Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theflb View Post
    Very good points, and same reasons that I like my other square/diamond tarps, (I have a true 12x12 & a 9x9) but I have found that with the single tieout point on each side it is hard to get a really tight pitch. I hope that this will be better for that. Plus it was just something interesting to try

it is about 94" width from one cut side to the other. I had planned to cut it @ 6 ft width, but I was too lazy to sew the tieouts on. I also figured it would be easy to cut it more later if I wanted to.
    Heh. Actually, I was thinking of using three stakes on each side rather than one, due to the aforementioned floppiness. Sorry if I was confusing there. I was actually trying to compliment you on removing a third tie-down point while retaining essential coverage.

Thanks for the measurements! So, it's just short of 12 x 8...hrm...that's actually really good coverage for summertime. Even in the thunderstorms down here...

Good deal!

Images
    Here are a few pics of it pitched.
    Oh no! my tarp grew legs! (That's actually my wife (theflg) for holding down the other side so i did not have to tie it out )

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Heh. Actually, I was thinking of using three stakes on each side rather than one, due to the aforementioned floppiness. Sorry if I was confusing there. I was actually trying to compliment you on removing a third tie-down point while retaining essential coverage.

Thanks for the measurements! So, it's just short of 12 x 8...hrm...that's actually really good coverage for summertime. Even in the thunderstorms down here...

Good deal!
    Ahh. I've got it now. Thanks! I was confused since I always just tie out the corners of my diamond tarps, and then curse @ the wind if it gets too windy.

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Wish I could get my wife to backpack w/me. Would save me a couple of oz.s on tarp stakes.
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    Hennesey Expedition
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Very nice mod. What was your total mod cost?

I'm also eager to see results of the rain test. I'm hearing conflicting reports about the factory "taped seams".
    SUSPENDO LIBERTAS

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stairguy View Post
    Wish I could get my wife to backpack w/me. Would save me a couple of oz.s on tarp stakes.
    The stakes are easier to pack though... I can't fit her in the pack without a compression sack and she really screams when I cinch down the straps...

Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazer007 View Post
    Very nice mod. What was your total mod cost?

I'm also eager to see results of the rain test. I'm hearing conflicting reports about the factory "taped seams".
    Total mod cost was high for me since I went ahead and got a rotary cutter ($20) and a spool of waterproof polyester thread. ($8) for future projects. It could easily be cut with scissors, so I would say for most it would be $8 for the thread to do the hem or $0 if you have any thread from sewing other projects. I should also note that without the trip to the store, threading the *!@#$ bobbin, and learning how to use a sewing machine that I had never used before; this mod would probably only take about 15-20 minutes to do.

I'm also very eager to see the results of the rain test, since if it fails there, then all of this is kind of pointless. I did take one of the leftover triangles and kind of gathered it into a pocket, filled that with water and squeezed it. It took a fair amount of pressure to get it to come through the fabric, so I am hopeful it will be OK.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theflb View Post
    Total mod cost was high for me since I went ahead and got a rotary cutter ($20) and a spool of waterproof polyester thread. ($8) for future projects. It could easily be cut with scissors, so I would say for most it would be $8 for the thread to do the hem or $0 if you have any thread from sewing other projects. I should also note that without the trip to the store, threading the *!@#$ bobbin, and learning how to use a sewing machine that I had never used before; this mod would probably only take about 15-20 minutes to do.
    Is the waterproof thread needed? Or can regular polyester thread be used? Seems like it wouldn't make much difference on the edge as long as it is something that won't rot. If it does make a difference, where can you get waterproof thread at?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    Is the waterproof thread needed? Or can regular polyester thread be used? Seems like it wouldn't make much difference on the edge as long as it is something that won't rot. If it does make a difference, where can you get waterproof thread at?
    I don't know much about thread/sewing, but i'm sure any 100% polyester thread would be fine. I believe this is just 100% polyester thread that is marketed for "outdoor projects"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Mine came in Monday and can you believe I haven't even pulled it out of the bag yet. Good looking tarp, will probably end up modding like this. Oh, good looking legs also!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY, ENO DN
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks so much for posting this with pics. My 12x12 came today and I'll probably just mod it out like this to get me thru summer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast