, I made a couple of ponchos and bivi bags with curved channels.

I needed to slit the fabric inside the hem at intervals, so the fabric curved without bunching. It didn't come out perfect but thats down to my lack of skills more than anything.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sure. The trick is to fold small segments of the hem, making sure that segment is being folded perpendicular to the edge of the fabric in that segment. As you go around the curve, that perpendicular is an ever-changing angle.

The edge of the fabric in a cat cut is shorter than the length of the curve you are going to sew. Therefore the fabric at the sea line is going to be very slightly bunched up whereas the edge that's folded over is going to be stretched tight. The difference in length of the seen line and the length of the cut edge is very small nut is is enough to make your hem a twisted looking mess. Then you will have difficulty getting the cord in the channel.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    I would be concerned about structural integrity slitting fabric on a bridge. I did it one fold at a time and lots of pins. It was harder that rolling around webbing and in the end I found the webbing more comfortable on the back of the legs.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I have done this on a much smaller arc. Around the bottom pannel of a SB to be honest. It was kind of a rounded rectangle shape. It was like my second or third gear mod and as is common for me I consulted the great sewing guru, Grandma!

She said, "Those curves are nothing more than longer straight lines. Just go slow keep your material taught and lined up with your guides and everything will be fine."

I followed her advice and it turned out rather well, I thought so anyway.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    One trick for sewing curves is to shorten the stitch length. The shorter the stitch length the shorter the arc of the curve sewn at any one time. As far as folding over, the small the folded fabric the less buckling you will get and the more easily you can ease the fabric around the curve.

Snipping the fabric is only needed when you are folding a convex curve. For a concave curve like a cat cut you should be able to simply fold the fabric like pleats and ease around the curve. Well, it sounds easier than it is. You can run a hand basting stitch along the allowance of the fabric and bunch it up to stabilize it while you pin and sew it. It's a pain, but it can be done.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO DN/Brazilian
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You can run a hand basting stitch along the allowance of the fabric and bunch it up to stabilize it while you pin and sew it. It's a pain, but it can be done.
    +1 Basting stitch works well, as long as you have a TON of patience. It is a PITA.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You can fold over some grosgrain or twill tape and make a nice channel. Skip the "hem" channel, unless it is neccessary for function somewhere in your design?

I've done really tight radius hems, so they can be done. Go slow, keep the stitch length short and SLOWLY work your way around the curve. If your machine has a speed adjust set it slow, or spin the wheel by hand for really slow-mo control.

• + New Posts