Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Another question that might be helpful is what is your size and what hammock you are using. Some hammocks tend to be better for shorter or taller people, that's why I was asking.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Plus one on getting better. Keep posting about problems. You'll get answer and it will get awesome!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I agree with everyone here in that it does get better with more practice.

Large trees can be difficult to work with at times. Many of us carry amsteel extenders or extra long tree straps for just such a thing.

As far as the cold, try snugging up your UQ more, it should lift the hammock when you are not in it and should be snug against you when you are. Run a hand between the hammock and the UQ and feel for gaps. Also have a friend lay in the hammock for you while you are outside adjusting everything, have them tell you where they feel and cool spots and try adjusting the UQ to better fit.

You may also find a UQ protector useful to help deal with the wind robbing your UQ of heat.

As far as side sleeping, try raising the foot end of the hammock about 15-20 cm higher than your head end while keeping a good sag in your hammock. I've found that this helps to let me be able to sleep on my back, both sides, and even my stomach.

Don't feel discouraged, I don't think any of us had a perfect first hang.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had to get a much longer set of straps for here in the PNW, as the trees are as big as you have in your photos & bigger. One thing that looks off is the angle of your straps, in part due to how tightly they're strung. You want that 30* angle, so that the tension across the bottom doesn't throw your legs up. If you have a good angle, you'll have an almost flat diagonal lay & be about there for side sleeping. You might throw a pad in the hammock itself as it will shield a lot more wind than a poor fitting UQ.

My first few nights were as simple as a cheap closed cell foam pad & inside a sleeping bag.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Std
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    It totally gets better. My first time out I froze my butt off. In a very short time I learned how to get the right hang, I got quilts and now I hang in total comfort. I could kick myself for not trying all this stuff sooner. I hate to think of all the time I wasted in tents.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I had to get a much longer set of straps for here in the PNW, as the trees are as big as you have in your photos & bigger. One thing that looks off is the angle of your straps, in part due to how tightly they're strung. You want that 30* angle, so that the tension across the bottom doesn't throw your legs up. If you have a good angle, you'll have an almost flat diagonal lay & be about there for side sleeping. You might throw a pad in the hammock itself as it will shield a lot more wind than a poor fitting UQ.

My first few nights were as simple as a cheap closed cell foam pad & inside a sleeping bag.
    Quick easy way to find 30*. Use your hand. When the hand is flat palm sideways like a hand shake the point from thumb to pointer finger is roughly 30*.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Nice bike!

It will get better because you are going through the trial and error needed to make it so. Much easier to sort out in the backyard though.

Critique?

1-A better fitting UQ. Maybe a bit more tweaking on your DIY rig to make it work? Even though pads are of the Devil (IMO) bring one with the UQ just for extra insulation.

2-Hang your tarp lower to put a better barrier between you and the breeze. Maybe even a square set up tarp for more coverage.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    One thing that I noticed about myself was whenever I would set up I was always trying to make sure I was doing everything correctly. Thing is ..... " correctly " is a little subjective. People share their experiences because that's what worked for them, and that's what we do here is share. Thing is that there's no really right or wrong way. Your first objective should be "am I doing this safely " your next objective is ..... What ever you want it to be. For some its max comfortability others its packability. We all address the same issues at some point in time but the order in which these tasks are tackled is up to the individual . There's no race to win although many of us enter it, theres no test score although many of us look for a grade. Surf the forum, take your time and enjoy your hammock. All in all it will get better and better but not as your hammock changes but as you change.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    There's a learning curve with hammocking; it's a little steeper than with tent or tarp camping because of the differences in how you have to think of things. However, it doesn't take long to figure out how to overcome the issues associated with hammocking.

Let's look at the issues you faced this time.

Site Selection: This is paramount, above all else. Proper site selection covereth a multitude of sins. Small tarps, bad weather, substandard insulation, etc. The only real help here is practice. However, there is a wonderful article by our very own Peter Pan on this that covers most of the basics.

Tree Huggers: Thank you for using these, especially on your first trip! Perception can be everything, and--unfortunately--hammocking is not mainstream enough for the general public (including park rangers and their superiors) to realize just how LNT it can be. That being said, getting or making longer huggers isn't hard. We have pines like the ones in your photos down here in FL, and my minimum hugger length is 6' (a little less than 2 m). Easy enough to fix............. and so on

+1, could not have put it better myself
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12