Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Modded new Guide Gear "12x12" Tarp as Hex

As most of you probably know, the new Guide Gear "12x12" tarps are actually measured 12' on the diagonal ( see Here ) I have been hanging under one of the old Guide Gear 9x9 camo tarps (aka Neo Tarps) for a while and always look up and think "this would make a nice minimalist hex tarp. Well, fast forward to yesterday evening upon arriving @ home and finding my new tarp on the doorstep. After reading the info in the above mentioned thread, I was not surprised by the size of the tarp, but I was VERY surprised by the weight. 15.9 oz with the stuff sack. The old 9x9 was 22.3 oz on my scale. Due to the weight difference, I'm a bit concerned about what that means for the waterproof properties of this tarp and the long term durability, but I'll try to report more on that later.

Of course, I could not help but try modding this already much lighter tarp. Well after a trip to Joann Fabric, and a SIGNIFICANT amount of time figuring out how to set up the bobbin on my wife's old sewing machine, the tarp was reborn. I chose to cut @ the tieouts to save sewing new ones, but you could cut it to have shorter sides if you don't mind sewing on the tieouts. I then did a simple hem on the cut edge and was done. After removing the carry handle from the stuff sack and replacing the drawcord with dynaglide and a mini cordloc. the final weight was 13.83 oz. When I stuff it, I stuff to the bottom, twist the loose end and pull it back over the whole tarp to make it smaller. I am very impressed with how small it packs, and the weight. Especially at the price ($18 + shipping).

Below are the pics of the modded tarp. I will try to get a pic of it pitched and a closeup on the tieouts on the cut side in the daylight, but it was about midnight when I finished it up, so only indoor pics for now. (Please excuse the messy house) There is also a comparison pic of an unmodded one and a maccat standard to give you an idea of coverage. (credit to Bannerstone for that pic.)

It may only be 2 oz saved, but hopefully this will help those who aspire to be gram weenies but are too cheap to buy expensive gear.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I like the idea! I understand the problems of the mis-representation of the product and all the chaos it has caused but I am looking forward to doing my best at liking what I still have recieved and this mod goes a long way!

You need to soak that bad boy and let us know how it holds up.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Nice work, thanks for the pics and the detailed description/instructions!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    I like the idea! I understand the problems of the mis-representation of the product and all the chaos it has caused but I am looking forward to doing my best at liking what I still have recieved and this mod goes a long way!

You need to soak that bad boy and let us know how it holds up.
    I fully agree that the mis-representation is a bad thing, but the tarp seems to be quite a value even at the actual dimensions. I'm hoping to do a soak test soon, but it may not be until the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    Nice work, thanks for the pics and the detailed description/instructions!
    Your Welcome!

I look forward to hearing about the results if anyone else does this mod.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk single
    Tarp
    Hay cover
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Talk about making lemonade! What a great idea - you might be able to find the fabric to diy for close to this price, but this way most of the work is already done for you.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Great mod there, theflb! Honestly, for me, the ease of set-up would outweigh the weight savings (terrible pun, that) in this mod. You need two less stakes, and thirty seconds less to set it up--and, if you've ever been caught by a 3 PM thunderstorm down here, well...y'know...

What's the dimension horizontally across the tarp? The GuideGears are 12 x 12 on the diagonal, so it's 12 x ? now, yes?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing and Knots
    I can mod this tarp and save myself $30.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I modified a GG 9x9 tarp a few years ago. It turned out nice. A bit small and minimalist though, but nice.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...9800#post39800

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Great mod there, theflb! Honestly, for me, the ease of set-up would outweigh the weight savings (terrible pun, that) in this mod. You need two less stakes, and thirty seconds less to set it up--and, if you've ever been caught by a 3 PM thunderstorm down here, well...y'know...
    Very good points, and same reasons that I like my other square/diamond tarps, (I have a true 12x12 & a 9x9) but I have found that with the single tieout point on each side it is hard to get a really tight pitch. I hope that this will be better for that. Plus it was just something interesting to try
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    What's the dimension horizontally across the tarp? The GuideGears are 12 x 12 on the diagonal, so it's 12 x ? now, yes?

Thanks!
    it is about 94" width from one cut side to the other. I had planned to cut it @ 6 ft width, but I was too lazy to sew the tieouts on. I also figured it would be easy to cut it more later if I wanted to.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I modified a GG 9x9 tarp a few years ago. It turned out nice. A bit small and minimalist though, but nice.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...9800#post39800
    Love it! That was exactly my thought process. seeing the seams on the old 9x9 started this train of thought.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast